2012 ML Boatworks- Spirit of Qatar 1/8th scale "Extreme Series" build

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Luszcz

Vendor
Well, one of the winter build projects I am working on for a customer is the 2012 Spirit of Qatar. This will be a full start to finish build, and turn key as FE. This racer lives in the California area and will be racing at the Namba Nats. When this project came up, I decided to turn the old T6 kit, into a mild version of the Extreme Series hulls I have worked on. While this kit has all the Extreme features, its only lacking is the fact that it is not a 3 piece kit. It has been changed over to mostly 1/16" ply, larger lightening holes, toy tabbed center pan, the front cockpit area has been shaped off of the RC Boatcompany T6 Bud canopy so the fitment is spot on, it includes front ram entrance templates, and cockpit template to hold the proper cockpit shape while gluing, it also includes a properly sized and located cockpit spar, and includes the front canard template to use as a core for your foam or balsa wrapped canard. It also has the air diffuser on the bottom side. This hull, will be built along side another Extreme Series kit for the 8401, '93 Circus backup 1/8th scale hull starting this week when that kit arrives, and a standard series 1/8th scale 8255. I am going to post a bunch of pics, and if any has any questions, please feel free to ask. Here we go! Mike, ML Boatworks

20130123_182637.jpg

20130123_182646.jpg

20130123_182718.jpg

20130123_182658.jpg

20130123_183338.jpg

20130123_183353.jpg

20130125_073503.jpg

Looks fantastic Mike! I do appreciate how you keep pushing the envelope on these kits. Will have to get one of the Extreme T-6 kits from you.

Mike

Thanks Mike, and I appreciate kind comments. My goal is to keep taking whats out there, and try to find ways to make things easier to do. I love my bandsaw, but I love not having to use it just as much. Even tho these kits will cost a touch more than the original kits, the time saved will cost way, way less, and the accuracy of the build will far exceed the standard build kits or cutting by hand. Its a win- win to me! Mike

I had to focus on getting the '93 Circus build rolling this weekend, but I did some epoxy work to the non trips, and added structural Carbon Fiber in the front and under the motor mount area. Check out the '93 Circus build for plenty of new pics and a better understanding of the full on Extreme series kits! Mike

20130203_101718.jpg

Mike,I presume you give the buyer a choice on 1/8 scale whether to include the lightening holes on the tub sides just rear of the sponson rear cross member on FE or nitro.Speedmaster and Accu-Tech mounts have different attachment points which depends on the builder on how he installs them.On the gas scale version,most of the availabe engine mounts attach through the sides.I would make the gas scale standard with a solid panel.

Hey Harvey, due to the engine well being 1/16" material in the Extreme series, for the nitro guys, I would suggest they back up that area anyways for side mounts. I can offer the kit either way tho, not a big deal with that. As far as gas scale, there is not an Extreme series for it, and probably will not be unless I had a bunch of people come foreward and request that. The current gas T6 kit is 1/8" engine wells, and there are not lightening holes. The Gas T6 kit is however on my list for a full sponson design upgrade and break point upgrade, along with some other modern gas kits. Thanks, Mike

Mike, I will start a thread on my gas scale build soon, using your T6 kit. I have moved the break foward almost 8", cut lightening holes in the engine tub sides from the CG point back and skinned the tub walls with carbon. Several other changes are in the works to make the 2012 RedDot.

I will try to get the thread started next week after all my build prep is ready and engine set up should be here tomorrow.

Thanks again for all your hard work on the kits.

Pat Bristol

Last edited by a moderator:
Mike,what are the chances of posting your sponson design upgrade on the T-6 for those of us who have your orginal kit design?The changes may not be easily incorporated in an existing boat,and may be interior construction changes,but it gives us a chance to look at it.

Mike, I will start a thread on my gas scale build soon, using your T6 kit. I have moved the break foward almost 8", cut lightening holes in the engine tub sides from the CG point back and skinned the tub walls with carbon. Several other changes are in the works to make the 2012 RedDot.

I will try to get the thread started next week after all my build prep is ready and engine set up should be here tomorrow.

Thanks again for all your hard work on the kits.

Pat Bristol
Pat what performance changes are you expecting moving the break forward 8"?

Hey guys, i will reply about the changes soon. I ran out of time this week. Talk soon, Mike

The first thing we noticed on the 1/8 scales is by moving the break foward is the lift on the hull is centered under the bottom, with the front break shorter it allows the air to get under the hull quicker, the longer the front break the more air gets trapped at the front of the hull and the boat tends to run lite at the nose. With a shorter front break the air gets under the rear of the hull faster and the hull runs more level to the water. We also noted when the boat hits ruff water the hull tends to bounce and stay level rather then lift the front. Now i'm no prop expert, but it seems to me the more lift you have in a prop to counter the lift on the front of the hull the less foward push you get out of the prop. I try to build my boats so they run balanced with no added lead. I feel I have a good build plan for my 6th scale to keep it under 18lbs ready to run. My build starts today, should be on the water for first test April 14th..... I hope :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Now that the 8255 is about wrapped up, its back to the Extreme Qatar and Extreme Circus builds. Got the ride pad templates for the Qatar done last night. I will do the templates for the Circus tonight, and start cutting after! Mike

20130212_220749.jpg

I will be back on this build in the next day or two starting the sponson sheeting. Had a massive amount of kit orders to fill, and cowlings to lay up that have pushed things back. Mike

Mike,when you get back to this build,could you include an explanation of the notches that appear in the cockpit bottom and to the tunnel bottom rear of the cockpit as shown in your post #2 in photos #6&7,also an explanation of the sponson and bottom changes.?

OK, more work finally getting done on this build. It was another busy week and weekend. Building time just doesn't come easy anymore! Sponson ride pads are finally on. Should be working topside again soon! Oh, got the front end of Buddy Lowes Miss Rock cowling repaired and painted this weekend too. It was pretty bashed up front! Mike

20130303_170335.jpg

20130303_170339.jpg

20130303_174111.jpg

20130303_174116.jpg

20130303_180056.jpg

20130303_180101.jpg

20130303_180126.jpg

20130302_180247.jpg

Back