Nitro safe paint in spray can form.

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tmunn

Is there any paints available for the person that wants to paint or touch-up the occasional boat from time to time .

I would not be doing it enough to warrant an air brush setup.(I do however have comppressed air)

I also think i could prep it and paint it myself cheaper than an automotive paint shop.

The only hitch I see is the source for a good quality paint pre-mixed and in an aerosol can.

Thanks

Terry

If you use no more than 10% nitro in a fun boat than some can paint might hold up, otherwise get yourself an inexpensive touch-up gun and call Klasskote for paint. You will find that if you are spending the time to prep one properly and painting it yourself it is worth the investment to do it right.

Check with Harbor Freight. When they are on sale you can get a decent paint gun for 14.95. This is a gravity fed gun and I use it for gel coat, primer, and base coat paints. You will really be surprised how well it works for the price. I don't use it for the clear coat (but you could) because I don't like wet sanding and polishing. It doesn't spray the clear coat out quite as well as some of the better guns. But if you goof it up just throw it away and get another. I use the one with the 1.4 tip. Just a thought.

I speak from experience that you are just asking for a mess with the rattle cans. Nitro will eventially cut through any protective coating you try to apply and then your have a gooey mess this is a real pain to remove.

I know its expensive but do your self a favor and get a small compressor and paint gun and use car paint.

I have a minimilist setup with a 13 gal air compressor, $40 touchup gun from lowes, $50 vaper resporator (save your nervious system and DON'T SKIP THIS!) PPG OMNI Acrylic enamal or Acrylic urethane paint.

The PPG should cost you around $60 for 2 pints of colors, hardner and thinner. This will be enough for about 4 or 5 boats.

You'll find uses for the air compressor outside of painting. Cleaning air filters, airing up tires, inflating balls, kiddepools, matresses etc, blowing away dust. and more.

I have a 3 or 5hp air compresser with aprox 20 gallon holding tank and can run 100 psi will this work for me.

I have aprox 90' of air line..

What exactly would I have to buy to put in the line to make it so i could use something like the touch up guns mentioned.

I think there migh even be a new gun in my father's garage that now belongs to me since he passed away ..

I had seen it there for years and we never used it B)

Speak Slow I know nothing about using an air compressor for painting purposes. :(

Terry

Edit: you'll have to regulate it down,, somewhere around 30psi

for detail type siphon guns. The regulators for this purpose are not that expensive, but

the paint, thinner, hardner's and (possible) clear are.

Last edited by a moderator:
:) Borgenson's sells it....... Its like 18 bucks a can, and I wasnt real impressed with it... once you pierce the two part operation you have 12 hours to use the can, or some such thing... Its on your yellow proto WOF..... Im 50/50 on it as of yet, Im gonna paint my stuff if I can deem it compatable with rust oleo................. Dont know bout you guys, our local auto paint mixer ( ppg, and beyond) will mix and fill into rattle cans any ppg base paint color I want, its expensive, depending on colors, but itll do....... problem was they couldnt do any ppg clear rattle....... Sold me this clear called " Spray Max" it looks to be nasty, I dont have hands on with it..... better build sumthin to paint......

Evendently no has heard of polyeurthane enamal it is available in rattle cans. :huh:

I have been using it for years with no problems. :)

This paint is resistant to 65% nitro which is what I run.

Note the can must say polyeurthane enamal.

the can marked contains polyeurthane will not work. :huh:

Dave B :)

I bought a cheap touch up gun off of ebay for about 20 buck's... and also, a refillable paint can that uses compressed air. Check this site, www.endura.ca - it's available in the US as well. They have thousand's of different colors, part a + b epoxy paint, is usually a 1 to 1 mix ratio, and is very affordable. Very bad to breath or get on you're skin though, so take all precaution's. I've heard the only thing that removes this paint from anything is the part B, or a thinner made by endura. Heard of lot's of hi-nitro boat's painted with endura.

