1/8 scale

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nitronewbie

Looking for opinions, I want to start an 1/8 scale project! But I'm not in a position

to take a set of newton's plans and build one from scratch. My work area just does not allow it right now. What kits or glass hulls are avalible on the market other than the 2 dumas kits? I'm looking at Dumas's Miller American as a possiblity. What about Areomarines Miller American? Phil Thomas's 1/8 scale is not my favorite, but maybe. I'm not looking for a complete model but a partially finished one that someone is tired of! Maybe? Any ideas? Thanks guys

Hey John,

What sort of boat are you looking for? Modern turbine design, little older piston design or I take it your not interested in the older round bow boat designs. Phil Thomas has a rear wingless pickle fork that is perfect for someone that is new to 1/8th scale hydros, it is easy to finish and set up compared to a boat with a rear wing, and you don't have to worry about the wings getting knocked off. Dick Caspari of Thunderboat Reproductions, Wichita, KS is one source 316-685-8611, but you will have a long wait for one of his hulls and I really wouldn't recommend them for a complete scale novice. Troy McIntire of R/C Sportscraft Kennewick, WA is another 509-783-8452. Troy's boats are in epoxy resin and do require a lot of work to get to the finishing stage. Aeromarine has the 7-11, Miller American & Budweiser scale boats, nice hulls but some are kinda heavy. If you can find one of them the scale hulls from Steve Muck of the Dallas, TX area are excellent boats as well.

Building a wooden hull you only have 2 options at the present, Dumas Miller American or the Circus Circus, which buy the way can also be done up as the Miller High Life U-31 1988. If you are looking for a wooden incomplete project put up an ad in the Intlwaters for sale section and keep an eye on e-bay, but I would be very careful buying one from anyone there as you never know what to expect.

Good luck on your quest

Last edited by a moderator:
oh yeah,

Roy Munoz has a brand new Winston Eagle for sale still in the box, great boat. He's on the board, contact him.

you might consider henry velascos glass boat the squire shop 3 point very nice boat and very competative. i have an ira cotton 1977 oh boy oberto i might let go for the right price. it is less engine and radio everything else is there.

4-est performance---do you have any pictures of the "oh boy oberto"

Rodney--is Roy's winston eagle the lobster design?? and Don F. sent me a link to

one of your old boats that is for sale. what do you think about that deal?

Troy is going to be sending his catalog also

and Bill "thanks" for the list up top with Phone # after the holidays I'll be making some phone calls

thanks guys

The old Atlas is a great boat and ran and handled the way a good hydro should. It's a really good boat. The guy selling it bought it for an electric boat but that size hull never took off. It's also a little too heavy for electric boats becasue those guys are running 3-4 pound boats. This one's slightly heavier which is what you'll need for nitro, you'd be happy with it.

As for Roy's boat it's a Troy McIntyre hull and it is not the Lobster. It is something like the 2000 to 2003 year hull. e-mail Roy, he's as traight up guy, a great boater and a real boat enthuisiast. He'll send you his number so you can talk to him. I had personally been bugging Roy to buy it but havesince purchased a Thunder Boat Reproduction hull as well as a Phil Thomas 82u55 and own a Troy McIntyre Ms. Weisfield's.

Roy's Winston is the 91'. Last time I looked it wasn't painted yet but he did a great job building it!

Now that he's retired it seems a lot of scale projects from guys in our district find there way into Roy's garage. He does very good work!

Rodney, which of the three scales will you be racing at the Grand Prix in Feb?

Last edited by a moderator:
Glenn,

Probably the Ms. Executone. Me and Roy are gonna be doing some changes to the TBR boat so I don't think it'll be ready by then, plus I gave Jeff Wells the Ms. Executone to run at the Grand Prix.

What are you gonna run?

nitronewbie said:
Looking for opinions, I want to start an 1/8 scale project! But I'm not in a positionto take a set of newton's plans and build one from scratch. My work area just does not allow it right now. What kits or glass hulls are avalible on the market other than the 2 dumas kits? I'm looking at Dumas's Miller American as a possiblity. What about Areomarines Miller American?  Phil Thomas's 1/8 scale is not my favorite, but maybe. I'm not looking for a complete model but a partially finished one that someone is tired of!  Maybe?      Any ideas?  Thanks guys

78967[/snapback]

And if you really want to go for the gusto.........

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...me=STRK:MESE:IT

Back