Pics from 2016 Winter Nitro Champs in FL

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yup, that's my 40 Betke boat, ended up 2nd over all behind Sam. Made it to the finals with the little 20 Betke boat as well. I'm running hollow 3/8 carbon boom stock with another hollow carbon tube glued inside. Very rigid but I have a little slop in the tub mount for the booms that I need to fix.

Thanks, John

Thanks for all the compliments guys! I had a great time at the race and meeting the racers!
default_cool.png

For those who liked the boat pics, I have some shots from the 2015 NAMBA Nats (nitro and gas) in California:

https://flic.kr/s/aHskcGSTZm

and for a taste of Australian racing (nitro, gas and electric) from Sydney in 2015:

https://flic.kr/s/aHski76Xzw

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow Ian!!..great shots!! Just before the second round of B-hydro I decided to replace the stub shaft bushing with a new one. Turns out I didn't tighten the collet enough, and it cost me big!!!...the whole shaft & prop assembly came a fly'n off the back of the boat, about the third lap into the race., BIG TIME BUMER!! Amazingly enough in one of your shots the timing was so perfect, you actually can see the shaft assembly on its way out, way cool! Could be seen on page 4 just a little past a quarter of the way down, will be the left picture just below the full screen shot of the boat "red & blue boat".

Thanks Ian, really enjoyed those.

Elias
Elias, Thank you! I did notice that shot, I didn't know it was your boat. The shaft came out very fast, the frame I have before that one is taken only 1/7th of a second before and the prop is in place!

I'm guessing everyone who is using fiberglass and carbonfiber boom tubes will have some changes coming with their riggers in the near future after seeing the lead picture in this topic.................

Dick Tyndall
Certainly the installed stiffness of many fiberglass and carbon fibre boom setups is not as high! Alloy booms still flex tho:

https://flic.kr/p/CWJLjK

Yup, that's my 40 Betke boat, ended up 2nd over all behind Sam. Made it to the finals with the little 20 Betke boat as well. I'm running hollow 3/8 carbon boom stock with another hollow carbon tube glued inside. Very rigid but I have a little slop in the tub mount for the booms that I need to fix.

Thanks, John

Thanks. Didn't thin CF booms would flex that much. Amazing the things you see when the shots are of such quality!

What kind of surprises me is there was only two or three scale boats. I would have figured at least six would be there

There were more scale boats, I wasn't able to photograph all boats or races! I got plenty of shots of scale boats in the other galleries linked above!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Thanks, John

Thanks. Didn't thin CF booms would flex that much. Amazing the things you see when the shots are of such quality!
Hi Terry,

There is a lot going on between water hitting the wall (inside of the turn fin) etc. so I'm not surprised at what we see. The big thing is how fast can you get through the corner. That's where the next big jump in times will come, I think the new high rake props will have a big impact on that. But that's only me.

John

John, I think some factors in boat design can improve corner speed as well. The shot Terry posted not only shows the deflection of sponson booms changing sponson and turn fin angles from where they are set to, but also notice the direction that the boat is pointed vs the direction that the wakes show it is actually travelling in!

I would like to add my thanks for the awesome pics too, especially of my scale boat. LOL

Good to meet you, hope we meet up again someday.

Olly

The photos are fantastic Ian, I have never seen R/C boating pics with this level of detail and closeup. Thanks

Bob

All of this boom and tub flexing may not be a bad thing. Never known a great handling race car to have hard mounted axles!

Even Top Fuel cars with hard mounted rear axles depend on chassis and tire flex to perform correctly.

Andy, the boom flex can be a bad thing! