GO Marine Engines

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ron Jefferson

I just had a local guy call me up all excited because he's planning on buying one of the GO marine engines from China. Does anyone know anything about these engines, positive or negative? I'd like to give him as much info as possible so he can make an educated decision. Thanks for the help.

Ron

rodney pierce has one, i helped him a little with a sport 20

it is ok. parts are cheap. it is there version of a cloned nova.. with minor changes. i am sure you can make it run ok with some work like anything else.. the ONLY plus to this motor is price.. besides the cheap price for the complete motor the piston and sleeve is like 55.00 or something.

the timings numbers are conservative.. but depending on the boat and ect it might be fine for him. i think they use a car crank but i don't remember what rodney's had.. maybe he will add to this. the head volume was pretty decent compaired to what other mfg's put in there motors.

if he is just getting into boating.. i would say ya.. if he is a seasoned person.. races... don't waist your time. i am of the school you get what you pay for.. i would rather invest money into a proven motor like a nova. or maybe one of al hobb's aa motors.

that is my opinon

chris

Last edited by a moderator:
I cant say anything about the GO motor but I can say my expeirience with Chinese knockoffs is very bad as in a Chinese Knockoff of a Honda generator that broke down in the valve train area which I repaired with Honda parts which were much better quality! However later it caught fire at a race here in Florida. Needless to say I junked it and bought American. Good thing that Chinese thing was Free because thats all it was worth! LMAO!

Last edited:
alright. I can let you in on this. I have the 5 port. Honestly, If I had a better, more reliable source, they are all I would run. Stock timing is as follows:

HUGE head space, like .022 without any shims. (needs the top of the block machined down, just like the nova's)

.19cc total volume.

172 exhaust

122 boost

126 intake

induction closing right around 55*

It does have an actual marine crank. (fully threaded, not the SG style)

The cooling jacket is a dead nuts copy on the underside, just like the nova's. Needs to be reduced, as its moving too much water through the head.

Turbo crank. Let me find some pictures for you.

Chris helped me with mine tremendously. I have no clue on the speed, as I dont have a gun, but I will say, Tim Leyde has a 5 port Nova in his PT, and it was a very comparable runner with his boat. The GO was just abit faster. (mine had a raised exhaust port at the time, nothing else) to his stocker with adjusted head space. Im not starting a motor war here, just stating real world experience.

Here is a video when it was still fresh. Had maybe 10 tanks on it at this time. Still tight enough I had to turn it over with a wrench at TDC. Its in a PT SS21 hull. (Chris got it running quite abit faster then this when he came down and helped with the boat setup)

Ill have to get you some pictures. I dont have any decent ones. Give me a little bit and ill go tear it down and take a few.

ill have to get them pictures tomorrow, just not going to make it out to the shop tonight :D

I'm running these as well great little motors, both inboard and converted outboard.

BTW: These motors are made in Taiwan.....

Here are some pics...

Attachments

• P1170003.jpg
    P1170003.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 0
  • P1170008.jpg
    P1170008.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 0
  • P1170010.jpg
    P1170010.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 0
  • Go Outboard 002.jpg
    Go Outboard 002.jpg
    153.8 KB · Views: 0
I received a Nova 5 port motor yesterday that I got too good of a deal on to pass up, and I will say.......I like the GO sleeve better then the nova. Its got some additional things done to the sleeve to aid in case transfer, etc.

I'm planning to test run a GOvarossi when I get some time.

I cooked a Nova 21-7 in quite a big way a couple of years back (hole in the piston, rod bushing shot). Due to the prices of Nova parts, and the fact that pretty much all of my stuff was bought secondhand, it has been a "shelf / cupboard Queen" ever since. I picked up an unused 7 port GO Piston, sleeve and conrod assembly for next to nothing (private auction on eBay). Looks very nice, and perhaps not surprisingly, it fits the Nova case, crankpin etc.....

Thanks for the pics Murph, It's really nice to see an engine case that doesn't have to have fins all over the GD place :wacko:

I also like mentioning Taiwan,, They do make some good stuff there. You Go-guys GO!

Anybody get a good look at the Go 3 port crank, the one that has the pull-start pin in it? There might be a chance that crank could be cut to spec and use the powerhead on a TT geared lower. Or the stock 5-7port crank can have a pin pressed in after boring the stock crankpin. A slight advantage there is that you could have a whole TT o/b for the cost of a custom made reverse crank and pto, plus the use of the stock crank.

I'm adapting a RB-21 Classico9 to a TT lower right now to see if it can eclipse my VZ-M powerhead. FYI, the VZ-M is a 4 port engine and is a very competitive heat racing engine. It's a classic example of "more ports don't make it better for a O/B powerhead",, we'll see if that holds up.

I own both Go and Nova Rossi. We had one hell of a race between the Go and the Nova both in Phil Thomas .21 hydros. I would say the Go was doing 50-55mph. The only thing I can say is you need to junk the stock Go carb.

I just put a engine together using a Go case, Nova sleeve, Go piston, and a Nova head button, Go back plate, and a Nova carb.

My point made.

having trouble finding a go .21 any suggestions and what pipe and % nitro are u guys running. its gonna go in a aeromarine mean machine

I have gotten parts off eBay not sure if you can get the whole motor on there. Rodney or Murph would know.

having trouble finding a go .21 any suggestions and what pipe and % nitro are u guys running. its gonna go in a aeromarine mean machine
There is a brand new GO 21 with extra new parts for sale on RCU for $150.

Rick
that would be the 3 port version. This is NOT the PRO version of the motor. Much cheaper alternative.... Not the one your looking for.

There is a brand new GO 21 with extra new parts for sale on RCU for $150.

Rick
that would be the 3 port version. This is NOT the PRO version of the motor. Much cheaper alternative.... Not the one your looking for.
Sorry, just trying to be helpful. :(

Ok doesn't look like you guys have a offical supplier in the US for marine engines, and because the factory controls who can distribute their engines in each country (similar to Nova Rossi) the local guys here in OZ are trying to find out if they can ship them to you.

If they get the ok, I will post their contact details here, in the meantime you can try to lobby this company who brings in car stuff to supply marine gear. Assuming they are still in business I'm having trouble tracking down any contact info.

RaceFactor Industries

525 E Melinda Ln.

Camp Verde Arizona 86322, USA

Back