That little stinker.......

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

[email protected]

Okay, I've had discussions with many of you about painting techniques, styles etc....some on the board some over the phone. Recently, I had a friend want a paint job. He said the boat was pretty clean, needed a little wet sanding and some primer. It's something like a 50+inch cat. I asked if he knew if it was a Deltron PPG paint on it, gel coat....etc?? Because that would make my life easier to know since I want to avoid orange peeling and cracking as well as chemical divorce...LOL :lol:

He said Deltron, no cracks just a straight paint job...."How much would you charge?" Well, site unseen I said I'd give him a deal at $100 as long as I had eveything needed in stock to do the paint job. I could see him wince with cheapness and then he dropped the bomb..."Dude, I could get a paint job anywhere for half of that!"....so I said "Fine, go for it!" Any how two days later, with defeat in his voice he gave me the cock-n-bull story how he'd rather give the friend twice as much and know it would be good work than pay a hack $50. I couldn't resist the urge to know how much another painter wanted.....He said $300+ more once the job was done. With all his cheapness in his heart he wanted to know how I could charge him, my friend $100??

So, this brings the moral of the post. Here's how I break down selling my material I purchased either for myself or another paint job, let me know how your's compare:

1) SEM primer $12

2) one base color one pint (let's say white) $28,

if you want red one pit is $60

3) one quart reducer $29

4) 3 parts of clear in quart size (Hardner, reducer, clear) $109

5) one gallon Lacquer Thinner $10

6) Fine Line tape for masking boat, checkers, flames, etc $8

7) Tack cloth $0.79

Grand total: $196.79 if you use white, with red $228

Your for sure gonna be able to paint 2 boats with all this material so let's cut the cost in half that comes to $98.40 for white and $114 for red.

So like most people that don't paint boats he said he had no idea. I explained to him it would still take me a couple days to do the job.

Now let's see the boat..... :eek: :eek: :eek: EXACTLY what my face looked like when I saw this piece of [SIZE=14pt]CRAP[/SIZE]

sO MUCH FOR THE BOAT NOT NEEDING WORK. BOTH POINTS OF THE TIPS OF THE CAT HAD DIFFERENT SHAPES, ONE WAS FLAT ONE WAS TRIANGLED, NEITHER HAD A NICE POINT. When I put water in the boat it spilled right out of them. The rear deck looked like swiss cheese from all the holes he redrilled to align the strudder up, the auto-bailers etc.....not to mention each side had two holes for the water out lets, he said he couldn't decide which hole was cooler for the water to come out. So now I tell him well need micro ballon, fiberglass resin and hardner, so add another $15 for this material at the LHS. The deck was wavy, had stress cracks galore and probably would need about 10-20 sheets of wet sand paper, add about $10 to $20 for that.

So it would probably take a good 2 days to get it ready for primering and painting. So after he and I sat down and did the math I honestly told him that even I couldn't afford to paint my friends boat for $100 and come out in the negative end of the deal.

He was bummed and actually said he'd just run it as is. I'd like to hear what you guys charge people to paint boats and how you explain the costs of labor and material to the hard headed. :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
I also forgot to mention that most paying customers don't want edges over several colors so wet sand like 2000 grit is very expensive as well as a rubbing compound and polish to work the clear when your done. That is a step I tend to not bother with on my own boats because I don't mind edges sometimes.

I had $50 figured in materials just to paint my rig:

1 Can coverite primer (white) $3.99

1 Can coverite white base $3.99

1 Can coverite red base $3.99

sand paper (who knows?)

Materials ($5-$10

Decals $3.99

1 Can coverite clear. $3.99

This just to end up with a simple red detail pattern on an otherwise white boat. Oh, and a few numbers and a good coat of clear. Blah. Not to mention a few hours of hand-sanding, and this paint is relatively cheap stuff. This is all before shipping + Haz-mat, or before tax if you buy locally. And these are Tower's prices....

Tack onto that filling the hull... I'll be filling an epoxy-glassed hull, so probably $15 worth fill epoxy and microbeads. Sanding for days. Kevlar transom reinforcement. There's another $10-$20 IF I'M LUCKY. Again with the sanding thing.

But... when we both know when you're done and step back and see that finish that YOU did... not some factory quickie-job... it's worth it.

I always love the answer to the question...

