1/2A OPC?? :^)

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rod,

Can you or David post the pics of the boat showing the geared motor/lower? I remember seeing pics in the past but it would be great to see them again. Cool video.

Thanks for posting Rod. That is a really cool gearbox design. Counting the teeth on the gears in an earlier pic you posted, looks like you are using a 25 to 32 tooth gear set which would yield a ratio of about 1.28:1, (engine gear= 1.28, PTO gear=1)? If that is the case, 40,000 RPM engine would compute to about 31250 RPM prop speed. 1.8" of pitch at that RPM, taking in account some slippage, would get you around 50 mph!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Dang...that was at our old mud hole. That seemed like just yesterday. We would meet every Sunday afternoon at 2:00pm and run until dark. That pond was real close to the house but it had an island in the middle of it that was about 60 feet long, 10 feet wide and about 1 foot high. It was so convenient we decided to take the island out. So we built a dredge and dredged the island down about 24 inches below the surface. I am not sure if David was running there when we did that but during real dry weather the level would drop enough for it to resurface.

David, we need to find a pond somewhere between here and Birmingham. Let me know if you know of anything. There are a few ponds off the interstate between here and your place. My son lives in Chesea maybe he knows of somewhere we could meet and run.

-Carl

Last edited by a moderator:
Rod,

The finned rectangular item with the pressure fitting in the top of it, is that just an oil reservoir?

Tim

Thanks for posting Rod. That is a really cool gearbox design. Counting the teeth on the gears in an earlier pic you posted, looks like you are using a 25 to 32 tooth gear set which would yield a ratio of about 1.28:1, (engine gear= 1.28, PTO gear=1)? If that is the case, 40,000 RPM engine would compute to about 31250 RPM prop speed. 1.8" of pitch at that RPM, taking in account some slippage, would get you around 50 mph!!!
It has been a while but that sounds right....

Isn't that an old boat from Tommy Lee?????

I hope the guys are going further this way of geared setups, quite interesting stuff
Yes it is....This boat was built in 1996 for the Sport .21 class at the Ft.Wayne Internats.....

Tommy ran the boat for a couple of years and it suffered several wrecks.I have put the boat back together a couple of times....hence its increase in weight over the years.

When Tommy retired he gave me the boat and it sat on my shelf with a K&B 21 until 2006 strictly for display...When the .12 outboard project

came along,David and I thought this would be a good boat for that effort.I gave the boat to David Hall and it came out of retirement... The boat currently is sitting on a shelf in Hoover Alabama just

waiting to be called back into service.....
I Thought I had seen that boat before ...... If I remember correctly that was 1 of the boats you and Tommy tested down at the river ..... LoL ....

You 2 were my hero's back then and still are ........

Thank you Rod & your partner Tommy for the memory's sir .........

Rick Reisinger

P.S. Back in outboard's

Welcome home Rick.....
default_smile.png

Rod,

The finned rectangular item with the pressure fitting in the top of it, is that just an oil reservoir?

Tim
Tim you are right. What you cant see is it has a bottom in it that has about a .040" hole that lets the oil slowly drip into the gearbox.

David

Carl just saw your comment about the lake. There has to be a lake between here and there.

I will be looking for one. The state has been digging gravel out of a vein that is about 5 or 6 miles north of me on hwy 143 and have made some impressive size ponds but I am not sure if they will let us run there yet. I will contact some people and try to find out who is in charge of that operation. Where are you running now?

-Carl

In Huntsville. We have scheduled play days in between our time trials and races. I sure don't have a problem driving your way a couple times a month.

Back