1/8 Scale Hulls ... Opinions

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimi911

I am doing my research for a 1/8 Scale Hydro to run locally with the Nitro guys. I race FE and I will be building one over the fall and winter.

I have not had the opportunity to see these things up close so I am still trying to figure out what hull to get.

I want a glass hull. I see lots of them have different layups. I would want a light one as I'll be carring more weight.

What are the best glass hulls out there?

I like the Circus Circus boats of the late 80s from when I was a kid. I know Steve Muck makes or made them how are they?

I have 5 Hydro&Marine hulls. I know they make some 1/8 scales ... any opinions on those?

Anway, any help would be great. Cheers!

Okay, let's get you back to page 1 instead of page 3.

Page 1) First thing you need to do is find a club that runs scale boats

Page 2) Contact the clubs registrar and see if any of the boats you like are available

Page 3) Once you have a boat chosen, let us know which boat you need so we can help you find a source to get it

Page 4) Once you found a hull source, go back and register your boat

Page 5) Prep, equip and paint boat as desired, then get it approved to race. Many clubs require a tech and appearance inspection before being allowed to race

Page 6) Take your drivers tests if required. R/C Unlimiteds and Unlimiteds NW both require a verbal and driving test

Page 7) Go race

I'm curious as to why you will be carrying more weight? All scale boats run with 16-20 ounces of fuel, a .67 for engine w/pipe and a 2 or more channel radio. Unless you are running hardware made from steel or lead, there isn't much difference to be found there either. Are you planning on lots of lead balast or something?

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think I was clear enough ...

I run Electric Race Boats. I race in Canada. In our IMPBA region we have a 1/8 class that permits electrics to run against Nitros. I will also run my boat against other electrics in straight FE races. Getting one of these boats or an open boat allows me to run my electric gear at my nitro races which opens up a lot more races for me. There are plenty of boat options and I have choice so I want to see what hulls are available so I make the right choice.

I will be running 10s2p lipo, large can motor ... thats adds a significant amount of weight to a rig.

Now ... about hull options ... what are good hulls.

Last edited by a moderator:
jimi911? I have the BUD 2000 T5 kit It is all epoxy hull light but strong. There have been several setup for electric power.

have you seen any electric scale hydro? I guess you are in dist 1? They do run with the nitro if set up well.

jimi911? I have the BUD 2000 T5 kit It is all epoxy hull light but strong. There have been several setup for electric power.have you seen any electric scale hydro? I guess you are in dist 1? They do run with the nitro if set up well.
Yours was the first one I thought of, but I am almost positive the Bud, Elam, Llumar, and maybe another are already done. I am not sure what other boats are possible with that hull. I know there is that allison engine one, but I am not too keen on that design and it would take away some space for my angled motor mount.

Is the fountain hull the same?

jimi911? I have the BUD 2000 T5 kit It is all epoxy hull light but strong. There have been several setup for electric power.have you seen any electric scale hydro? I guess you are in dist 1? They do run with the nitro if set up well.
Yours was the first one I thought of, but I am almost positive the Bud, Elam, Llumar, and maybe another are already done. I am not sure what other boats are possible with that hull. I know there is that allison engine one, but I am not too keen on that design and it would take away some space for my angled motor mount.

Is the fountain hull the same?
The new foumula boat is possible Just do some minor mods to make the scale details.

Most of the new boats are pretty similar, get the pictures of what you want first then look for a hull.

The U3 Coopers V12 boat is possible too you could make a engine well cover that the fake turbo allison would sit on. Some one makes a detailed motor for the electric scales, vacum formed plastic.

I have pictures of the new boats if youneed something to go by.

You can call me at 217 358 3167 for more info.

PHIL

Back