engine and parts

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dorkhedeos

Im kind of new to rc boating, but i want to build my own tunnel hull. The most i can afford right now is $150 or a little more. What is the cheapest pull start engine i can get? what would i need for it to run? How does the speed control work? I am going to use parts from my electric boat. I have 2 servos and a radio from it right now. does anyone have any plans?

thanks

There's a couple options you have. You can pick up the current edition of "Boat Modeler" magazine. It's a special "Buying Guide" so you get a lot of distributors and manufacturers selling boats like your looking for. Most have pricing at resonable prices.

Next, look on ebay for a used or even new boat. If you do my advice is only buy from someone with very good feedback,

Last, put a post in the "For Sale" section and title it "WANTED........" etc......

Good Luck and welcome aboard! :D

Im 14 right now and my bro will get mad and start yelling at me if i buy a boat off ebay for wasting money on a thing i dont need. Whenever my bro says something about me wasting money, he is usually right. If i build the boat myself, i can get any part i need as long as its not too expensive, my bro cant say anything because i built it myself and i learned something from it. How does the speed work on a nitro motor? Does it use a servo to control it?

Dorkhedos,

The speed on an engine is controlled by a carburator which is controlled by a servo and linkage. It's often a fool-proof way to control the speed but occassionally a newbie gets tripped up with the "keeping the speed consistant in a turn process". This is caused by not cutting the throttle cable extra long and then securely mounting it to the engine.

Food for thought. Is there a club or a member of this site in your area? I'd strongly recommend that you hook up with one of them before you decide to do this. For one, a lot of places are becoming nitro unfriendly which is where electrics come in. The lack of noise is more acceptable. Two, tunnels can be very finicky, hard to setup properly and frustrating. However, they also are the most realistic looking and are exciting to watch and run.

If you want ideas on how a radio box is setup (because now, you have to worry about keeping water away from the radio) look through the Outboard forum. There are quite a few posts with images on there. I think you'll find it very hard to get even a used boat & engine for $150 but it's not impossible.

Till later, rock on and welcome to the hobby,

Snowdog

there is an engine in tower hobbies that is $100, so i dont really think its impossible, unless the rudder costs 40 bucks or something. I already got 2 servos and a radio. Which type of boat do you think i am capable of making? I think i can make a tunnel hull if i get some plans, and i dont how i can open the plans on the homepage of this site.

if you get $220 you could be a proud owner of a lap cat one and a 3.5 k&b outboard. the boat runs great and has only had about a gallon or a gallon and a half of fuel run through it :) :) :)

joel hanson

Hrmmm, have you seen this yet

Ebay Definitions for discerning nitro motor buyers:

Barely a gallon through it=motor is toast

Great compression=only when you fill it full of 90wt oil

Smooth bearings=not seized

Broke-in correctly= just plain broken; you figure out the problem.

Not assembled=I couldn’t figure out how to put it back together

Needs some TLC=should have thrown it away

hahaha :D

yeah i saw that, and i got this motor from ebay and it is the best motor i have ever owned. it has more compression than my brand new 3.5ss. no joke. the only problem i have had is it was starting backwards, because it had too much compression. :p :p :p

Joel Hanson

can you send me any pictures of it? im not really sure if i can buy a boat because my whole plan was to build my own so my bro wont get mad.

That is one nice looking boat, why is there a tennis ball in it? i would like to buy it, but then i cant afford it right now, how much would you sell just the engine for?

there is a "long" story behind the tennis ball but it is the driver. i want to sell it as a package but i can wait untill you get the money as long as it isnt too long because i am in no real hurry to sell it. if i were you (and i was in the same position as you at 14) i would buy a used boat to start out with, then the boat has all the bugs worked out of it.

joel Hanson

its going to be a year and a half before i will be able to buy it...thats when i can get a job. I stopped receiving money from my parents because my grades are mostly C's and my brother gets mad at me when i use my parents money to buy things i dont really need, but if i build it myself and my parents spend $140 for the parts, my bro wont really care that much.

7 years older than me, so hes 21, our birthdays are on the same day. He goes to UCLA. Most of the time, he is right about me wasting money. Hes like a super nerd

Latest posts

Back