1/8 Scale Porsche 917/10

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sam Peden

Hi Just thought I would share some pics of Dads model he built for the 1993 IFMAR World champs concourse. Enjoy.

Cheers, Sam.001.jpg002.jpg003.jpg

Love it - beautiful - based off of Associated RC500?? (With a lot of custom detail!)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Jordan, Serpent chassis, front and rear end. All the rest is completely scratch built. Fibreglass body, billet alloy wheels etc...

Would love to see and hear a real one. Probably will never see one down under though. We get a few other can am cars out here time to time.

Would love to see and hear a real one. Probably will never see one down under though. We get a few other can am cars out here time to time.
Best I could do.
default_cool.png

Sam, I remember your father showing that car to me at a race meet once, It is amazing to see it up close!

The attention to detail is incredible. Even the door locks made the correct 'click' when closed.

That's an absolutely beautiful model of the famous "L&M" Can-Am car. At first I assumed it was a 1/8th scale static Tamiya kit, did'nt realize it is a Serpent 1/8 scale RC chassis underneath? and custom made billet rims? wow!

I like how he fabricated the rigging below the rear-wing.

I am lucky to have actually witnessed these cars racing back in the early 1970's here at famous Riverside International Raceway (I was probably 11 or 12 years old). They had the popular "Reynolds Aluminum" sponsored McLaren M8, the "Sunoco" sponsored Porsche 917/30, and several others. Quite a good-sized field. Riverside had the famous "S" turn section (or the "Esses"). If you were lucky to sit in the grand-stands at the top of turn-6 the whole fleet of CanAm's would come roaring towards you, snaking through the esses, in one long single file formation. The roar of the many Chevy V-8's sounded cool, very similiar to hearing racing Corvette's on a road course- very strong deep roar.

However, that famous Sunoco Porsche 917 (driven by Mark Donahue) sounded incredibly different from everything else. It is a 16-cylinder twin-turbo, can't describe it . You did'nt hear it until it got right up in front of you. You hear the whistle of the turbo, then you'd hear the deep growl right after. This car was out of it's class. It would lead every lap with ease, did'nt seem fair
default_smile.png

If I can dig up my dad's original pictures (35mm slides) I'll post a few here.

I also have a few Serpent RC cars (purchased back in the 1990's). I run them every-so-often. Attatched is a Serpent Impact-2 1/10 scale I built. Powered by a (NovaRossi designed) Mega SX-15 engine. 2-speed gear-box, these cars really fly.

Serpent_Impact-2_Mega-SX15_FrontProfile_01.jpg

Serpent_Impact-2_Mega-SX15_Front_01.jpg

Serpent_Impact-2_Mega-SX15_Top_01.jpg

Serpent_Impact-2_Mega-SX15_Rear_01.jpg

RiversideRaceway_S-Turns_CanAm_01.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi David, Soooo Jealous! I think they should bring Can Am Back! Roger Penske and Mark Donohue Blew away the chevy Mclarens with their Porsche's. Your Marlboro car looks awesome!

Ian, I think a few of Jock's cars were in Airborne, I was very young at the time though.

Cheers, Sam.

Latest posts

Back