wrecks at madisons races...

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the update Gale54 on the people in the rescue boat as this is the first update I've had.

Rigged, thanks for the screen capture. That picture kind of says it all

My prayers go out to the fireman and his family as well as the others that were injured in the two crashes. My beef with the Madison/ H1 people is how they awarded the victory to the Oberto boat. The H1 rules say the boat that causes an accident is the one disqualified. Even if Villwock hooked he was still running on the course and well out front when he was hit. They need to re address the rules. Hopefully they both get the hulls fixed for Detroit.

The Oberto team has leased the U9 to run in the Gold Cup and Steve David will not be driving. Replacement driver has not been released yet. Also the 96 and the 21 are in the U3 shop being repaired.

Buddy

Last edited by a moderator:
My beef with the Madison/ H1 people is how they awarded the victory to the Oberto boat. The H1 rules say the boat that causes an accident is the one disqualified. Even if Villwock hooked he was still running on the course and well out front when he was hit. They need to re address the rules.
Watch it again and check the elapsed time on the progress bar under the video. Villwock hooked at the 2:58 mark, is directly in front of the Oberto at the 2:59 mark, the hit happens just before 3:00. That's less than TWO SECONDS elapsed from the hook to the hit, they made the right call.

Here is another video from the front that shows Villwock spinning out and the Oberto running right over top.... Its the Ellstrom page but the video is in the top right corner....

Collision

I respect the call because the way their rules are made,but i feel that they should change that one. I our racing world the rules state if you hit a legal running boat on the racecourse and it no longer can continue you are DQ'd. Most Cd's would call that without hesitation. Although Don was right this was a bang-bang accident i still do not like the application of the H1 rules.

I respect the call because the way their rules are made,but i feel that they should change that one. I our racing world the rules state if you hit a legal running boat on the racecourse and it no longer can continue you are DQ'd. Most Cd's would call that without hesitation. Although Don was right this was a bang-bang accident i still do not like the application of the H1 rules.
I think in our r/c boat racing ,our rules should be changed.. if a boat whipes out in front of you or two boats wreck in front of you and you hit them,you shouldnt be DQ...there not enough time to advoid them...Now I can see if you was 3-4 lenghts behind them,then you could negociate around them.

I think in our r/c boat racing ,our rules should be changed.. if a boat wipes out in front of you or two boats wreck in front of you and you hit them,you shouldn't be DQ...there not enough time to avoid them...Now I can see if you was 3-4 lengths behind them,then you could negotiate around them.
If the CD is on his game it's not going to be a DQ, it's a racing accident. Even 3-4 lengths can even be not nearly enough especially with the faster hydros. You can cover alot of ground real quick at 70 or 80mph. :blink:

My beef with the Madison/ H1 people is how they awarded the victory to the Oberto boat. The H1 rules say the boat that causes an accident is the one disqualified. Even if Villwock hooked he was still running on the course and well out front when he was hit. They need to re address the rules.
Watch it again and check the elapsed time on the progress bar under the video. Villwock hooked at the 2:58 mark, is directly in front of the Oberto at the 2:59 mark, the hit happens just before 3:00. That's less than TWO SECONDS elapsed from the hook to the hit, they made the right call.
i would agree on the right call. i was watching on the internet when it happened. only saw it when it happened until now. clearly shows what really happened . i dont think i was breathing during that heat, i was just hopeing what happened wasnt going to. i saw those rollers and knew it was getting very rough.

I think in our r/c boat racing ,our rules should be changed.. if a boat wipes out in front of you or two boats wreck in front of you and you hit them,you shouldn't be DQ...there not enough time to avoid them...Now I can see if you was 3-4 lengths behind them,then you could negotiate around them.
If the CD is on his game it's not going to be a DQ, it's a racing accident. Even 3-4 lengths can even be not nearly enough especially with the faster hydros. You can cover alot of ground real quick at 70 or 80mph. :blink:
Indeed... dont think ive ever seen someone get DQ'd for hitting a boat that just dumped right in front of them.

