1/8 Scale Fiberglass Hulls

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlanN

Looking for a 1/8 scale and was wonder who else besides Phil Thomas makes one in fiberglass. Steve Muck...I know of but do not have his website.

Any other makers of such hulls?

Websites would be appreciated.

Thanks

Alan

ps Looking for modern turbine style p/f

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe some of you real scale guys will take offense but I am not looking for a particular boat.

I just want a modern turbine style that I can run electric. I really would rather not have to build a wooden one just yet.

Anyone got one for sale?

Thanks for websites

Hi Alan,Glad to see you are looking into 8th FE.I did alot of lookin and it seems that weather you are looking for a kit or a built up hull its slim pickins.Boy if someone was to do a couple of turbines theyn would clean up.Did you notice the Phil thomas Eagle ? I almost got that one.Aeromarines bud looks doable with some sponson work.I have heard of Thunderboat reproductions but havent found alot on them and heard that getting a hull takes some time.

As long as 8th has been around I would have hoped to had more ready made hulls.I heard tha Jim Vahn may not be building his H and M T-Plus.Jim says the boat is a little "Stylized"But could be modified to look real good.I could ask if you like.Other than that.You may be able to get some one to build you a Kit boat.The Dumas Circus is still around and I think with some Mods may do some other boats.The MHZ Bud was a good hull.Dont know if there are any other boats it would do_Oh and if anyone knows I am looking for the paint codes for the 2004 U8 Llumar.

Thanks DW but I may have found something...not sure yet.

Color....ummm pea green?

Dennis Whitt said:
Boy if someone was to do a couple of turbines theyn would clean up.
106130[/snapback]

P Thomas has turbine Bud T-5. There are others but he'd be the fastest way to go unless you buy used. Again if you guys aren't specific on what you want it'd be hard to help.

I a have bud style hull that I can sell to you real cheap if your interest AlaN

I was really trying to stay away from the common Bud paint schemes but as I think about it...it's the start of an expensive experiment.

myrcbud: got any pics? I would be interested. Why do you wish to sell? Newer hullin mind or is your wife nagging you about that big toy you have? :) What kind of speeds is the hull rated for? I know I should be in the 50's and possibly more with my setup. Whats the dry weight less the motor and tank?

The main reason I wanted a more modern hull was for the extra wing(down force) and the larger opening to allow air to escape.

I really love Steve Mucks and Phil Thomas' stuff but with the electric setup I think I'll be running lighter than the gas versions and am afraid of trapping too much air=blowover.

Phil Thomas' hull that Kelly runs, Miss Elam, is beautiful but I only know of 3 versions that it can be made in. Miss Llumar/Elam/Bud. I don't really care for the Vactionville. Can this hull be made to other versions/schemes?

His (phils) O' Boy also strikes me but so far have excluded it for the reasons stated above. Of course I am looking for the experienced guidance on this one.

I have seen some electric guys having difficulty getting the weight far enough forward.

AlanN said:
I would be interested.  Why do you wish to sell?  Newer hullin mind or is your wife nagging you about that big toy you have? :)   What kind of speeds is the hull rated for
106217[/snapback]

I'm sure he's wanting to sell because you asked for help finding a boat!

Hey Alan,

Phils Oberto hull would be a good pick. There's plenty of room in Phils boats so setups aren't so bad. He also has a wing set for that boat if I'm not mistaken. Just buy it and build it, quite thinking so hard, lol. :blink:

Paul.

Selling it because I have to go to Iraq and won't be back til sometime next year. That and because I have 2 other boat projects in front of it that have to be moved to Florida and would rather the hull get wet instead of collect 6 to 8 months worth of dust.

Forgot to mention that it's a Steve Muck hull. Just a Bare hull and cowl without wings. I can send pics by email.

Hi Alan, Another source would be Bill Fritz Scale Hydros 69 - 26th St. NW Massillon, OH 44647. I believe he has a Bud hull but I'm unsure of what specific Master Hull Roster number. He does beautiful epoxy glasswork. Check www.namba.com for online Master Hull Roster. Phil Thomas's MHR 8255 hull will make a number of hulls, some with tail feathers, but none of turbine type hulls. Cheers !!! Bob

Dasboatman said:
Hi Alan, Another source would be Bill Fritz Scale Hydros 69 - 26th St. NW Massillon, OH 44647. I believe he has a Bud hull but I'm unsure of what specific Master Hull Roster number. He does beautiful epoxy glasswork. Check www.namba.com for online Master Hull Roster. Phil Thomas's MHR 8255 hull will make a number of hulls, some with tail feathers, but none of turbine type hulls. Cheers !!!  Bob
106278[/snapback]

Fritz builds a very,very nice hull but the typical wait is 1 to 2 years.

I like Dick Caspari's hulls (once you make them correct) build time a year minimum wait IF you're lucky.

Troy McIntire also has good boats 6-12 months is typical from feedback I've gotten.

Doug Sheperd builds a few different boats & his work is very nice, but don't hold your breath getting one. I tried for over 2 years just to get a couple parts for a DPS hull I had, I gave up. :blink:

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks guys for all your input.

That's why I wasn't being too specific. Alot of variety so far.

myrcbud: I am interested in your hull. I wasn't trying to be offensive....it just comes out naturally in me! :) I would be interested in your Steve Muck hull. E mail address: [email protected] Sorry to have to travel abroad...keep safe.

Bill Fritz...Massilon...that's about an hour drive from my house. I'll have to check out his stuff too!

Paul: I really do like the O'Boy...still thinking 'bout it. Why watcha got going for yourself these days...made your move yet?

Alan I take no offense I'm still working on conveincing my wife to take pictures. I tote a rifle for the Marine Corps so I'm a rock when it comes to computers. If it weren't for her I wouldn't even have an avitar for this forum. :huh: :p

Dasboatman said:
Another source would be Bill Fritz Scale Hydros 69 - 26th St. NW Massillon, OH 44647. I believe he has a Bud hull but I'm unsure of what specific Master Hull Roster number. 
106278[/snapback]

Not sure how accurate the story is but I heard Bill Fritz sold his molds.

Glenn 787 said:
Dasboatman said:
Another source would be Bill Fritz Scale Hydros 69 - 26th St. NW Massillon, OH 44647. I believe he has a Bud hull but I'm unsure of what specific Master Hull Roster number. 
106278[/snapback]

Not sure how accurate the story is but I heard Bill Fritz sold his molds.

106311[/snapback]

I just had a Fritz hull painted and the guys painting it told me it was the nicest boat thay have ever painted,with some midnite oil and a few brass screws i might make it to the nats. But its a round nose. Good luck with your eletric adventure....Mikey

Hey again Alan, I just noticed that I had not included the phone number I have for Bill Fritz. His business card shows (216/330)833-0712. I haven't spoken with Bill since I left Florida. We have been using his cowls for MHR 8255 hulls over the years on wood over foam 1/8 nitro Scale boats. If he is that close to you, and you are able to contact him, Tell him Bob Johnson says HELLO!!! I would be interested to resolve the "Sold the Molds" statement mentioned earlier. CHEERS !!! Bob

Back