RTR 18 HYDROPLANE (DISTRICT 14) RULES

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mike, my reason for voting for the engine swap is for the simple reason that owners of the older Vegas cannot buy a new AQ-18 motor. If a new NEW POTENTIAL racer with an older Vegas hull needed a replacement engine (which is no longer available) , why would that person need to buy a complete new Deuce (thankfully sub $300) when they could simply purchase a SuperTigre .18 for $99.99 and run it with the stock Vegas pipe? Perhaps it will run like a bat out of hell...maybe not...Perhaps we have one less IMPBA member....

To ALL, Let's say that the SuperTigre .18 doesn't run worth a hoot with the original Vegas' pipe and header. As the interim rules are stated, the the engine may be swapped...However, the pipe and header CANNOT be changed. Again, we have one less potential racer and potential IMPBA member.

On the other side of the coin, we have the owner of the new Vegas Deuce. This individual is also the owner of an older Vegas hull with an AQ .18 and pipe. Why couldn't this potential racer utilise the AQ .18 with the Q-pipe? Food for thought.....?

Aside from all of that (sorry for dragging this on), I certainly would like to vote on or discuss the rules concerning the mill...

Just let me point out a couple more things here. I'm really glad this has been a good discussion with good points being made and hasn't turned into an argument.

First point is that you won't be able to change the motor for $99. As you stated the pipe must be changed also. So now you need a pipe and an engine, Oh and a header with a coupler. By the time you pay some shipping or tax, your up to around half the price of a new boat.

Second point is that the original Vegas will have been out of production for nearly 2 years by the time next season starts. How much longer will they be around to resurrect?

Think of what your rules should be for the next few years instead of dwelling on what you have right now. This will be a constantly evolving event due to what the manufacturers put out there for sale. Remember the RTR part.

Thanks for reading, Mike

I don't have a problem with someone using there older AQ 18 in a new deuce hull but to remain stock, I think they should have to run pipe that was used on that motor originally. That way there are no arguments over well that pipe just works better on that motor,etc. Make it manufacturer specific and powerplant specific. Be a whole lot easier to police and make it fair to everyone. Some people don't have access to the older parts. My two cents. Otherwise I think the rules are perfect. Thanks for your time and effort everyone with special thanks to Jeff.

I don't have a problem with someone using there older AQ 18 in a new deuce hull but to remain stock, I think they should have to run pipe that was used on that motor originally. That way there are no arguments over well that pipe just works better on that motor,etc. Make it manufacturer specific and powerplant specific. Be a whole lot easier to police and make it fair to everyone. Some people don't have access to the older parts. My two cents. Otherwise I think the rules are perfect. Thanks for your time and effort everyone with special thanks to Jeff.

I agree with the no carb change and you can swap the engines like the Aqu 18 in a deuce, but I see a problem with the pipe if you can't swap them, let's say those with Aqu. 18 in Deuces have the Qpipe but if you make it to where that pipe has to be with the ST, what if those people have sold or tossed out the aqu pipe and from what I see they are discontinued as well, those that want to run the aqua are just out of luck or forced to run the ST to run the Qpipe.

I don't know if they help the Aqua.18 perform any better or not but I rather not have to go back to a loud pipe to run an Aqu.18. The pipe is an impovment from the old one I don't see it as a advantage over the other. The old engines are become less used or upgraded to the ST but to find the pipe to the Aqua.18 going to be hard to come by just as the motor is now.

I would say you can change the pipe so long as it was offered to that boat at one time, no aftermarket or fabercated which leaves you only two pipes so that those with the old engine can chose to stay with the old pipe or just upgrade to the Qpipe. That just my thoughts.

From all the testing ive done the new pipe is quieter and thats it ...............

It was just a thought, doesn't affect me regardless as I have no AQ 18's or pipes for that matter :p Gonna be a lot of fun next year and a lot of competition in this class :ph34r: , gonna be a long cold winter :(

It was just a thought, doesn't affect me regardless as I have no AQ 18's or pipes for that matter :p Gonna be a lot of fun next year and a lot of competition in this class :ph34r: , gonna be a long cold winter :(
Reo Saturday?
Sorry, 1 year anniversary. on lockdown that day. Maybe after work day next saturday? Should have the new truck ready by then.

I dont see a problem interchanging pipes as long as it went with the Aqua-18 or the Super Tigre, no others, but absolutely no interchanging carbs. The carbs come with the motor, I believe that would fall under modifications.

I dont see a problem interchanging pipes as long as it went with the Aqua-18 or the Super Tigre, no others, but absolutely no interchanging carbs. The carbs come with the motor, I believe that would fall under modifications.
AND THAT IS EXCACTLY WHAT I DID....Sorry...don't mean to yell but I ordered the Duece pipe for my older Vegas to keep the noise down at the pond to not disturb the neighbors. I am very pleased with the pipe and I think it should be allowed as a STOCK RTR replacement cause you can't get the original loud pipe anymore.........

