Pulling what's left of my hair out

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The glazing putty, is it air dry or catalyzed, IE: do you mix with hardner?
It has a hardner like bondo but easy to sand and spread drys fast also get a 3m rubber squeegee use lacquer thinner to clean the spreader before it hardens

Last edited:
I’ve had trouble with that spot putty and rustoleum primer. I use Rustoleum 2x. I wound up sanding off the primer in those areas. Add spot putty, let dry, sand, and then sit for a couple days. Or you could just use epoxy and micro balloons. This won’t clash with the primer. Thoroughly wipe that area down then try to reprime. Then, let the primer cure for 4-5 days. Lightly wet sand. Then spray color. Then add graphics etc and cure another 4-5 days. Then clear . What you save in money quickly gets eaten up in time and general grief. Next paint job will be good auto paint put into cans for colors then shoot clear with a gun. I don’t like getting out all that spray equipment but the product is just better. Anyway, good luck.

Cure times are most likely the problem.

Rustoleum will wrinkle if put over coats that didn't fully cure yet. Once it dries then you need a few days for it to be hard enough to recoat if the previous coats were heavy especially.

Rustoleum is enamel and has the highest chance of occurring over most other types.

Very common occurence.

why does rustoleum wrinkle on second coat - Bing

Cure times are most likely the problem.

Rustoleum will wrinkle if put over coats that didn't fully cure yet. Once it dries then you need a few days for it to be hard enough to recoat if the previous coats were heavy especially.

Rustoleum is enamel and has the highest chance of occurring over most other types.

Very common occurence.

why does rustoleum wrinkle on second coat - Bing
Well the boat sat for 3 days just got sanded down today for the most part the entire boat was sanded down not to Bear fiberglass but it was all sanded down hit with some crest automotive rattle can primer all the primer over the entire boat just crinkled

Attachments

• received_1501115754021588.jpeg
    received_1501115754021588.jpeg
    67.2 KB · Views: 0
Well the boat sat for 3 days just got sanded down today for the most part the entire boat was sanded down not to Bear fiberglass but it was all sanded down hit with some crest automotive rattle can primer all the primer over the entire boat just crinkled
Stop playing with rattle can stuff!!
Strip it down to bare epoxy glass.
Wash, scrub with scotch Brite & simple green. Wipe with prep solvent.
Get a inexpensive spray gun.
Prime with an epoxy primer. AFTER wiping down with prep solvent.
After a GOOD primer you can rattle can color....
But seal it with a good 2K clear coat.

I've experienced this on rockets. Was it the same paint can that is crinkling? The conclusion I came to after researching it on the rocketry and model airplane forums is that different batches of Rust-Oleum and Krylon could have different propellant and thinners depending on where and when they where manufactured causing this, unless you wait like 3 months to re-coat.

I use either paint from Wings West and clear coat it with Spray Max clear epoxy (small things like cowls) or Klass Koat for bigger ones......

Gotta wipe it down with acetone (or at least alcohol) before you spray.

Last edited:
Got her painted with klass kote, was just going to throw this in the closet and work on my blazer sport 40 but they don't seem to be having any cowls for them, and I need it ready for first part of May so we'll have the stealth ready to go

Attachments

• IMG_20240316_142140780.jpg
    IMG_20240316_142140780.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20240316_142112177.jpg
    IMG_20240316_142112177.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20240316_210134799.jpg
    IMG_20240316_210134799.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
Looks like some orange peal going on but at least it’s painted!The klasskote can be sanded and repainted if the orange peal bothers you.

After all the sanding and read priming and sanding and repriming I'm just done with it and it's fine the way it is me it's just a race boat lol long as it's fast
I feel ya on that. Sometimes the painting process just goes on and on and just when you think it’s done, you get runs, crinkles, orange peel, whatever… I had a couple runs recently on a paint job. I’ll deal with them at some point but I just couldn’t do it anymore right now. It looks really good otherwise. You just get weary of the process. I don’t know how body shop people do it.

Got her painted with klass kote, was just going to throw this in the closet and work on my blazer sport 40 but they don't seem to be having any cowls for them, and I need it ready for first part of May so we'll have the stealth ready to go
looks good now, You best get someone to paint that wood blazer it would be more work.

Back