1/8th Scale Electric

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Dennis, This vid is from Our Canadian Nationals Fast Electric Race. It's the second heat.

Waiting from an answer from Mike on if I'll be allowed to run.

http://media.putfile.com/Petes-18

Last edited by a moderator:
The electrics even sound like the real unlimited turbine hydros. Gotta love it. :D . Great video.

Thanks .................. Randy

Last edited by a moderator:
So Lou are you going to make it to London?

Willing to enter it as a team .... I pay(enterance fee ) you drive and wrench on her.

You have to show them what a Battery powered boat will do.

PLEASE :)

Hey Tom, I'm working on it. I don't mind paying the entry fees but will need a pit man. Still waiting for an OK from Mike.

Thanks

Hey Tom, I'm working on it. I don't mind paying the entry fees but will need a pit man. Still waiting for an OK from Mike.

Thanks
For any of you electric guys in CA or who don't mind traveling to California we will welcome you to the Grand Prix Classic held in February of every year. I had hoped to see Randy Naylor out and a few more of you last year but he and the rest were no shows. I guess some of you are still scared of the Nitro here in CA. No slouches here. Many, Scale National Champions and Record holders in these parts. That's okay... we understand. I'd be scared to.

If any of you feel that you are ready to step up to the challenge we will make some accomodations for you. We won't make you run the full 30 second mill, just be sure you can run 7 laps (1 Mill Lap, and a 6 Lap race and I hope you don't jump start or cut/hit any buoys) before your batteries dump and a possible 7 times due to the Love Plan that we run. (4 qualifiers, B main, and the A main).

...You have been Challenged :lol:

Cool, Their are some dire hard amp heads out west just waiting. Thanks for the challange!!!!

Same Course Ian, 8 laps is max for me with Nimh cells
electric guys

What are some of your setups.

Im in the process of building my 96/97 dewalt 1/8th. Its been going on for the past 6months and nothing much has happen. Slack really

Wanting to know if the same setups used on the small electric oval are being used on the larger 1mile nitro.

I should be to concerned though - lipo cells will be the norm by the time i complete the hull. I'd better pull some finger.

David

Cool, Their are some dire hard amp heads out west just waiting. Thanks for the challange!!!!
For more information on the Grand Prix Classic visit our web page. http://www.grandprixclassic.com.

In past years we have had radio, newspaper and television coverage on Inside R/C. This year we working with the Vice Mayor of the Host city to move to a larger venue accessible to more spectator traffic. There's nothing like having a crowd cheering when you put down a good heat.

Wanting to know if the same setups used on the small electric oval are being used on the larger 1mile nitro.
Hi David, I'm always setup for the larger ovals, anything under 1/8th is to small. I would definatly plan your setup so you can easily switch to Lipo cells.

Don't worry about a pit person you will have one no problem.
Thanks

Tom

Still no OK from Mike :(

No Go for the 1/8th scale :( Rules are specific as to the power plant used and it will be a points race. But I can run Open Mono. Should be at least 2 electric Mono's running :D

Hi Dave,The most popular set up I have seen and used is a Lehner 2280 on 32 cells or 10s lypo.We are using anywere from 12 to 10 turns witha 57 to 62mm prop.

The neat thing about the FE 8th scales is that they do sound like real tubine boats.

The motors dont care about ambient temprature or humidity or mean altitude.

The motor will run just as good 2 years from now as the day you bought it.

There isnt any black magic to tuning the motors because there is nothing to fiddle with other than upgrading the bearings.

If we are talking lipos,there is no zapping,matching or tweeking so everyones are basicly the same.

So you will have to just plane have a better boat or be a better driver to win an FE event.

Now that is just the most popular set ups but remember 8th FE is only 3 years old.

Neu,Plettinburg and otheres have large motors that are being tested right now trying to pin down the right wind.So you should have more options soon along with some battery options as well.

I think FE 8th will be huge some day.There is nothing as pretty as your turbine pickle pulling away slowly from the shore as you ease into the throttle and then hereing the the "turbine wine" and water thudding on the boat as she makes a full boogy pass.

No Go for the 1/8th scale :( Rules are specific as to the power plant used and it will be a points race. But I can run Open Mono. Should be at least 2 electric Mono's running :D

Darn...

Would have loved to see the looks of some of the other racers :eek: :eek: :huh: there when they saw her run with the nitros.

perhaps they will let you do a demo run with a nitro on the water to give them a wake up call to the advancment in FE tech over the years.

Okay ... you old schoold guys are gonna flip when you hear this. I CD'd a small race last weekend and we had an electric racer run his Phil Thomas Scale with the nitro guys. I would have to estimate his speed close to 60 mph. He was holding his own against Oliver Douglas' Miss Bardhall. If you have ever seen Olly's round nose, you know it is very quick. The electric racer told me that he was getting some new light weight battery packs that would make the boat even faster. I could not believe the speeds the electrics are racing at. They have come a long way the past few years.

On a side note, we had a few ''open'' classes where gas, nitro, and electrics raced against each other. These were some of the best heats raced. The speeds were all very equal.

After seeing what these Electric Scales can do, I would have to give them the thumbs up to race with the nitros.

Alright ..... I have my bullet proof vest on ......... start shooting. :(

Thanks .................. Randy

Latest posts

Back