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree that the Q-18 pipe should be allowed on all boats, but 70% of people voted for No pipe modifications allowed. That means you must run the pipe that came with the hull, and you may not modify it, cut it, drill it, shorten it at all.

Only 20% of people voted for: You may use any tuned pipe that is original equipment for any legal boat. You may modify the pipe by removing material only.

Maybe the modifying part scared people away from this option. I was intending that people would allow shortening the pipe by cutting it, but keep the rules from allowing someone from modifying a stock pipe by cutting it in half and welding in a new convergent cone. If there is a loophole, someone will try it.

I had to cut my AQ pipe because the end of it got wadded up due to vibration. I switched to a Q-18 pipe because it is much quieter. If I can't get a new AQ pipe, I will have to retire the Vegas because I won't be able to comply with the rules.

I agree that the Q-18 pipe should be allowed on all boats, but 70% of people voted for No pipe modifications allowed. That means you must run the pipe that came with the hull, and you may not modify it, cut it, drill it, shorten it at all.

Only 20% of people voted for: You may use any tuned pipe that is original equipment for any legal boat. You may modify the pipe by removing material only.

Maybe the modifying part scared people away from this option. I was intending that people would allow shortening the pipe by cutting it, but keep the rules from allowing someone from modifying a stock pipe by cutting it in half and welding in a new convergent cone. If there is a loophole, someone will try it.

I had to cut my AQ pipe because the end of it got wadded up due to vibration. I switched to a Q-18 pipe because it is much quieter. If I can't get a new AQ pipe, I will have to retire the Vegas because I won't be able to comply with the rules.
Well I have 4 of those pipes now....I got a setup off of Ebay from a guy who was proly converting his Vegas to electric; an engine, header, pipe and fuel tank. I replaced the pipe in my first SV and my new SV that replaced the one that sunk from an accident as well....which I believe is the same....was thinking bout tossing them, but now I will keep em.....

Jeff, I truly think if you can no longer get the original pipe that came with it, then the next stock option should be the ONLY option, not retire it just because. Lets put that rule back into vote. When it came to pipe rules, All I wanted to make sure was that nobody was using nothing but the AQ-18 pipe or the quiet pipe from Super Tigre, I DO NOT AGREE WITH SOMEONE HAVING TO GO BUY A NEW BOAT OVER A PIPE. COME ON RACERS, ARE WE REALLY GONNA BE THAT PICKY AS LONG AS ITS A STOCK PIPE????

I thought that I brought that part up earlier. The original vote should have been whether to allow aftermarket pipes or not. I think this is a BIG issue for some, Then another vote should have addressed the modification issue. I should have brought this up when the poll was first presented. I don't remember how I ended up voting...I think I went with the banning of aftermarket pipes, while at the same time I wanted to allow swapping legal hull/manufacturer pipes...

Jeff, I truly think if you can no longer get the original pipe that came with it, then the next stock option should be the ONLY option, not retire it just because. Lets put that rule back into vote. When it came to pipe rules, All I wanted to make sure was that nobody was using nothing but the AQ-18 pipe or the quiet pipe from Super Tigre, I DO NOT AGREE WITH SOMEONE HAVING TO GO BUY A NEW BOAT OVER A PIPE. COME ON RACERS, ARE WE REALLY GONNA BE THAT PICKY AS LONG AS ITS A STOCK PIPE????
I agree.....TOTALLY and you took the words right outta my mouth....A NEW VOTE... The Q 18 aint no modified pipe....it is the new replacement......and it resides happily in my older Vegas and I have no desire to reinstall the older one....even for racing unless forced to.....

I agree.....TOTALLY and you took the words right outta my mouth....A NEW VOTE... The Q 18 aint no modified pipe....it is the new replacement......and it resides happily in my older Vegas and I have no desire to reinstall the older one....even for racing unless forced to.....

I thought that I brought that part up earlier. The original vote should have been whether to allow aftermarket pipes or not. I think this is a BIG issue for some, Then another vote should have addressed the modification issue. I should have brought this up when the poll was first presented. I don't remember how I ended up voting...I think I went with the banning of aftermarket pipes, while at the same time I wanted to allow swapping legal hull/manufacturer pipes...
I agree with Tim TOTALLY, AFTERMARKET PIPES was the issue, NO AFTER MARKETS!!! The Q-18 is a direct replacement to what is no longer available. Those should be allowed AS LONG AS there is no modification done to that pipe.

I have to agree, but how I see it the vote says no modifiying, and the idea is must use pipe the boat came with. Well the Vegas boat is still the same boat aquacraft just improved on it. So I see it as you can use the pipes the "Miss Vegas" came with which happens to be two options. The vote to not modify was not cutting, drilling or modified pipes that's why people voted that. But if this is going to be that critical then it needs a new vote. It be disappointing to have to shelf my RTR over a pipe that came with that boat. Anyone would agree the Q pipe is just better to use cause it quiets the engine.

Back