1/10th scale "103" shovelnose build- Decided to have a little fun!

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Luszcz

Vendor
What does the guy with over 100 laser cut scale kits do when he is bored...cut out a frame kit on the band saw instead of purchasing a laser cut kit of course! I printed out a set of 1/10th scale plans from my laser cut templates,and decided to see how much I like my new bandsaw. I have not cut a frame kit in probably 3 years, so I wanted to see if I was up to the challenge! 3 hours later I had the kit cut and fitted together! I took the paper drawn parts, and contact glued them to the face of the ply I was cutting, and ran it through the band saw and it worked pretty well. My laser guy is backed up with my customers orders, and I have had the itch for a shovel nose build for a while, so decided to just do it. It will either be the Hawaii Kai III, '70 U-00 Lil Buzzard, or the '69 U-25 Hook tail Pak. I am leaning towards the hook tail. Enjoy the pics, Mike

The real boat:

103c.jpg

DSCF3565.jpg

DSCF3566.jpg

DSCF3567.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks everyone. This build is turning into a favorite! I am really liking the shovel nose looks and build. I got a LOT done last night. The rear half of the boat is all glued in, and the front half, while it looks glued in is just taped in place and ready for glue. I still have to put some basswood sticks into some of the openings which is why I have not glued it yet, but it is good and square on the granite, which is nice! The only thing I hate is I may have this thing done very fast and I am enjoying the build to much! I do plan on just offering a sheeting kit for this 103 1/10th scale kit since I am making templates. I actually already had the floor pan designed in cad, so I just printed it out on paper, and hand cut it like I did the rest of this kit. I have decided it will be the '69 Pay N Pak Hook tail. Here are some pics. Mike

DSCF3572Large.jpg

DSCF3573Large.jpg

DSCF3574Large.jpg

DSCF3575Large.jpg

DSCF3576Large.jpg

John, I am making sheeting templates as well, so this will be a full kit available. Here is last nights progress. All sticks installed. I was hoping to get the sponsons sheeted, but ran out of time. Did get the sponson non trip pattern made and have wood ready to cut when I get home! Mike

DSCF3581.jpg

DSCF3582.jpg

DSCF3583.jpg

DSCF3585.jpg

Thanks, I got the sponson non trip and ride pads on last night. I plan to put a narrower secondary ride later in the build, but want to get the inside epoxied, hardware fitted, and top decks on, then I will revisit the bottom so I don't risk nicking the pad while doing other things! Also started making templates for the top deck. I found doing two center front strips, and two outside strips, and then rear separately will be the way to go. The compound curve on the hull this size with 1/16" is just to risky to me as I do not want waves in the decking where filler has to be added. I am making templates as I go so this can come with the kit. So far so good! Also made a little skid fin last night from a turtle damaged Virginia Craftsman sport 20 fin. I cut, shaped and cleaned up the edge and face. It should do fine for a boat of this size and speed, and the fact I don't plan to race it anyways! Just want a good realistic running hull. Mike

DSCF3593_zpsc653bd1e.jpg

DSCF3591_zps0e464a2a.jpg

DSCF3592_zps6163255d.jpg

DSCF3594_zps8f3a0752.jpg

DSCF3595_zpsf7fe3d48.jpg

Got more done this weekend. Here are the pics. As you can see, got the dummy motor inset tray built, rear hatch built with the complex curve! Had to soak the ply and shape from there. Carbon Veil installed and interior epoxied. Its starting to look good! Mike

DSCF3598_zpsb706ff99.jpg

DSCF3599_zpse3ffc342.jpg

DSCF3600_zps5997227e.jpg

DSCF3601_zps7817b682.jpg

DSCF3602_zps4cd1dc20.jpg

DSCF3603_zps0cbff508.jpg

Thanks Rodney.

I got some cool stuff in the mail yesterday. Got my cowling, dashboard, steering wheel, misc cockpit parts, and a cool rudder he had that is about the nicest I have seen for a boat this size from Mark at RMHydroplanes.com. I also received my Castle Ice 100 esc, and Scorpion HK3226-1600kv motor. So now I have the majority of what I need to move forward with the build. As you can see, I went right to modifying, and fitting the cowling. I decided, with the way this boat is built, that I will make the rear hatch held on with neodymium magnets and keep it a semi "wet well" as nothing will be in there of any significance . I plan on having the electronics all in pockets in the forward cabin, and that will be a tape down hatch. This shovel nose has so much room its amazing compared to pickle fork hydros! Anyways, I am pretty happy with things so far. This boat is not going to be used in a NAMBA race event, so I am overbuilding it, and making it a solid, long lasting boat. This is why I went with a motor slightly larger than allowed to push the possible extra weight I may end up with, but honestly, its still very light, and I suspect it will not be more than 6 or so lbs, which is a significant change vs. the 16lb FE 1/8th scales I am use to! More to come real soon! Mike

Picture002Large_zps951daabf.jpg

Picture003Large_zps2d3001b7.jpg

Picture004Large_zps7f096def.jpg

Picture008Large_zpsfdf9a36b.jpg

Picture010Large_zps08fc6fef.jpg

Mike,

What are the specs on the rudder? I didn't see it on their website.

Boat is looking great.

Have a Merry Christmas.

John

Hey John, its part number 1301...but its been discontinues. I got lucky finding this one! Merry Chistmas to you and your family! Mike

I have gotten a lot done over the holidays. Decks are on and i did away with the original drop in hatch as I feel the change i made more correctly represents the hull. Its now on its 3rd prime coat and getting close. Picked up the light persimmon metallic paint. Enjoy the pics. Mike

20121230_172847.jpg

20121230_172859.jpg

20121230_172928.jpg

20121230_172917.jpg

Latest posts

Back