So what kind of shape is it in?

it usually is something along the lines of... "man it is in great shape!!! maybe a little sanding and bondo!!! :blink:

coming from the average non painter that means..

"Man I got this p.o.s. and I want you to make it look like brand new again!!!!" ;)

I think we need to remember that when we ask this question to someone who hasn't painted before, that is the answer we will get... and also that if they had any idea what shape their stuff is in they would be capable of fixing it their self or throwing it in the trash!!!!

been there.... I feel the pain!!!!! <_<

Hey Rodney,

Yep you hit tha nail on the head Buddy!!!!

This is why I HATE PAINT!!!! :lol:

To answer your question, I have a friend that does all my paint work, If I pick colors from leftover jobs he already has, stick with two colors, and clear, He usually charges me for the labor, 75 to 150 for a hull, motorcycle tank and fender, etc....... B)

Gene :D

I just finished painting 4 boats (riggers) for a friend. I had already purchased the base materials for myself ($200, PPG). I told him $75 per boat and he pays for the colors ($40 each pint) and I keep the paint. Once I have have his color I will only charge $75. I do solid colors only for individual pieces. No schemes, fades, lines, and what-nots. Body work will be absolutely minimum. Basically I want to just sand it to the point where paint will stick. After painting there is no buffing or polishing.

If you have to repair a boat then you are certainy killing yourself. If I were in the business of painting I would probably charge $100-$150 per boat for one color. Body work, maybe $15-$20 per hour.

If you have to explain yourself to a "friend" then it isn't even worth the trouble. You paint a boat for $100 and you make $50. And how many hours does it take? Painting is definitely a favor in my book.

You would probably be ahead if you threw his boat away and bought a new one. :lol:

Hmm. Maybe I'll do the entire hull in Kevlar. Then maybe I can avoid the bondo later.

Oh, for a lake without rocks. Or other boats. Or logs. Or.. fun?

God **** it Preston, your right! I think those hulls are like $200 bucks. And that means No Miracle Required! :lol: :lol: :lol:

God **** it Preston, your right! I think those hulls are like $200 bucks. And that means No Miracle Required!   
Tell him you will give him a boat that is good as new for $250. Tell him he would never know the difference. But also tell him that he can only choose from the basic gelcoat colors offered by the manufacturer. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Then when he asks why he has to remount all the hardware, just tell him you filled all the holes! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Preston_Hall said:
Tell him you will give him a boat that is good as new for $250.
Yeah, the boat would actually track straight for once!

:lol: :D :lol: :D :lol: :D :lol: :D :lol:

I could hear him haggaling me know "come on dude surely you can hook me up for $200".... :lol: :lol:

Isn't it funny how "dude can you paint my boat" turns into sanding,sanding, filling, sanding, priming, sanding, spray color, sanding, clearcoat, wetsanding, polishing. Oh I forgot masking and applying decals. :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: B) . So I tell them sure dude, $100-$175 for average jobs, Scale boats $150-$300 they supply the decals..............Oh and did we mention the fumes....... Oh and building the shed out back cuz the wife and new baby can't stand the fumes.........And the disposal fee to get rid of dirty thinner and such ................ ;) ;) ;) :D :D My .02 cents

Preston_Hall said:
Tell him you will give him a boat that is good as new for $250.
Yeah, the boat would actually track straight for once!

:lol: :D :lol: :D :lol: :D :lol: :D :lol:

I could hear him haggaling me know "come on dude surely you can hook me up for $200".... :lol: :lol:
Just give him the boat back & say "thanks but no thanks". A single color with minimal ( & I mean MINIMAL ) prep work is worth $100 plus ALL materials. And that's just primer, scuff the primer & one color of paint. A guy down this way asked me how much to paint his scale hull as the Miss Petro's Pizza (a floating american flag basically). I told him $500 plus all materials & he looked at me like I had 3 eyes. Geez, I thought I was giving him a pretty good price! There sure are alot of people who don't have a clue how much work it really is.............. <_<

Don Ferrette said:
A guy down this way asked me how much to paint his scale hull as the Miss Petro's Pizza (a floating american flag basically). I told him $500 plus all materials......
That's actually a tough paint scheme to do. Seems straight forward and simple until you try it and see how intense the masking becomes.

Latest posts

Back