IMPBA Internats Format

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What format would you prefer?

• Current format

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nitro heat racing only

• Gas,FE, Nitro heat racing only

• Total voters

Joe_Knesek

For those who would seriously consider attending the Internats select the format would you prefer? After you vote please note your rationale.

BTW I prefer option 3 because I like the idea of including all racers but can not stand to wait around for 3 days to run the specialty classes while the time trials are going on. We have plenty of record trials on the agenda.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like option three as well.

Many racers are running a mix these days so it only make sense to have all three together for one big event.

Tim K

Opt. #3- I would come to an event in the S/E if it was that type format. Single income family and a 3yr old, I have to be selective about when and were to race. An event with this type format allows me to choose my class,know what day or days Im running and not have to sit around and waste time and money I DONT HAVE. I wish the Winternats in Orlando would follow this type format , I would have come the last 2 years and its 2hrs from the house !!!!

By the way I also chose opt3 because it does not divide us as boaters. F/E-NITRO-GAS- ... we are all doing the same the thing right ????? if it makes a difference- I only run nitro.

I understand the types of boats & classes in options 1 & 2. That is clear. What about option 3? What gas classes would be included? That is not clear at all to me.

If all the classes from the gas nats are included, then is there a need for a gas nats? A single internats could possible be done once again. Just a thought.

Just asking for clarification on classes, not trying to start a fuss.

I like the current format . It provides more competition for a given boat . This format also determines the all around boater . Most of the time trials that are spoke of , the competitors use special boats that you should never see at an Internats. If the last two formats were to be used IMPBA would not have fund the US1 plaques. ERNIE

I think the current format rules out the possibility of racin luck in heat racing when you have to back it up

with good oval and straight speeds! It's an over all performance! If heats were set as to top performers,

you could still end up with racin luck being the final draw?

I prefer the current heatrace and time trial format. If it is a heat race only format, then the internats is no different than any other large heat race; Winter Nationals, Spring Nationals, etc. By having the time trials, you get the true US1 winner. If you have option 3, I don't know how many classes you intend to run, but it doesn't appear to me have any shorter a race. Many members run both nitro and gas, so they would be there the whole week. You still have the issue of specialty classes. The internats were formulated to find the overall best boater; in order to do this you need to have Oval and SAW time trials along with the heat racing. As classes expand, it is only natural to add a separate Gas Internats, and FE Internats.

For those who would seriously consider attending the Internats select the format would you prefer? After you vote please note your rationale.
BTW I prefer option 3 because I like the idea of including all racers but can not stand to wait around for 3 days to run the specialty classes while the time trials are going on. We have plenty of record trials on the agenda.
NITRO Heat racing Only Baby. Atlanta already has a 2 day format just like this... It has a lot of Hype & Top Boaters attend this race from all over the USA. Always has been a excellent race. If you have never attended?? Put it on your agenda of things to do in 2008. This Format works for them.......

I think the current format rules out the possibility of racin luck in heat racing when you have to back it upwith good oval and straight speeds! It's an over all performance! If heats were set as to top performers,

you could still end up with racin luck being the final draw?
Mark the same ones are always there.... striving for the US-1. You got them, I got em, They got em, Great achivement No doubt...... The Heat racing only format With a National Champion could ease the complete format & a lot of other boaters could choose the day they want to attend. You got to keep it fun for all & not just for the top 7% of each class. I paticular like NAMBA Hydro & Mono ONLY days, This allows you to get those classes ran & Over with...... Some IMPBA Club races are this format.

I understand the types of boats & classes in options 1 & 2. That is clear. What about option 3? What gas classes would be included? That is not clear at all to me.
If all the classes from the gas nats are included, then is there a need for a gas nats? A single internats could possible be done once again. Just a thought.

Just asking for clarification on classes, not trying to start a fuss.

I think it means any class John.

Just a thought, but instead of limiting the classes maybe we should set a higher minimum boat count. Something like 10 or 12. Also figure out how many boats can be supported and set a limit. Then set preliminary limits per class. When the deadline passes cancel the classes that didn't make the limit & open up the remaining classes until the max boat count is met.

Before anyone blisters me I just want to say it's late at night, the meds are worn off & I'm sleep deprived.

For lack of other options I put in for nitro heat. I think the whole format thing could in time be up-dated. From what I can tell, clubs separate heat racing and and SAW trials. Maybe two internats are necessary??

