RTR 18 HYDROPLANE (DISTRICT 14) RULES

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
^^^^^See above ^^^^^

Good job Jeff!

Tim Strange voted...added to discussion at the IMPBA forum...anyone can view this at IMPBA.net without being a member BTW...

Last edited by a moderator:
Voted 2nd round. Just a thought, If this is for Dist 14 rules, then shouldnt ONLY Dist 14 people be voting?? Not saying others cant comment on this but I dont think others outside this Dist should be able to count in the outcome of the results. Same thing as IMPBA voting, you vote in the matters that pertain to your Dist. I see two votes from OUTSIDE Dist 14. Just my 2cents.

This poll is open to all that intend to race RTR in District 14 during 2010.

I am really happy with the input so far. The reason we need to do this polling with such detailed rules, is to keep the competition fair, and keep the box stock products competitive.

I have been doing some R&D with an RC car. I have never raced an RC car, so I bought a Traxxas Slash 2wd. This runs in a stock class at a local track I had never been to. I went to the track, talked to the people, bought the truck, practiced it, and raced it the next day. I got last place. They do not have any rules posted for their class. The truck costs $240 RTR, and the fast guys that are winning are racing $200 kits with high end motors and ESC's, aftermarket tires, high end shocks, and I'm sure there is some unknown modding that a newbie (like me) have no idea about. Of course they are also VERY good drivers. I still had fun racing my truck, and I will be back, but I felt like I was way behind.

I think that our rules will allow an absolutely new boater and even better experience. That is the goal, hide nothing, and make this class easy for a new boater to be competitve in. Tell them what modifications are allowed. People want to modify their stuff. I want to modify my truck.

This is going to work!

This poll is open to all that intend to race RTR in District 14 during 2010.

I am really happy with the input so far. The reason we need to do this polling with such detailed rules, is to keep the competition fair, and keep the box stock products competitive.

I have been doing some R&D with an RC car. I have never raced an RC car, so I bought a Traxxas Slash 2wd. This runs in a stock class at a local track I had never been to. I went to the track, talked to the people, bought the truck, practiced it, and raced it the next day. I got last place. They do not have any rules posted for their class. The truck costs $240 RTR, and the fast guys that are winning are racing $200 kits with high end motors and ESC's, aftermarket tires, high end shocks, and I'm sure there is some unknown modding that a newbie (like me) have no idea about. Of course they are also VERY good drivers. I still had fun racing my truck, and I will be back, but I felt like I was way behind.

I think that our rules will allow an absolutely new boater and even better experience. That is the goal, hide nothing, and make this class easy for a new boater to be competitve in. Tell them what modifications are allowed. People want to modify their stuff. I want to modify my truck.

This is going to work!
gotcha, all good!! ;) ;)

I fail to see where allowing engine changes is going to help an inexperienced beginner? Beginners need a class to start out in with a boat they can buy Ready To Run. Not Ready To Modify. (they need enough of that already) I have no problem with changing some parts but changing the engine is sort of like comparing a change of shoes to a heart transplant. I'm just sayin'........

Mike

Mike all an engine swap will do is allow a St into a older Deuce and vise versa. If you own a older boat no more engines are available new from the distributor unless you upgrade or buy a new boat. Make sense? Mike

You also gotta look at it from the standpoint that if another manufacturer releases a boat with a superior engine, then everyone with money buys that boat leaving the beginners behind. This way the boat that has already been purchased can be made competitive again with just an engine. If a beginner can't change out an engine, they are probaby in over there head to begin with. But on the other hand, with the pipe vote, changing engine may not be ideal if you can't use pipe designed for the engine you are wanting to install. Lots to think about.

