THOR - FLAT BUILD / CORELOCK

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes Dave. Donnie and I are meeting up soon try a couple of different power heads.

Anyone going to have one of these at the NAMBA Nationals? I was hoping to see one by now.

so does gas tunnel have a straight line record? if so what is the MPH

greg
Hey Greg,

There is no record available for the gas class yet. Gas tunnels are still considered a "specialty class" by the IMPBA and these boats would have to have a basic guideline drawn up to govern the class and submitted to the board. Then the class would run for a year using the guidelines and then after that, it could be considered for making it an official IMPBA class. You can't book a straight line or round track time for a boat that the IMPBA does not consider an official class. Bob is working on this for us now. Hopefully this will all get done and we can start running for records with these boats.

-Carl

Thanks Carl for the Info maybe this will happen one day

I would like to know what is a fast time for the current

I hear some are looking at 60, some say they did that years ago

so I don't what to believe but have to think that 60 to 70 is achieveable

Greg

Thanks Carl for the Info maybe this will happen one day

I would like to know what is a fast time for the current

I hear some are looking at 60, some say they did that years ago

so I don't what to believe but have to think that 60 to 70 is achieveable

Greg
Hey Greg,

Well even though we all are trying to get these big monsters faster down the straights, the lap speed is really where its at right now in the gas tunnel game. If you noticed there were a couple of gas boats that were noticeably faster than ours on the track in S.C. but our corner speed kept our lap times where they needed to be. I am happy with the transition into the corners, through the corner and the exit speed looked good but now we are fine tuning the top end. You will see a noticeable difference this fall. I believe that mid 60's will be the norm in this class but if you can't carry it around the turns without sitting the hull down to turn, it won't buy you much.

-Carl

Hi Carl that is the problem I have like most, the big boat is tricky to corner.

sometimes like a dragster at the local circle track.

so for me its pratice,pratice ,pratice and then more pratice.

one of the things i have notice but don't really understand, a tunnel should actually speeds up in the corner, but the gas tunnels act like they want to bury to the right sponson coming out of the corner, then some spin out. does this mean the center of gravity is to far forward, or prop has to much lift??? or am i even close?

Greg

Hi Carl that is the problem I have like most, the big boat is tricky to corner.

sometimes like a dragster at the local circle track.

so for me its pratice,pratice ,pratice and then more pratice.

one of the things i have notice but don't really understand, a tunnel should actually speeds up in the corner, but the gas tunnels act like they want to bury to the right sponson coming out of the corner, then some spin out. does this mean the center of gravity is to far forward, or prop has to much lift??? or am i even close?

Greg
One of the quickest and most effective was to ensure that your boat doesn't squat trying to get through the turns is to design your model to be lite weight and then when building it, making sure your not adding too much epoxy. Then design the remaining issues out. This could take a few tries depending on what kind of issues you are trying to get out. Having a well balanced design to start with helps. Some boats are too far off to fix. Take for instance fixing an old Hotshot 45 to run with today's designs.

-Carl

Last edited by a moderator:
So your saying Pull the drag slicks off the back and add stagger so it will turn........LOL

thanks Carl, i guess Ill just keep up with the pratice and bring the Yellow InsaneTunnel to SC and see what happens,

Greg

So your saying Pull the drag slicks off the back and add stagger so it will turn........LOL

thanks Carl, i guess Ill just keep up with the pratice and bring the Yellow InsaneTunnel to SC and see what happens,

Greg
LOL I have never seen your boat before but if it weighs 23 or 24 pounds and is digging around the middle pin like most gas boats like to do, that will be an issue when racing against one that is 18 pounds and cutting a smooth turn with only 1000 inch ounces of steering servo. How much servo does your model require to get you through the turns? If it requires over 1000 inch ounces to turn it, you are fixing the "cause of your issue" with pure servo torque not to mention the broken cables that can come along with all that. It sounds like you are a great competitor in the O/B gas class. Did you design the boat you are talking about? If not and you think that your model is too far off the pace, just try a different model because tunnel boat design can soak up YEARS of your life. I am going on 36 years of it.

-Carl

Last edited by a moderator:
Carl the Boat is an Insane Tunnel it weighs 20lbs and I use the servo city Mega Servo, it has 4000 in ounce pounds I do use LIPO 7.4 also

can't say how much it takes to turn the boat,it handles pretty good all through-out the course, i was only asking about the spin outs as i have seen this happen many times with all different makes of models.

not sure if i will be as fast as any of the boats in SC but I will be there, will you make this Race? if so I hope to meet you.

thanks

Greg

Carl the Boat is an Insane Tunnel it weighs 20lbs and I use the servo city Mega Servo, it has 4000 in ounce pounds I do use LIPO 7.4 also

can't say how much it takes to turn the boat,it handles pretty good all through-out the course, i was only asking about the spin outs as i have seen this happen many times with all different makes of models.

not sure if i will be as fast as any of the boats in SC but I will be there, will you make this Race? if so I hope to meet you.

thanks

Greg
Greg,

That is some serious steering right there dude. At this point, the plan is to come to that race to just hang out, have some down time and to shoot the bull. I hope the weather will be good for all the classes. One thing is for sure, it has to get rough to put the gas tunnels on the bench. I look forward to meeting you as well and seeing what kind of competition shows up.

-Carl

thanks

Greg
Greg having been able to watch your boat race in several races, its pretty stout , Wayne's boat IMHO is one **** good runner, and your right there ,

Go give em fits and drive it like Otter taught ya
default_wink.png

Hey Carl, Lets talk about the Thor 295 a little more. What effect would it have on the aero if I take 2.5 inches off the front of the boat so it will fit in the N electric class. I did this with the Lynx and it seemed to have no adverse effects. "2 Lap" season is coming up soon
default_smile.png
:)
default_smile.png

David

Hey Carl, Lets talk about the Thor 295 a little more. What effect would it have on the aero if I take 2.5 inches off the front of the boat so it will fit in the N electric class. I did this with the Lynx and it seemed to have no adverse effects. "2 Lap" season is coming up soon
default_smile.png
:)
default_smile.png

David
Hello David,

Call me and we can talk about it. I think it will do fine actually. That sponson tip mod you did looked really cool too. I have a used test model here that would do fine for a chop shop project.

-Carl

I know I had asked earlier but I don't have much patience. Any video on the 40 boat or anything? Curios minds need to know!

Latest posts

Back