Gas Scale hydro builds

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

P THOMAS

Supporting Member
Vendor
Hey I see that some of the gas scale 83U55 kits are being built. I have started on my new one and will post some pictures and updates.

I built one of the first kits and made mods so the Zenoah would fit. This new kit is better suited to the Zenoah engine.

First thing to do is glue the 1/8th transom pieces together to make it 1/4.

Same for the # 5 frames they are two 1/8th glued together. Notice there is a left and a right and they are marked F and B (front and back).

You can make a flat building board the width of the sponson keels. Dry fit all the framework together on the building board to see how this boat will look. M L makes the notches fit nice so it will stay together even with no glue.

I will add some pictures to a album.

Add your building comments and pictures here too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Glad to see the gas scale interest growing.It looks like there may be a number of 8255 hulls.Hopefully the boats will all have different U numbers.The boat I am building will be a Bud T-6.Glad to share any info,but not able to post photos.

Harvey

Phil, Glad to see you have gotten started! I know a lot of 8255 builders are awaiting your cowling. It will take guys like you and Jeff Sneel making cowlings for the GAS class to get it growing. I think in time, this could be as, or more popular than the 1/8th scale nitro boats. Mike

I would like to say this:

To all the talented plug builders/ fiberglass guys in this hobby: If you are going to build a gas scale hydro and make a new cowling that has not yet been produced, please let everyone know who you are and hopefully offer your craftsmanship skills to the rest of the world. This class needs people like you to grow. Even if you are going to make a one off, IF you have the time, contact me and seriously consider (if you have no interest in multiple reproductions) letting someone that wants to make a mold use your plug to do so. I have a couple people that are willing to make gas cowlings for the rest of the racers, he just needs to know which cowlings are needed, or he can take your plug, and make a mold. It would just be a waste to not get something done with it...and hey, at least you will be able to get another from whoever can lay them up without redoing all the work over!!!!

List of current cowlings available:

1) 108 Newton- 7474 mhr- Jeff Sneel (Jeff also builds a glass hull)

2) 126 Newton- 7931 mhr- Phil Thomas (in design)

3) 132 Newton- 8012 mhr- Joe Steimann (in design)

4) 138 Newton- 8255 mhr - Phil Thomas (in design)

5) 149-171-172-176 Newton (and others- Most of the modern 2001- present hulls) Jeff Sneel (Jeff also builds a glass 176 T6 glass hull)

6) 140 Newton- 5762 mhr - Unnamed person is building this hull, and with a little arm twisting I might be able to get him to offer up a plug)

List of current accessories available:

1) Rear verticals, Horizontals, and front wing for modern hulls- Jeff Sneel

Please feel free to copy this and add to it if you have something that will benefit others!

If someone has a very nice plug that can be molded into a useable part. I would be interested in looking at it. Doug Shepherd DPS Racing Hulls and Designs

thank you mike, phil, jeff, joe and doug,

making these cowls, wings and accessories available is very helpful and will encourage more gas scale builders.

I figured the need for 1/4 square x 48 " about 20 48 inch sticks

National Balsa has these in spruce. http://www.nationalbalsa.com/Spruce_Stick_p/141448ss.htm

You can get together and order,, the shipping is $9.99

You can get half sheets (24x48) of ply at Air craft Spruce for $18

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/wppages/finnishbirch.php

I found some 1/4 triangle at Aircraft Spruce too, sold by the foot @ 35 cents. Would be good for corner bracing

If you get some 1/16th ply you could get some 4 foot sticks of that too.

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/wppages/cornerblock.php

Hey I see that some of the gas scale 83U55 kits are being built. I have started on my new one and will post some pictures and updates.

I built one of the first kits and made mods so the Zenoah would fit. This new kit is better suited to the Zenoah engine.

First thing to do is glue the 1/8th transom pieces together to make it 1/4.

Same for the # 5 frames they are two 1/8th glued together. Notice there is a left and a right and they are marked F and B (front and back).

