Spray Can Epoxy

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TomGracey

I was recently asked on Face Book about what I use for Fuel proof paints.
watch the Video

Automotive urethane ( House of Kolor )then Spray MAX 2K Clear Glamour 368 0061 Spray Epoxy rattle Can $18.00 each .

Its expensive(available on Amazon) but if U have enough parts lined up to paint it beats the hassle of ruining/ cleaning Ur spray gun.

My test Strip with vinyl decals, its totally Nitro proof raw 60% fuel sitting on it for 0ver 15 min, Pot life in the can is 48 hrs after activation dust proof in 10 min @ 60 deg. F dry to touch in 30 min @ 60 deg F fuel proof in 24r hrs

IMG_1788.JPG

Good stuff!... we've found that the warmer the area you paint in, the better for leveling
and cure.
Fresh air supply is necessary, as the cyanoacrylates in that stuff will kill you on an
accumulative basis.
Of further note, we've also brushed on (foam brush) house brand 2K clear urethane, block
sanded wet all the way to 3000 grit, and buffed with a 2"-3" random orbital detail buffer
and had show car results. Guess it all depends on how a person is setup for painting.

That stuff works great...I was able to purchace from my local auto paint supplier...and the results were amazing..
Lays glass smooth and a hard finish..

I have 5 new cans of the Max 2K Clear Glamour 3680061 that I will not be using. I am going to put an add on the for sale forum for $50 shipped. Look there if interested.

Last edited:
I'm looking forward to trying this, a few tunnels with new paint and vinyl will be nice, may even try clearing over the vinyl! Anyone else try this?

I'm looking forward to trying this, a few tunnels with new paint and vinyl will be nice, may even try clearing over the vinyl! Anyone else try this?

I used it and found it worked very well. However, I am used to painting with an airbrush and this was much different. It sprays a swath which is very wide, just like you would want if you were painting a car fender as in the video. But that was way too much paint and overspray for me based on what I am used to and how I paint. The job came out perfect though and looks just like the expensive PPG clear coat I had been using.

One other thing to remember is that even though this thread is titled "spray can epoxy" this 2K Clear Glamour and similar products are not epoxy. They are catalyzed urethanes which, unlike epoxy, are extremely toxic. Although you can get away with a simple respirator with epoxy, these 2K paints contain a catalyst hardener with is an isocyanate. This chemical is very dangerous. Most people who paint with this class of paint use a supplied air system with very good ventilation. All your exposed skin should be covered with long sleeves, gloves and a complete air hood over your head. You don't want this stuff to be absorbed through your skin. Some may remember what happened at the union carbide plant in Bhopal India in 1984. They accidently released methyl isocyanate into the air and 15,000 people died.

thank you for that info Bob, think when I do get around to painting I will do it outside! A little bug or two, or even dust, better then bad health conditions!!

Hello Bob Smith...
The Spraymax products work very well and will work with applying over vinyl..
I also found through experience that once your base color dries it doesn't matter what type of paint it is...so no compatibility issues..I do though just as a precaution do a 600 or greater final sand over the color coat if its NOT an automotive base color...so if its like a store bought basic paint(Krylon Rustolium. walmart etc) I do a 600 light sand then Spray max on top..and yes the spray fan is wide just like a professional spray gun and be sure to allow a good flash time between coats...hope this helps.

So I got done today with yet another paint project and wondered what the can in a can looks like ....well...enjoy

Attachments

• 20200201_102007.jpg
    20200201_102007.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 82
  • 20200201_102024.jpg
    20200201_102024.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 78
  • 20200201_102040.jpg
    20200201_102040.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 77
  • 20200201_102044.jpg
    20200201_102044.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 78
  • 20200201_102056.jpg
    20200201_102056.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 75
One thing to remember is that even though this thread is titled "spray can epoxy" this 2K Clear Glamour and similar products are not epoxy. They are catalyzed urethanes which, unlike epoxy, are extremely toxic. Although you can get away with a simple respirator with epoxy, these 2K paints contain a catalyst hardener with is an isocyanate. This chemical is very dangerous. Most people who paint with this class of paint use a supplied air system with very good ventilation. All your exposed skin should be covered with long sleeves, gloves and a complete air hood over your head. You don't want this stuff to be absorbed through your skin. Some may remember what happened at the union carbide plant in Bhopal India in 1984. They accidently released methyl isocyanate into the air and 15,000 people died.

2K glamour is not a epoxy or a urethane. It is a two part acrylic resin.

https://download.kwasny.com/datasheets/TMB-3680061_(US)EN.pdf

I went to their website. I was hoping for Matte or Flat clear for top coating my R/C warbirds. Unfortunately I didn't find it.

Back