Best Brushes for Epoxy

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Terry Heddin

What are you guys finding are the best brushed for epoxy sealing. I have been using small acid brushes, but looking for a better option, especially for the very thin first cover coat.

I just use the cheap 1" brushes you can get from home depot. I ordered them on Amazon thou to get the price break. I think last I paid 34 cents a piece. For sealing the outside of boat, I pour on and use a scrap piece of wood to spread the epoxy around. I scrap it back off into the mixing cup too. This reduces waste. I then wipe down with paper towel. Inside boat use the 1" brush. You can make your epoxy go a long way to sealing a boat. Someone suggested a silicon brush. I tried one. Not bad for putting epoxy where you want it but for volume, not the best. Saves on brush costs thou.
Mike

https://www.amazon.com/Bates-Brushe...716133912&sprefix=1+brush,aps,153&sr=8-7&th=1

https://www.amazon.com/Silicone-Sha...4&sprefix=silicone+brush,aps,182&sr=8-29&th=1

I like foam brushes, 1”or 2” I order on line as well. In order to spread the thinned epoxy I also warm it after mixing with a hot air gun and use halogen work lights to warm and keep the boat warm so the epoxy flows out. I don’t paint boats anymore except the cowls, I only use clear epoxy on the rest of the hull and add accents with vinyl.

I like foam brushes, 1”or 2” I order on line as well. In order to spread the thinned epoxy I also warm it after mixing with a hot air gun and use halogen work lights to warm and keep the boat warm so the epoxy flows out. I don’t paint boats anymore except the cowls, I only use clear epoxy on the rest of the hull and add accents with vinyl.
John, are you finishing the final coat of epoxy (wet sand, compound, polish) on the boat? Im kind of thinking doing that kind of finish on my next boat as i just finished a G30 tunnel by painting the cowl, sealing the hull but spraying a clear coat on the hull for the final finish. I do my outriggers that way

Bill, I scuff with red scotch brite between coats but only brush the finish no spraying. That’s on the riggers. I think I would spray a final on a tunnel or sport boat.

What are you guys finding are the best brushed for epoxy sealing. I have been using small acid brushes, but looking for a better option, especially for the very thin first cover coat.
They make a rubber brush that you can buy at Hobby Lobby. It has a nice sharp edge on it and can be used like a squeegee.. I brush on with a cheap chip brush you can get from Harbor Freight then I squeegee excess off with the rubber brush.. cleans up easy so you can continue to use many times

Harbor freight 1" and 2" chip brushes. They also sell packs of acid brushes. You can bend these and get under the radio box lip much easier for a better seal.

For Sealing I use hotel key cards , pour the epoxy on the wood directly and squeegee around with the platic card , then remove any left over extra with paper towels . In very tight spots I use the acid brushes also .

Back