You can make a flat building board the width of the sponson keels. Dry fit all the framework together on the building board to see how this boat will look. M L makes the notches fit nice so it will stay together even with no glue.

I will add some pictures to a album.

Add your building comments and pictures here too.
Here is a album of building pictures http://gallery.intlw....php?album=1135

Phil are you going to skin the bottom with 1/16? I got my kit out today and dry fitted it,oh my its a big en. Maybe over the weekend I can get a jig built and order some ply. what about turn fins and brackets? Also are you going to stuff blue foam into the sponsons ?

Phil are you going to skin the bottom with 1/16? I got my kit out today and dry fitted it,oh my its a big en. Maybe over the weekend I can get a jig built and order some ply. what about turn fins and brackets? Also are you going to stuff blue foam into the sponsons ?
1/16 is good for the bottom. You can order the 24x48 1/16 from aircraftspruce. I dont remember how many sheets you would need.

The rear trip panels are 1/8th ply so dont forget to get a sheet of that too. .

No foam for me, wood boat floats fine.

Order the gas scale fin and mounts from Dick Tyndall.

Hey Phil,

"Wood boats Float"

Tell that to the poor pickup boat driver when he tries to lift that big mutha into the boat 1/2 full of water. Maybe get him a davit with winch mounted on the pick up boat for Christmas . Styrofoam WOFs are easier on everybody. Is that a second 8255 you're framing up?? You're going to need to build a hangar out back. Merry Christmas my Friend. CHEERS !!! Bob

Hey Phil,

"Wood boats Float"

Tell that to the poor pickup boat driver when he tries to lift that big mutha into the boat 1/2 full of water. Maybe get him a davit with winch mounted on the pick up boat for Christmas . Styrofoam WOFs are easier on everybody. Is that a second 8255 you're framing up?? You're going to need to build a hangar out back. Merry Christmas my Friend. CHEERS !!! Bob
Foam filler would help keep water weight down if the hull was all open I can see that point. I am building it with the hull sealed off so normally it will not be full of water.

Phil, Why do you need to make the non trips out of 1/8in ply?
The boat has those little wing tips at the rear, less chance of getting damaged and looks better with 1/8th thick. These boats weight near 19 lb and the thicker sides are there where you grab one to launch. I guess we could just use 1/16 and double it at the back, might save some weight too.

I am referring to the after plane rear trip sides

Anyone know of a place to get 60 inch ply? I dont want to splice just looking for options

B&D International in Tacoma Washington has 60" square sheets of several thicknesses or you can try the homebuilt aircraft supply shops as many aircraft are built or sheeted using a flexible plywood

we were just talking about these new generation hulls and how we are going to recover the "dead wood".

we figure the tow to shore is going to be the best option?

"Foam filler would help keep water weight down if the hull was all open I can see that point. I am building it with the hull sealed off so normally it will not be full of water."

Hey Phil,

After hauling my CT around in Reserve race day, I gained a new appreciation for how big and heavy they are, and can't imagine hauling one of the Gas Scales into a pick up boat.

I'm thinking I'll need a golf cart, and trailer when I run my CT again. If I build aGas Scale - - I'll need to get an 18 wheeler to haul boats and support equipment - Har, Har !!!

I agree with Buddy - 1/8th ply afterplane non trip is going to be a bunch of weight aft of the CG for a long run. 1/16" 3 ply for a hull bottom on a boat as big as the 8255 will be may be too thin to stand up.

Is there an engine specification for Gas Scale?? I do not see any engine specification on the www.pnwta.org site. I was speaking with a boater at the LSMBC race - he was planning on putting a twin gas engine in one of the Gas Scale boats. He's going to need a crane and load certified lifting eyes.

Merry Christmas my Friend. CHEERS !!! Bob

Spec is 25.4 mod works non turbo lol......Im working with Redline on power plant options

Back