here's the link for the same paint gun i bought of of ebay... http://cgi.ebay.com/HVLP-MINI-SPRAYER-AUTO...1QQcmdZViewItem .... don't let the price fool you - i've painted most of my part's on my 73 camaro RS show car with this paint gun ( Gas tank, diff, drive shaft ,etc.), and the result's are very good, very smooth... it has a 0.8 mm nozzle and tip, so it spray's (atomizes) nice light coat's. You can also check some of the discount tool supply stores that seem to be popping up everywhere... i've seen this same paint gun around some of those stores as well, varying prices. The only problem i've had with mine, is, the plastic cup cracked, but i found an aluminum one at a local body shop supply store for about 20 buck's. You can also go on ebay, and punch in "spray gun", or "paint gun"... even if you don't want to buy off of ebay, you can see what type's of cheap or expensive gun's are available. I'm just a rookie painter, and i could never get a much better finish using an expensive paint gun, compared to a cheap one.

i used to use Midwest/Pactra Formula-U rattle can paint but they don't sell it any more. It had a nice gloss to it and took any nitro that I spilled on it with no problem.

I've tried a bunch of other paints that were supposed ot take nitro, LustreKote, Hangar 9, Black Baron and others but they were terrible to put it kindly. Lutrekote was second best though of those that I've tried but didn't have the shine. I still have a flight box that I painted in LustreKote and is still holding up.

I have a 3 or 5hp air compresser with aprox 20 gallon holding tank and can run 100 psi will this work for me.

What exactly would I have to buy to put in the line to make it so i could use something like the touch up guns mentioned.

I think there migh even be a new gun in my father's garage that now belongs to me since he passed away ..

Speak Slow I know nothing about using an air compressor for painting purposes. :(

Terry
Terry,

I assume your compressor has a pressure regulator on it. If not, you will need that as well as some sort of moisture trap. Very important to keep water out of the air line. Be aware that your touch up gun as well as your Dad's gun are probably standard and not HVLP. Operating pressure for these is between 30 - 50 psi depending on their tips and the medium you are spraying. HVLP operates at lower pressures but requires larger volume compressors. Always shoot a test pattern before spraying your piece to determine the pattern, distance, etc..

Bill

Is there any paints available for the person that wants to paint or touch-up the occasional boat from time to time .

I would not be doing it enough to warrant an air brush setup.(I do however have comppressed air)

I also think i could prep it and paint it myself cheaper than an automotive paint shop.

The only hitch I see is the source for a good quality paint pre-mixed and in an aerosol can.

Thanks

Terry
Hi Terry

From all the tests I have done the AutoTouch up spray cans have shown the best results.You do however have to also coat with Laquor I now use the Auto touch up laquor as well about 4 or 5 coats and finish off with a wax coat like turtle wax

GavinP

Terry

Heres what I use

a water trap, filter regulator something like this. They are available at lowes and HD as well.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/disp...temnumber=42035

a touchup gun something like this one

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/disp...f?Itemnumber=86

DONT GET THIS EXACT ONE!!! It has a plastic liner in the cup that will flake off and wind up on your boat.

I use the Campbell Hausfeld one from lowes. Sears also has a similar one with a all metal cup.

and the PPG paint. you can find a paint dealer by going to PPG.com

Mix according to teh instructions, do mind head the weather conditons as they will affect the paint cure.

I set the pressure at 40PSI. Start spraying.

Clean the gun with Laquer thinner.

Lowes has a similar one but I could not find it on their website.

the gun dan said not to buy, well he showed me what happen and then he threw it in the garabage, then i took it out of the garbage and clean it out with laquer thinner and it is still spraying very well for me over 5 years ago.

there two buttons on the gun to adjust the fan of spray and amount of paint, the button behind your thumb will adjust the amount of paint, the button above and in front of thumb is the adjustment of fan . before you spray your boat pratice on a piece of wood and try to get the right flow of spray. if you used can paint you can spray with the touch up gun.

tmunn, set your regulator to 35 psi when spraying the aclylic enamal, now when and if you buy the A-E paint ask the sales person to reduce it for you , then and you have to do is add the recomended amount of harder.

Klasscote seems to be the same as the old K+B Superpoxy. Very good stuff. Most of the car paints will fail if exposed to lots of nitro. The old Imron Polyeurethane enamel was tough as a boot. I haven't tried the new Imron 5000. It may be OK, but very expensive.

Latest posts

Back