THOR - FLAT BUILD / CORELOCK

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Carl sent me a new 3.5 Thor boat to build to see how I like the boat and the fit on all the parts.All the pieces fit like a glove all tight joints and not a lot of sanding.I built mine for the 3.5 nitro.If you go by the booklet with the kit you shouldn't have any problems building this kit.Carl did a great job on this kit.

Dave Roach
Yes but I am on my 4th Laser company as of yesterday.
That's not fun, Carl. Hopefully this one works out!!

Carl, I can feel your pain, I can't hire anyone to do a decent job regardless of the price. Makes you want to buy a lazer and cut them yourself doesen't it?

Hey Guys,

As of just last week I finally found a laser company that can actually do quality work at a reasonable price and do it fast and also can and "WILL" communicate with customers. If you want a challenge, go try to find all that in one place. LOL

I received a prototype kit from them last week that was beautiful. I had them burn a second design and had it sent to a builder that has built wood kits for 30 years and the first thing he said was that he was astounded at how the burn looked. Actually, since I posted last about this issue, I have been through two more laser companies. I have had 7 Prototypes made of just this model and believe me it is not cheap to get that first kit in your hand.

This search for the right laser company has pushed everything together and now the THOR 295 project has spilled over into the next big project. Actually the second design fell right into place by having this laser situation sorted out, it went right through and is being built right now. Being in engineering and manufacturing for quite some time we all know that project launches can be quite painful as they go well past predetermined deadlines even if no sacrificial goat is tossed onto the fire in the process. (That would be me)

The best part of this is, I can actually now say with a fair degree of confidence that we are ready place an order to burn production kits next week even with a severely blown project budget and a few additional bottles of Tylenol thrown at the subject. With the turnaround capabilities they have, I feel like I can reasonably say that I will have kits here in my shop in two weeks.

Thanks to all that have been patient. It looks as if it will be worth the wait.

Thanks,

-Carl

Thanks for your time on this project Carl,we all await those sought after kits

Last edited by a moderator:
Had the chance to work with Carl on the new 3.5 Thor Tunnel build.I The boat was built and set up per Instruction. Finished mine two weeks ago and the weather in Dayton,Ohio was great to get out and try out the new Thor.It was a little windy 10 mph from the south blowing in your face.Fired up the Os thur the boat in and set the third channel needle and was on it's way. The water was a little chop to it the boat run great fast and stable good corner speed aired out real will.Leaned the engine to see what it would do the faster it went the more the boat would lay down just as desinged for the boat.Carl did his home work on this boat. Ron Shaw is testing the Mod boat and looking for a good feed back from him.

Great Job Carl

Dave Roach

I get asked this question a lot and I just wanted to post the answer here for people who are wondering the same thing. The last revision THOR 295 "R-5G" laser wood kit comes out of the box at 1 pound and 14 ounces and the trimmed fiberglass cowlings are averaging around 5-1/2 ounces. So doing the math you are looking at a dry weight of just under 2 pounds out of the box.

A good builder can finish out the model at a ready to run weight of about: 5 lbs. to 5lbs & 4oz. (less fuel)

Thanks

-Carl

A good builder can finish out the model at a ready to run weight of about: 5 lbs. 4oz. (less fuel)

Thanks

-Carl
it will be interesting to see what weight an FE version can be built to. I took every angle I could in my Lynx build to save weight and, even for a fairly heavy hull, it turned out to be light in comparison to other FE builds I'd seen or done.

Kent,

It ran great right up to the end if open water on Friday. The boat is very fast and stable. Unfortunately I found decking separation in several places due to charring from one if the initial laser guys Carl was using. My boat was built from one of these first run kits. The charring caused the seams to separate. We decided to scratch rather than risk further separation and water damage so Carl could further investigate. His new laser guy is providing perfect laser cutting for his production kits so this problem has been eliminated!!!....
default_smile.png

BTW, it is an extremely fast boat and drives through the corners as if its on rails. Put it this way, anyone building this kit in the future will be very happy with the results!!!...
default_smile.png

Back