On that subject, let me ask your opinion on this Don. Say the boat dumps in front of you at bouy 1 or 4... and you have a boat to the outside of you. To avoid running over the boat that just dumped in front of you, you slam the steering right and cut a buoy in the process to avoid the hit since going left would cause taking out another boat, and likely yourself at the same time. Should you really be penalized for that buoy cut?

I have had the exact thing happen in Sport 40 about 3 years ago in a race in North Carolina. We were running hard about 3 laps into the final round and going into bouy 1 a boat hooked from lane 3 into lane 1 as i am beginning to turn and i smashed him destroying both hulls. The CD awarded me the win because i had nowhere to go. Fortunately the guy i hit was my teammate and good friend. I guess at 170mph he also had nowhere to go but to hit the U-96. Thank God they both survived, this could have been much worse.

Guy's I am not a UL Hydro driver by any means,

But in that vid could he not have chopped tha throttle and given it a hard right?

To avoid collision......

At 140+ and less than 2 seconds, not a chance. When you consider that driving instructors tell their students to leave 2 seconds between them and any vehicle they follow and yet we still have accidents at half that speed, I think Steve did well to not hit the cockpit of the Qatar directly. With his tight arc on every corner he took, he would have gone right through Dave Villwock. Something else to consider is that the back of the boat is supported by the prop and air pressure. You remove the lift from the prop and the boat will probably blow over while still hitting the Qatar, making a bad situation even worse as it could have killed one or both drivers

JUST READ H1 WEDSITE. U9 WILL BE LEASED TO MADISON AND BE DRIVEN BY STEVE DAVID...NOW VILWOKS BOAT WILL BE REPAIRED IN EVENSVILL SHOP..THAT BOAT HAD MORE DAMAGES THEN STEVES BOAT... WHY DONT THEY SHIP THERE BACKUP HULL THE BOEING 787? THE BOYS IN EVENSVILL SHOP WILL BE WORKING ON IT 24-7 TO GET VILWOKS BOAT READY BY THURSDAY OR BY FRIDAY.BOY I HATE TO BE IN HERE SHOES.DONT THINK TO GLASS WORK WOULD BE FULLY CURED,WOW..THAT WOULD BE VERY RISKY TO TAKE THAT CHANCE..PROUBLEY WHY MADISON LEASED THE U9 THINKING THE SAME THING.

You apparently didn't look at all the damage to the Oberto. It took damage to both sponson fronts, left sponson around the skid fin bracket, canard and linkage, possibly the transom, rudder and mount, both vertical fins and probably some internal and bottom damage due to the impact and barrel roll it took. In contrast, the Qatar has damage to the cowl, both vertical fins and the left side of the boat. The fact that former Miss Madison driver and present crew chief Mike Hanson knows and drove the U-9 makes leasing the boat for a race or two the wise choise

capslock.jpg

I know rigged .. wasnt paying attention until I was half way threw and said hell with it and finished the rest of my reply in caps.lol..HJ from the pics joe tooked of vilwoks boat boat.& steves. looks like vilwoks got the most damages. but like you said there proubley under belly damages with rudder and turnfin damages.

Indeed... dont think ive ever seen someone get DQ'd for hitting a boat that just dumped right in front of them.

On that subject, let me ask your opinion on this Don. Say the boat dumps in front of you at bouy 1 or 4... and you have a boat to the outside of you. To avoid running over the boat that just dumped in front of you, you slam the steering right and cut a buoy in the process to avoid the hit since going left would cause taking out another boat, and likely yourself at the same time. Should you really be penalized for that buoy cut?
That's a discretionary call for the CD. If it were me in the chair and the boat clearly had no room to avoid the dumping boat I would not call the buoy cut. Of course that's as long as the boat dumping in front of the other happened at that very moment. ;)

Back