ICE vs Ohms law

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
He folks,
Haven’t been into RC boating for 15 years. Gonna resurrect the hobby.

I’m floored by how far “electric” has come in that time. I looked at the Oxidean boat vids.

I have a pretty perfect, likely outdated “microburst” hull that just needs a .67.

Can’t find a .67 that’s primo. Now I’m thinking about the hassle of nitro.

Can anyone tell me pros and cons???? Believe it or not, I’m in the microchip and high tech industry but hate electronics. I have always been better with gas/nitro. I’m kinda scared about the electronics.

Any feedback would be great. Pros and cons. Looking at either a new CMB or one of those Oxidean things…

All the best
Flemming

Welcome Flemming,

As a guy who has raced both, only thing I can tell you is they both have their own challenges. Both have their positives and negatives. if you plan on competitively racing spend some time with area clubs that have racing and pick something that has boats/classes you can race in. If racing isn‘t what your after go after the power source that scratches the itch sorta speak.

Electric will allow you to get in the water fairly quick and parts are easily accessible. You will need to have a method to recharge your batteries or have multiple packs. Not all ponds have power accessible for charging equipment.

Nitro will allow you to really learn about the mechanics of international combustion engines and what makes them sing. Although, you will need to get connected with the right source for the right parts (engines, pipes, fuel, etc)

good luck

What do you want to do with the boat Flemming? Run for fun or race? Whether you run FE or Nitro, it will require a good bit of money and time. I run both nitro and FE boats and enjoy the 2 equally! I would say that of the 2 types, The FE boats are overall a bit easier to run and maintain than nitro, but its a matter of what you like to do.

One thing no one has mentioned yet is that an ICE powered boat can limit where you run. In my area, many of the lakes and ponds do not allow fuel powered boats, noise and pollution being the reasons given. FE removes the restriction since, relatively speaking, FE doesn't pollute(at least not that can be readily seen) and they are significantly quieter.

We have a great club going now in the GTHA, 45 members last year making it the biggest in IMPBA I'm told.

We have a meeting this Sunday in Port Credit, bring your boat out and ask around, lotsa experience in nitro, gas and electric.

Check out or FB page at: Northern Lights MBC
Thank you Terry! I remember you from like 20 years ago! I will try to get to Port Credit and I thank you for the invite!

Back