Since I'm new, I have trouble understanding the need for two associations (NAMBA, IMPBA) that aren't separated by geographical boundries???? There seems to be some rules differences but most, in my opinion quite nit-picky.

I'm not trying to start something here, just trying to put some sence to it. Taking something small and making it smaller only benefits the few.

this poll will be interesting! :)

gh

Option three all heat racing, but dropping any classes that are no longer fielding good turnouts (like F tunnel) , and the specialty classes. Perhaps we could look at the previous Internats class sizes and then set a minimum boat quantity to qualify for the current years Internats eg. 10 boats. It is time to bring everyone together at one race. There is still room for a Gas Nats, Northern Nats and a Spring Nats , but the Internats should be for everyone. Instead of US-1 maybe the winners would be called "National Champions". The Ferette proposal would be a really good tough format with the winners having to race in 8 heats to win National Champion designation. Tony J

Option three all heat racing, but dropping any classes that are no longer fielding good turnouts (like F tunnel) , and the specialty classes. Perhaps we could look at the previous Internats class sizes and then set a minimum boat quantity to qualify for the current years Internats eg. 10 boats. It is time to bring everyone together at one race. There is still room for a Gas Nats, Northern Nats and a Spring Nats , but the Internats should be for everyone. Instead of US-1 maybe the winners would be called "National Champions". The Ferette proposal would be a really good tough format with the winners having to race in 8 heats to win National Champion designation. Tony J
I agree. Everyone understands what a "National Champion " is, but who knows what a US 1 is? I understand that US 1 is an award for best performance in heat racing and trophy trials. but lets face it..............Record trial boats are different from heat racing boats. Record trials are a specialized event. Most of the participation is in heat racing. Heat racing should be the focus.

As for gas and nitro........I am running both and I see a slow but sure integration of gas and nitro. Thay are all the same boats guys. Just a fuel choice. I will say however that the gas classes make more sense than the nitro classes. You race cats with cats, sport hydros with sport hydros etc. Maybe, just maybe, some day we will be able to reduce the amount of classes by simply letting the gas and nitro engines run together. We run open mono, open offshore and open cat in our district with nitro and gas running together. It works. Just a choice of fuels with the same boats. Who knows where we will end up before it's all said and done, but

10 days for an internats is just crazy.

Under the option #3

Gas and racers and FE racers and Nitro racers and clubs could work together in hosting the event which would increase the available work force. If yo uadd up the boat counts from IMPBA Internats and Gas Nats we would have at least 800 boats plus the FE boats and most likely about 200 racers. Large event!!!! It would end up still being the same time frame for the event with this large of an event.

I would hate to see the internats turn into just another heat race. The purpose of the TT in the internats is to see who is the best overall boater. You don't run a specialized SAW boat like at a normal TT event. The hull must be the same as the one that was heat raced. For me, I understand what a US1 means, but I've been around a long time. I knew it hte first year I was in IMPBA, but I doubt I'll ever get one...................

Here's an alternative: 5 rounds of heat racing, with the top 8 boats going into a 3 round runoff for the National Heat Race Champion....... Wait, is that the Ferette proposal??????? An 8 boat twin Hydro heat would be interesting.

Option three all heat racing, but dropping any classes that are no longer fielding good turnouts (like F tunnel) , and the specialty classes...
Funny you should mention the specialty classes. Aren't some of the specialty classes rather well attended? Based on the turnouts, should they be dropped, or turned into regular classes? Does the attendance for these classes say anything about the heat racing only format, or is it just that the classes themselves are popular?

I like the current format . It provides more competition for a given boat . This format also determines the all around boater . Most of the time trials that are spoke of , the competitors use special boats that you should never see at an Internats. If the last two formats were to be used IMPBA would not have fund the US1 plaques. ERNIE

Ditto !

DITTO !!

I agree with Doc, Ernie, Marty and all of the rest that the present format is really specail and shows the best of the best all around boaters. But, that still does not address the problem we have had for a long time and that is getting someone, club or group to host the event. From looking at the poll results so far it looks like most that responded would favor option #3. The only way to keep the other formats alive is to step up and offer to host the event. It is a good way fr club to get their site and club in the lime light of boat racing and also bolster their bank account for future lake site projects.

Think about it. If your district has never hosted the event recently or ever it's time you stepped up to the plate and made an offer.

Bill Zuber

IMPBA President

256-684-2995

[email protected]

Back