Your First Boat. (Post a Photo Here)

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is my first boat back in 1977. I was just 7 years old. The boat was an old Skdaddle Flat Bottom 40 that my dad modified into a V hull. I used the old Pizza Box Futaba radio. I was so terrible that I swore that the boat spent more time running up on the shore than it did running on the lake. Surprised my dad let me keep at it I was so bad. You can also see an old Crapshooter .21 on the table.

FirstBoat.jpgFirstBoat2.jpgFirstBoat3.jpgFirstBoat4.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Back in 2006 my neighbor was moving and he ask me if I wanted a R/C Boat. My only knowledge of R/C boats before he ask me was back in 1971/72 when I was 16/17 years old I happened to be at Legg Lake where they were haveing a race. I parked my car and watched a couple of heats. I was blown away how fast this one boat was. I now know it was a rigger. I thought to myself what a cool thing to do. That was the one and only time I experienced anything to do with R/C boats until my neaghbor came over. When he asked I flashed back to that day at Legg Lake and said sure I'll take it. He brought it over(the Sprint Cat) and it needed a radio reciever and the motor(.67 picco) had a broken rod. I got on the internet and did a search and found they still raced boats a legg Lake. I lived about 35 miles from there. I checked e-bay and bought a blue head .67 Picco went to the lake, started it up using a rope on the flywheel, that how I remembered seeing them started back in 72. Launched the boat and I was hooked. I wish I still had that boat, it was a blast to drive.

Mario

SprintCat.bmp

SprintCat2.bmp

Attachments

• SprintCat.bmp
    1.9 MB · Views: 107
  • SprintCat2.bmp
    1.9 MB · Views: 31
Here is my first boat, got the kit in 1976 with a new OPS 3.5 with pipe and was building it in the summer of 1977 and I remember the day Elvis died as I was getting it ready to run.....

Norco Eaglet..... finished with K&B superpoxy. Won alot of races....

206291_213002915376857_267682_n.jpg

Rodger what a cool idea! In 1977 coming home form work I heard a crazy motor sound comin off the lake near buy as I came through the trees was my first encounter with the Alaska RC boat club. The next day I bought this fiberglass boat with a 3.5 K&B outbord and one of the new futaba box radios with the stiring wheel . At the time it was the coolist! Heres my pics as a Newbie

2012-12-25 14.19.54.jpg

2012-12-25 14.19.05.jpg

2012-12-25 14.18.34.jpg

2012-12-25 14.17.45.jpg

My first boat was a Dumas sport 20 Pay'N Pak built back in 1982. Being a total "newbie", I built it per the kit's directions using the Dumas hardware kit, an underpowered HB-20 with an aircraft style exhaust and a two channel Futaba stick radio. Never did get it to run worth a hoot due to it's being overweight and underpowered. Too bad I didn't have any tools beyond a set of Exacto knives, a couple of screwdrivers and a wood block wrapped in sand paper to work with. I painted it with Formula U paint, hand painting the graphics

scan0001.pdfscan0002.pdfscan0003.pdf

Attachments

• scan0001.pdf
    400.6 KB · Views: 83
  • scan0002.pdf
    415.5 KB · Views: 27
  • scan0003.pdf
    417.6 KB · Views: 25
My first boat was a Dumas sport 20 Pay'N Pak built back in 1982. Being a total "newbie", I built it per the kit's directions using the Dumas hardware kit, an underpowered HB-20 with an aircraft style exhaust and a two channel Futaba stick radio. Never did get it to run worth a hoot due to it's being overweight and underpowered. Too bad I didn't have any tools beyond a set of Exacto knives, a couple of screwdrivers and a wood block wrapped in sand paper to work with. I painted it with Formula U paint, hand painting the graphics

scan0001.pdfscan0002.pdfscan0003.pdf
Great Job for a Zacto-Blade and a Screwdriver. Some don't look that good with a whole shop of tools. Hahaha!

My first boat was an Aerokits Sea Rover. I built it in the summer of 1970. It took me many months to save up enough to buy a Super Tiger C/L .15. I wrapped copper tube around the head for cooling. A Futaba 2 channel radio was too expensive so I set the rudder to make it run in large circles. I was hooked ever since.

Sea Rover.jpg

My first boat was an Aerokits Sea Rover. I built it in the summer of 1970. It took me many months to save up enough to buy a Super Tiger C/L .15. I wrapped copper tube around the head for cooling. A Futaba 2 channel radio was too expensive so I set the rudder to make it run in large circles. I was hooked ever since.
Still have a picture of that bad boy huh? Nice build.

Rodger what a cool idea! In 1977 coming home form work I heard a crazy motor sound comin off the lake near buy as I came through the trees was my first encounter with the Alaska RC boat club. The next day I bought this fiberglass boat with a 3.5 K&B outbord and one of the new futaba box radios with the stiring wheel . At the time it was the coolist! Heres my pics as a Newbie
Charles, I have a soft spot in my heart for RC boat of that vintage. But I do not reconize that boat. Any idea who made it? And how did it handle?

I am re-building an OB 7.5 vee for sentimental reasons.

Thanks,

kez

Last edited by a moderator:
Back