New build "Bonzi Sports" MTI 60

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David Muscat

So here is the beginning of a new build for me, looking to get started on an MTI 60" from Bonzi Sports (former CRC). Do not see many builds out here for this hull in a twin gas configuration so I figured I would post some pics and add some comments as I progress. I am slow builder so please be patient for updates have a full time job and house to take care of. So here is a shopping list of some items that I will be looking at getting:

(2) 29.5 Zenoah (modified) from SS Racing Engines
(2) Speedmaster stingers
Speedmaster 6" rudder
ProModeler Servos
Radiolink Rc6gs v3.
Misc. hardware
exhaust setup (TBD)

Not sure if I will be using clutches and pumps yet. still working out details and getting input from a few of my club members. Now what I want to try and post out here are at least some photos of what the hull looks like during each phase. We usually see a lot of electric configurations and still being a little old school wanted to get this going with gas. Got lots of help when putting this idea together from a few of my club members (Steve Stafiej, Ernie Testani and Scott Tonac) with some insights from Dan and Dean over at Bonzi. Sometimes I find it hard to get a good look at some of these hulls from others that post their builds (becoming harder to find CAT hulls at this size to run multiple gas engines due to electrics starting to dominate the stage) to get that birds eye view on how to place items and get your build rolling. Well I have to say she is a BIG CAT!!!. Some comments now on the hull itself, constructions looks great even the seam lines are non existent. Nothing was warped and it was packaged and protected very, very, well for shipping. Inside the hull there is a nice coating over all the glass that was used and the transom is solid!! I am looking forward to sharing this adventure with you all. A quick shout out to "John Finch", thanks for the discussion we had some time back concerning this project. Wish me luck!!

Attachments

• 20240120_200938.jpg
    20240120_200938.jpg
    415.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 20240120_201000.jpg
    20240120_201000.jpg
    419.9 KB · Views: 1
  • 20240120_201015.jpg
    20240120_201015.jpg
    341.7 KB · Views: 1
  • 20240120_201022.jpg
    20240120_201022.jpg
    264.3 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
There is a guy in Rhode Island named Matt who goes by just add watta, I know he is on jrcbd but not sure on iw.
He would surely have information on this build, very knowledgeable about big hulls and multiple gas motors.
He is the one that you want to talk to

Hey Dave, us boys in the MCMBC got your back. That's a big boat and a heck of a project. Looking forward to the progress.

There is a guy in Rhode Island named Matt who goes by just add watta, I know he is on jrcbd but not sure on iw.
He would surely have information on this build, very knowledgeable about big hulls and multiple gas motors.
He is the one that you want to talk to
Yep he is Aussie .best to find him on Jims.

So here is the beginning of a new build for me, looking to get started on an MTI 60" from Bonzi Sports (former CRC). Do not see many builds out here for this hull in a twin gas configuration so I figured I would post some pics and add some comments as I progress. I am slow builder so please be patient for updates have a full time job and house to take care of. So here is a shopping list of some items that I will be looking at getting:

(2) 29.5 Zenoah (modified) from SS Racing Engines
(2) Speedmaster stingers
Speedmaster 6" rudder
ProModeler Servos
Radiolink Rc6gs v3.
Misc. hardware
exhaust setup (TBD)

Not sure if I will be using clutches and pumps yet. still working out details and getting input from a few of my club members. Now what I want to try and post out here are at least some photos of what the hull looks like during each phase. We usually see a lot of electric configurations and still being a little old school wanted to get this going with gas. Got lots of help when putting this idea together from a few of my club members (Steve Stafiej, Ernie Testani and Scott Tonac) with some insights from Dan and Dean over at Bonzi. Sometimes I find it hard to get a good look at some of these hulls from others that post their builds (becoming harder to find CAT hulls at this size to run multiple gas engines due to electrics starting to dominate the stage) to get that birds eye view on how to place items and get your build rolling. Well I have to say she is a BIG CAT!!!. Some comments now on the hull itself, constructions looks great even the seam lines are non existent. Nothing was warped and it was packaged and protected very, very, well for shipping. Inside the hull there is a nice coating over all the glass that was used and the transom is solid!! I am looking forward to sharing this adventure with you all. A quick shout out to "John Finch", thanks for the discussion we had some time back concerning this project. Wish me luck!!
Looks like a nice project. Good luck on the build!

@Nick Trotta Yes, the guys at Bonzi are great, worked with Dan and Dean who helped guide me through the ordering process along with some do's and don'ts on the way. Stay tuned all, more pics coming soon! Engines are built along with some custom engine mounts from Steve Stafiej. Also to note, it was decided that we are not going to be doing counter-rotating engines. As for the rudder it will be a TFL and not a speedmaster as I had a TFL in a box ready to go. Pics coming soon!!

Hey all, wanted to drop this to you, so here are the 2 engines with "Custom" engine mounts sitting in the hull (not bolted in yet). Now notice the relief cuts in the hull to accommodate the engines being able to drop into the sponson wells. We are getting there!!! Want to say thanks to Steve Stafiej for the help with the engine builds and mounts.

Attachments

• 1708705197564.jpeg
    1708705197564.jpeg
    448.5 KB · Views: 2
I really like the mounts that Steve made. However I would strongly suggest that you reinforce the bulkheads with some carbon cloth to better attach them to the bottom and sides. Especially because they are actually just single pieces of wood. Maybe even sandwich them with carbon plate. Also, before you make that the permanent location of the engines, you should mount your drives, rudder, place everything in the radio box, and basically do a full mock up of where everything needs to be positioned to achieve your correct cg which I think should be between 29 and 33 percent. With those engine mounts, you could easily adjust the engines forward or back if need be by using longer and shorter spacers on either end.

Those engines fit tight like a tiger!They look small in there.Do you use a header with like 100 degree or a wrap to center type of pipe?With the carbs tucked to the sides do you use a cable or linkage pushrods?It’s a awesom looking cat!Just need to plan everything setting it up.Are you planning on a radio box or open water proof servo?I will be following this build as not easy boat to rig.

@Roxyflash Not sure yet on header, maybe 100/105 and yes, have decided on throttle cables instead of linkage. Definitely a radio box for throttle servo(s), receiver and battery. Just one step at a time.

@Scott Tonak Thanks for the info!!!!

Hey all, sorry for the delay, just wanted to drop a note on progress!! Wanted to share some pics with you all, Well engines are mounted, Drive shafts are in along with drive hardware. Measuring for angle adjustments for header and exhaust. New Headers with an 18degree uplift are coming from Alan Terry.

Attachments

• 20240307_150450.jpg
    20240307_150450.jpg
    459.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 20240323_125226.jpg
    20240323_125226.jpg
    399.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 20240323_125255.jpg
    20240323_125255.jpg
    366.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 20240323_125534.jpg
    20240323_125534.jpg