1/8th Atlas van lines hydro

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a 1/8th scale hydro kit I btought from dumas back in the early 90's.I just put it together this winter that went by.I used all the ornignal hardware.The problem I got is with the strut.I went by the instructions.I would like to know how far I got to have the strut in the water about an 1" 5/16 or uo near the surface.

I have a 1/8th scale hydro kit I btought from dumas back in the early 90's.I just put it together this winter that went by.I used all the ornignal hardware.The problem I got is with the strut.I went by the instructions.I would like to know how far I got to have the strut in the water about an 1" 5/16 or uo near the surface.
One thing you can try to just get the boat runnable is to adjust the strut so that the bottom of the boat is somewhat level when sitting on a table...what engine are you running? If you built the boat stock you may have a few "issues"....are you going to run the boat for fun, or race it?

I agree with Bill on this one. Set the strut deep enough to get the rear bottom level and then add 1/2 the thickness of the round part of the strut so that the shaft centerline is even with the bottom of the sponsons. From there, you can start tweeking. Just out of curiosity, did you make any changes to the build, such as lightening holes or any other changes?

Leslie, I am just beginning my own build of a Dumas Atlas, my first wood scale 1/8 hydro. Any tips you can share with me on your build I would definitely appreciate. I did put lightening holes in frames amd added a thin aluminum strip to the inside of the transom and the turn fin side sponson. I too will be using the stock hardware in the kit. This is going to be a scale starter/play boat. I am already getting a laser cut kit and accutech hardware to follow for my 2nd boat along with Newton plans. Any comments from anyone on this approach is greatly appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Leslie and Mark, if your building and running for fun/first boats, thats cool....BUT....Mark, if you build from Newton plans and/or a lazer cut kit for your second build, i pretty sure you will see an UNBELIEVABLE difference in how well your 2nd boat runs and handles! Im not bashing Dumas kits as both HJ and i have built several, but there is a huge difference in design and performance...there are alot of excellent scale builders/racers on this site that will help you guys out if needed...ive been running/racing Scale boats for a couple of years now and have gotten a ton of help from guys on here and in person! A great group of people! :)

The Dumas kits have a divot in the center bottom aft of hull - you should keep the bottom flat and do not put the ride pads on the sponsons. You will need to use a long slender radio box to route the exh. thru the transom. Stringers on my old AVL were not 5" apart so I bottom mounted the eng.(Mike Hughes makes nice ones). Put doublers of birch ply or c/f where all the hardeware mounts(inside and out)- the luan mahogony used in the kits compresses easily and all your fasteners will loosen and elongate the holes. Make or buy a turn fin about 1" longer. 8-32 or 10-32 fasteners on the fin mt.

Good luck,

Glenn

The Dumas kits have a divot in the center bottom aft of hull - you should keep the bottom flat and do not put the ride pads on the sponsons. You will need to use a long slender radio box to route the exh. thru the transom. Stringers on my old AVL were not 5" apart so I bottom mounted the eng.(Mike Hughes makes nice ones). Put doublers of birch ply or c/f where all the hardeware mounts(inside and out)- the luan mahogony used in the kits compresses easily and all your fasteners will loosen and elongate the holes. Make or buy a turn fin about 1" longer. 8-32 or 10-32 fasteners on the fin mt.

Good luck,

Glenn
Thats a good start..aint it Glenn! :D :D

Back