Twin set up chew on this..............

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There are plenty of rumours on how to stop a twin pulling in to the course, I think I have tested most. The most effective is adding toe-in to the inside sponson. The trade off is the boat not tracking straight while going slow. I have also tried adding a little more angle of attack to the inside sponson, strut adjustments, prop sizes. I have even tried graphite paint on the inside sponson and none of the above made no noticeable difference. By saying no noticeable difference, meaning I wasn't able to take any of the left trim out of the rudder and still have the boat track straight.

There are plenty of rumours on how to stop a twin pulling in to the course, I think I have tested most. The most effective is adding toe-in to the inside sponson. The trade off is the boat not tracking straight while going slow. I have also tried adding a little more angle of attack to the inside sponson, strut adjustments, prop sizes. I have even tried graphite paint on the inside sponson and none of the above made no noticeable difference. By saying no noticeable difference, meaning I wasn't able to take any of the left trim out of the rudder and still have the boat track straight.
Thanks Dave, this was going to be my next step.
default_smile.png

My head hurts! I have minimal testing on my SGX, couple of testing runs this past weekend, motors are syncd pretty good, good news is my replacement boom tubes held up. I dont think my engines are ready to spool up to their potential just yet. I did lean things down in and got some reasonable overall speed but found that it now torques to the inside some, not an unmanageable amount but more than I want. Im still working with my 1667s, when the engines come to me I will mess with the 2717 and 2719s that Mark made up for me. So many opinions on what works and doesnt work to counter act torquing, can any one narrow the options down a tad?

Do the life changing props torque more, less, equally, or is it all still a crap shoot as to what will or will not work?
. Being that it’s an sgx, the boat I know is good, I would be looking hard at a longer rudder. Jeff Lutz

jeff is onto it. Rudder or Rudder servo. if it dont track straight we are up to a 1/5th scale 700oz turn servo today.

What servo are you using at this point?

I know on my single SGX with a woods 1.5" wide rudder 400oz just gets it done.

Last edited by a moderator:

I forget the number but it’s Futaba’s latest one that cranks out 340 oz, my rudder blade is of good size and length, it turns easily, even if

I choose to rail the buoys. I’m pretty sure a touch of tow in on the inside sponson will fix it, I’ve periodically needed to do this to the many Eagles I’ve owned and raced. I was mostly curious if people were finding if there was any difference in the prop walk of a set of 1667’s vs the new style props. I always set my Eagles up to give me fairly responsive left turn correction capabilities but found with this Twin it fought me more than I like. I’ve watched Allen Yuen over the last couple of years battle the same issue and he loses a lot of speed while he does so. I try to tune my ride to a more compliant ride so that I don’t scrub off speed while I’m fixing a driving error or avoiding a race course hazard.

I’ll get there, just takes more testing and tuning.

whats radio system that's currently out that we can run 7.4 Volts ??? I would like to purchase one ASAP

whats radio system that's currently out that we can run 7.4 Volts ??? I would like to purchase one ASAP
Been out for years.http://hitecrcd.com/products/surface-radios-receivers-and-accessories/surface-radios-2/lynx-4s-four-channel-surface-radio-system/product
no thanks I stick with futaba LOL
Right because its so much better. The hitec has performed flawless for Atleast 3 yrs and has gps speed built in. Lol.

Been out for years.http://hitecrcd.com/products/surface-radios-receivers-and-accessories/surface-radios-2/lynx-4s-four-channel-surface-radio-system/product
Right because its so much better. The hitec has performed flawless for Atleast 3 yrs and has gps speed built in. Lol.
never had a failure since I been running Futaba on my RC Boats over 10 years. I don't need GPS on my radio that's why they have time trials LOL..

And when was the last time you went to a time trial or a race? Your awfully critical anything anyone else does. I guess your way is the only way. Everyone is fast when they run alone.

And when was the last time you went to a time trial or a race. Your awfully critical anything anyone else does I guess your way is the only way. Everyone is fast when they run alone.
everyone has been posting about what they have ran or there experience. I have been posting about what I have been doing on my twin. in no POST on here I said my way was the only way did I ??? if so please point it out to me ????

Better to be alone running my boats and happy then to be accompanied by people you don't want to be around and miserable .. happy boating Mr. King

I forget the number but its Futabas latest one that cranks out 340 oz, my rudder blade is of good size and length, it turns easily, even ifI choose to rail the buoys. Im pretty sure a touch of tow in on the inside sponson will fix it, Ive periodically needed to do this to the many Eagles Ive owned and raced. I was mostly curious if people were finding if there was any difference in the prop walk of a set of 1667s vs the new style props. I always set my Eagles up to give me fairly responsive left turn correction capabilities but found with this Twin it fought me more than I like. Ive watched Allen Yuen over the last couple of years battle the same issue and he loses a lot of speed while he does so. I try to tune my ride to a more compliant ride so that I dont scrub off speed while Im fixing a driving error or avoiding a race course hazard.

Ill get there, just takes more testing and tuning.
I found no noticeable difference in prop walk between a 1667 style prop to a 19 degree rake ABC prop

. Danny, have you compared any speeds you have received on the hitec gps versus a radar gun? I don’t even know if it shows speed, I’m asking. In the past gps strapped on model boats were not accurate when being whipped through the turns.

Yes it shows real-time speed and holds the highest speed until the radio is shut off. You can also set the alarm to whatever speed you chose so you dont have to look at the radio to see if its running over said speed.

Yes its been tested and and shown to be accurate. I do agree Id be wary of speed readings on uturns or really sharp turns.

But it is very consistent.

Futaba 4pls with 2104 receiver...has all the gadgets you want....
default_biggrin.png
default_biggrin.png
default_cool.png

Back