Mike all an engine swap will do is allow a St into a older Deuce and vise versa. If you own a older boat no more engines are available new from the distributor unless you upgrade or buy a new boat. Make sense? Mike
Mike, Yes, it does make sense. But I would question the vice-versa part. Mike

You also gotta look at it from the standpoint that if another manufacturer releases a boat with a superior engine, then everyone with money buys that boat leaving the beginners behind. This way the boat that has already been purchased can be made competitive again with just an engine. If a beginner can't change out an engine, they are probaby in over there head to begin with. But on the other hand, with the pipe vote, changing engine may not be ideal if you can't use pipe designed for the engine you are wanting to install. Lots to think about.
Jeremy, All good things to keep in mind. My main interest in being involved in this discussion is in the fact that not one single newbie will get to vote on the rules we make. They're still out there looking at Tower catalogs somewhere. Remember it is an RTR event, meaning it will always be mostly at the whim of the manufacturers. Who by the way, sell there boats to make money first and any other reasons are somewhere down the list. I hope I have given those who haven't voted something to think about. Now we just need to see how the vote turns out and it is what it is.

Thanks, Mike

Thank You all voting has closed.

OPT-02 has passed with a vote of 12-7. You may replace the engine with a glow engine up to 0.189 cubic inches (3.0 cc) that is or was original equipment from a legal boat made by the same manufacturer.

OPT-04 has passed with a vote of 17-2-0 You may use any flywheel or backplate. votes: 17-2-0

OPT-05 has passed with a vote of 10-9. Races will be 5 laps.

OPT-06 has passed with a vote of 14-5. The half mill will be allowed.

RTR 18 HYDROPLANE RULES OF COMPETITION

Abstract: The purpose of this document is to classify the rules for Specialty Class “RTR 18 HYDROPLANE” in District 14 IMPBA

1 Intent

1.1 The intent of this class is to provide an attractive class of racing to foster new membership to the model boating community. This is accomplished by providing a place for new boaters to experience the hobby of model boating, yet be an attractive class to even the most seasoned racer. This intent can be met by making the class both low in cost using readily available high volume production boats and parts, and by specifying rules to maintain class intent. The following sections shall support the intent of this class.

2 Legal Boats

2.1 A legal RTR 18 HYDROPLANE must meet the following criteria:

2.1.1 It must be intended for the R/C hobby market.

2.2.2 It must be available from hobby shops and e-commerce nationwide, or have been available from hobby shops and e-commerce nationwide during or after 2007.

2.1.2 The boat/engine/radio system must be available as a ready to run package retailing for a maximum of $ 400.

2.1.3 The boat as designed must use nitro power not to exceed 0.189 cubic inches (3.0cc).

2.1.4 The hull must be a full-body hydroplane with rear wings, at least 25 inches in length and no more than 33 inches in length.

2.1.5 It cannot resemble outrigger hydroplanes, tunnel hulls or catamarans.

3 Allowable modifications

3.1 You may change parts, and or modify a legal boat to increase reliability, improve drivability, or to make your boat unique, ONLY if the modification is listed below.

3.1.1 You may paint and decal your boat however you wish - in fact, we encourage it! (No profanity or other disparaging remarks)

3.1.2 You may modify or replace the cowling to effect air flow to the engine compartment, or to suit a different look.

3.1.3 You may use any control equipment including any radio box, electronics, linkages, and battery may be used, as long as placement is not deemed advantages towards the Center of Gravity of the hull.

3.1.4 You may replace the engine with a glow engine up to 0.189 cubic inches (3.0 cc) that is or was original equipment from a legal boat made by the same manufacturer.

3.1.6 You may use any flywheel or backplate. Belt starting is allowed.

3.1.6 You may use any glow plug.

3.1.7 You may use any glow fuel (for example, with any nitro percentage).

3.1.8 You may use any turn fin, any rudder, and any brackets to support them. You may sharpen and polish all hardware.

3.1.9 You may change any silicone part, such as the fuel line or pipe coupler.

3.1.10 You may modify or replace the fuel tank with any tank.

3.1.11 Weight may be added to balance or stabilize the hull.

4 Illegal Modifications

4.1 You may NOT perform any of the following modifications.

4.1.1 You may NOT modify the engine. You must use the carburetor that comes with the engine. You may not modify the carburetor.

4.1.2 You may NOT modify the hull or remove detail parts. Repairs and preventative bracing are ok so long as they are not deemed to enhance performance.

4.1.3 You may NOT run without rear wings.

4.1.4 Additional wings, spoilers, air dams, or fins if deemed to stabilize the boat at speed are NOT allowed.

4.1.5 You may NOT use a 3rd channel fuel mixture adjustment.

4.1.6 You may NOT change, or modify the tuned pipe.

5 Specialized racing rules

5.1 Milling Procedure - In the effort to help group boats together on the start, and conserve fuel, the Half-Mill course will be allowed.

