Ultimate Garage Workshop

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
T

TomMoorehouse

Ok, the deal is I don't have a basement or any workshop to speak of. So I'm getting a new garage this spring to get myself a workshop. I'm on a tight budget but I really want a nice setup. Ill sacrifice getting it done soon for making it nice.

I know some of you guys have real nice shops so i'm looking for input and ideas to make the shop the coolest! I have attached a couple screen shots of my ideas so far. Let me know if you have any ideas to make it better or if your a billionare and want to help me out $$$ :D

I was thinking a need a paint booth because I have to paint in the winter and don't think that just painting in some corner would be a good idea. I was thinking of leaving the floor concrete in the paint booth and insulating and tiling the floor in the shop. I thought a checkboard tile pattern would be cool!

So let it rip what ya think. If you were making a shop what would you have / do?

Thanks for any help!

Tom

View attachment 1966

Tom,

I have a few ideas that I found very useful to me.

1- An island table in the center that allows you to work on all sides is really nice. I got the idea Grimracer.

2-Shelving is a waste of valuable space, they worked best for me mounted up high away from floor space.

3- lots of cheap plastic type drawers, they help sort things out and keep out the dust.

4- Make everything moveable, keeps the shop dynamic so you can set up for different projects.

5- Don't forget the flammable materials cabinet.

Mike

Last edited by a moderator:
boy lucky you... my current shop consits of the breakfast bar for asembly/deasembly and the tub/shower as a paint booth :) good thing i got lots of painters tarps to keep the spray under controll.

at My house I had a shed in back with power hookup... the "storage" was up on the celeing joists, and shelves were at 6' all teh way arround. I had my craftsman pull around planted firmly at the back, and a small island that went thorugh the center containg my table saw and drill press the whole unit could be moved to the yard for larger projects, or slid to the side if i eeded to sit and work on details for awhile... it was small and any more than two ppl was a crowd for shure, but being able to walk around the table really helped out.

This guys got a lot of space, but it sure looks perty. Maybe you can use some ideas from his shop's picture-

oficina01.jpg

I don't think i have enough width for an island workbench :(

I like the plastic bin idea and the wheels idea. Flamable cabinet.... yea got to think about one for that also

maybe i can find used kitchen cabinets instead of shelfing

of course i have to find room for a stereo.... maybe in the wall speakers! :D

just an idea but how about a fire proof cabinet that is low enough to put a paint table right on top of it as to make it a base unit on wheels of coarse. .

And how about a car port / leen too type thing on the side or back for the boat to make more room inside. Scott

unfortunately i'm maxed out on size. any bigger and i would not have a backyard big enough to be good for anything.

Hey Tom

Your workshop would make me feel claustraphobic (sp) but I understand your space issue. If that's Don workshop - way too clean, would be afraid to do anything. Shelving - some at eye level, anything your not using a lot store in the roof space. Tables that fold away like trellis type tables are a good option for when you need a space to work and you can take them to the pond. Tiled floor - not so good - easy to clean possible slip hazard. Consider using sealed concrete, painted if you want. You cannot have too much lighting. You give up a lot of space for a spray booth - think temporary rather than permanent for the amount of time you will be using it. You can do a temporary wall type thing to get you past this - oh yeah use HVLP type gun and you will find spraying a lot less messy and easy. Plastic drawers on wheels - great idea I have about 5 sets. More drawers more stuff - that's how it works. lol

Think about it a lot and I would agree with Mike try not to make anything too permanent as you need the flexibility as the equipment you have changes. All in all best of luck setting up YOUR domain.

GT B)

Tom!

I'm pretty much in the same situation space wise in the garage area I'm going to use. I'm going a little different on the island approach to a work bench. It will be approx. 2' X 5" and waist high. I'm going to put locking wheel casters on it so I can put it against a wall when done for the day. You can get the casters from Harbor Freight.

Later!

Ed Radz

Tom my input would be to move the service door to the end of the work shop by heater (the same side as the garage door). Have it swing toward the heater. That will open up some more floor/wall space. Just my opinion. I don't even if you can do that.

Well, since you can't build out, how about building a little further up. A loft overhead serves as great storage. Maybe just 3 or 4 feet higher ceiling to make a nice one.

You may not even have to build taller walls, just make a gabled roof. like this ^ . ;)

A neat trick to do when you lack space would be to do like on the back of a pick up truck gate. Pick a wall, and mount a long work table to it. You can now lower it off the wall when you need it and then flip it back up and out of the way when you don't need it. That'll free up a ton of space.

Some hanging ceiling rafters are a bonus for storage of boats, radios etc....

I'd do like GTR and not make the paint booth permanent. Paint the floor and mix the non-slip sand into it. Safer and easy to sweep or clean spills.

No shop is complete without a small refrigerator, a sink and a fire-extinguisher.

Check with local lumber and home improvement centers for display model cabinets.Usually you can get them for 50-75% off. If they don't match just get out the paint brush.

tom ...

'

like u said try to find some built in speakers. . and mount them in a hollow wall so u built a kind of speaker kabinet .. i guess 6 by 9 inches ovals would do the trick to rock a bit .. instead of a home stereo buy a second hand car /cd player . small, easy lots of power and kind of dust proof .. i bet u have a battery charger where u can power up the radio with ..

just a tip .. make sure u put the drill. lathe ,mill , sand machines all at one side of the shop. this way u have the "dusty machines all in one place. . if u work good and clean . u will keep a clean spot in ur room ... for soldering and a laptop pc that is .. .

jerome

speakerboy said:
instead of a home stereo buy a second hand car /cd player . small, easy lots of power and kind of dust proof .. i bet u have a battery charger where u can power up the radio with ..
One of my friends mounted a doubledin sony into the wall of his garage ( i think it fis a chrysler mini van), he has a cdplayer, and a tape deck in it and i think he just uses a 12v adapter from RS to power it and in wall 6" speakers from RS for sound.. nice clean and outta the way plus he has a remote for it so he doesn't have to walk all over to change the channel or song

Here is a site you can find some very reasonable shop equipment i.e. work benches. Location are all over US check them out. I got (2) 6 foot electrical test benches wired on the upper shevling with outlets the whole lentgh for $100 for both. They are both formica topped metal benches drawers and cabinets on the bottom. Works gret for my shop in the garage.

Oh anothe ridea I use is the wire shelving less dust collected for small stuff just put a piece of lite ply on shelving and small items won't fall through.

Back