G30 build notes

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark Anderson

Supporting Member
Joe sent me a boat to build for Eric Bourlet. My original plan was to do a full build thread, but have decided it is not needed. Joe did a great job on this kit and the instructions. I am going to note some materials and methods that I use when building them. Built with the products and processes in the instructions will get you a great running easy to build boat. I just prefer to do it a little different. I have used this process for a number of years with great results.
For adhesives I use thin & medium CA, 5min epoxy, original Gorrila glue and laminating epoxy. The way that I build them, you have to be prepaired and have a plan. The Gorrila foams pretty fast. Epoxy only bonds to the surface of the foam. Gorrila, due to its foaming action will penetrate into the foam.
I start by preparing the foam as shown in the instructions. When its time to glue the inside and outside sheets on, I use 5 minute epoxy. This first bonding will be reinforced when the other sheets are glued on. I do the inside and outside of each sponson at the same time. prepare everything before you start. Have weights ready and tape strips already torn off and stuck to the edge of the bench. Fully coat the wood surface and tape it in place. put the inside against the table and place weights on the outside. I have a bunch of 5lb disc weights and pieces of slate that I use.
The epoxy will take a bit to dry, so at this point I move to the center section. I follow the glueing order in the instructions, but just tack it together with CA. I just want everything tacked securely at this point. I seal the inside of the center section, glue the radio box lip, and the decks in one step. First I brush a good coat of laminating resin on both sides of all of the joints. The resin will flow into the joints. Then I make sure all of the inside surfaces, underside of the radio box lip, and the decks are coated with resin. Bend a brush so that you can coat inside the cut outs and under edges. Mix some resin with light weight thickener to make a paste. I use a combination of cotton fibers and fumed silica. Apply a small fillet of the thickened epoxy on all inside corners of the radio box. Apply thickened epoxy to the tops of the deck frames and radio box. Tape, pin and weight the lip and decks in place. Put a couple of weights on the center section to make sure it is flat on the table.
Now I move back to the sponsons. Do them one at a time. For this step I am going to switch to the Gorrila Glue. It is activated by humidity. When bonding sheeting to foam, I put a small amount of glue on the wood spread with a plastic spreader. It takes alot less then you would think. In one of the pictures you can see how much glue I put on the first sheet, It was a bit too much once it was spread out. I use a spray bottle with water in it to slightly wet the foam. Put a 1/16 bead of glue along the foam just inside the previously installed sheets. tape the bottom and back pieces in place. You already had your tape torn into pieces right? Set them on the table and place weights on them. I use a lot of tape to keep the foaming action from moving the sheeting.
At this point the sponsons need to set for 3 hrs. until the next sheet can be installed. The center section will need to cure for 12 hrs. At this point I have been working on the boat 2 hours. It is 70% built.
Thats it for now.
IMG_20210606_123238233.jpgIMG_20210606_132045169.jpgIMG_20210606_133618693.jpg

After letting the sponsons dry for about 2.5 hours, I trimmed the transom flush with the top of the foam and glued the decks on using the Gorrila glue and water. A couple of hours later. I trimmed the foam and glued the nose blocks on. This morning they were untaped.
IMG_20210607_073137837.jpg
You can see in this picture where the glue foamed out through a tightly taped seam. On the inside it will have crept several rows of beads deep into the foam cores and to the side sheets making a strong joint.
A few minutes at the belt sander to trim the top and bottom sheets and it is ready to start sealing.
IMG_20210607_075424541.jpg
Before sealing remove sanding dust from the stumble block slots and the dowel holes. I brush a liberal coat of the laminating resin on all of the surfaces and let it set for about 10 minutes to soak in. Then I wipe the excess off with paper towels. Now it is wait until tomorrow before I can move on to the next step.

Got a few minutes to work on the boat tonight. Got everything sanded. For sanding I use a 12" hard block and a small soft block. The soft block is used only on the decks. The sides and bottoms are always sanded with the hard block. Before sanding I made a cross hatch pattern on the sponson bottoms with a pencil. This shows me right away if the bottoms are true. This boat is really good. If any low spots show up this is when I would fill them. From the first sanding work to keep the corners as sharp as possible, and the running surfaces true. It got a second coat of epoxy on after the sanding was complete. I put this coat on with a plastic scraper.

So your building Erics boat while he rides around the country in his RV? what a great friend

Back