5.1.1 You must complete a full out lap from the pits. Then, if you wish, you may cut the course from buoy 6 to buoy 1 from the front stretch to back stretch only.

5.1.2 You must yield the right of way when cutting the course to any boat that has the chute.

5.1.3 You may NOT cut into the course in the last 5 seconds of clock time.

5.2 Races shall consist of 5 lap heats.

6 Rules Enforcement

6.1 The Contest Director for an event is ultimately responsible for enforcing these rules.

REVISIONS

A) 10/25/2010

WAS:

Class: SPORT RTR 18

2.1.4 The hull must be a 3 point suspension hull, at least 25 inches in length and no more than 33 inches in length.

2.1.5 The hull must be a full body hydroplane

REVISED TO:

Class : RTR 18 HYDROPLANE

2.1.4 The hull must be a full-body hydroplane with rear wings, at least 25 inches in length and no more than 33 inches in length.

2.1.5 (DELETED) (Numbering Updated)

Jeff, you may want to require a pipe and header change if the engine is changed. If you don't you could end up with a ST with an old Aqua header and pipe. Don't know if it would be an advantage or not but it may be a good idea to lock it down so the issue doesn't come up. By the way, great job on defining the RTR rules. Hopefully IMPBA will adopt them and then other clubs around the country. Then we will truly have a low cost class that new and old can enjoy. Bill Wachtler

I agree with Bill. Perhaps adding "or pipe" to section 3.1.4? To read: 3.1.4 You may replace the engine with a glow engine up to 0.189 cubic inches (3.0 cc) OR PIPE that is or was original equipment from a legal boat made by the same manufacturer.

Tim S.

xxxxpicxxxx

Two things..

When you get this hammered out we will place the rules on the AquaCraft website..

And.. Jeff Schindler for President :)

Grim

I agree with Bill. Perhaps adding "or pipe" to section 3.1.4? To read: 3.1.4 You may replace the engine with a glow engine up to 0.189 cubic inches (3.0 cc) OR PIPE that is or was original equipment from a legal boat made by the same manufacturer.

Tim S.
I saw that also when I was reading the rules. If we allow an AQ motor w/ a ST pipe or visa-versa, what about an AQ motor with a ST carb?

They are from the same manufacturer.

DonB

I say no to carb changes. Engine should be run STOCK and as far as pipe goes, that will get hairy with the engine and pipe being voted separately. Just make rule where person has to run pipe that was stock on the motor they are using per manufacturer build of hull.

I say no to carb changes. Engine should be run STOCK and as far as pipe goes, that will get hairy with the engine and pipe being voted separately. Just make rule where person has to run pipe that was stock on the motor they are using per manufacturer build of hull.
I don't see an issue with running the Q-pipe on the AQ-18...it's not a mod to the motor...it's a change of pipe. The original voting options included choices for using stock pipe only, modifying the pipe (remove material), and the use of other manufacturer's pipes (something to that effect). There was no option to use any pipe from the original manufacturer...which would allow AQ-18 & Q-pipe or ST-18 & AQ-pipe. Which is how I would have voted...

Afterthought: after thinking about it, there may have been an option for any original manufacturer pipe...but it had something about removing material...(?)

Don, here's your answer: 4.1.1 You may NOT modify the engine. You must use the carburetor that comes with the engine. You may not modify the carburetor.

BTW Thanks for doing this Jeff!

Wearing my chairperson hat,

I am happy with the rules as is, but we have time to make some adjustments if we really want to.

We voted on rules using generic terms to make competition fair, without specifying manufacturers' part numbers.

We could shy away from that and Spec legal part numbers.

The P-spec rules for District 12 spec the SKU's you can use. They are here - http://www.intlwaters.com/index.php?showtopic=38586

We could spec the important stuff, and say mix and match as you wish, but you cannot modify.

Wearing my racer hat,

I have to change my boat to make it legal, why I cannot say:D , but I'm fine with the way things are. Might have to get me one of them new generation boats, with the quiet pipes.

Back