1/8 Scale/nitro - Drain Plugs?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dschigoda

I was an active RC boat racer in the '80's, and I'm now looking to get back into it. I have a couple of 1/8 scale kits from MLBoatworks (Renault and Vernors-roundnose). I plan to run nitro (IMPBA Dist. 4) . I never put drain plugs in my wood tunnel outboards (long ago). But I hear I might need to put them in my wood scale boats? Are they necessary? If so, what do guys use for the plugs? Would radio box tape work for this?

Thanks.

There are several things you could use as drain plugs:

1) radio box tape

2) if you can find them, the drain plugs from the Pro Boat hydroplanes

3) I've seen automotive freeze plugs used

4) set screws screwed into threaded inserts

5) anything else you can think of that can plug a drain hole

Yes, they are needed as all wooden boats(not including WOF) will eventually start to leak. Also, be sure to coat the inside of the boat with some kind of water barrier. Otherwise, you will be looking at a hull that will rot from the inside out

Last edited by a moderator:
Dave

Welcome to Dist. 4. This is my Dist. too. I run 1/8 scale with the 1979 Jeronimo boat. I just got 2 holes in the back of the boat that I just tape up before I run it. You might also put two holes in the back of the frt. sponsons if you a building a wood boat. We are having a race this Sat. AND Sunday in Mendota if you would like to come out and see some scale boats. Ken

For a rubber drain plug, check out LXMNK8 at tower hobbies. $1.35 each, they're the drain plugs that were supplied with the TS2 tunnel, & still available.

Back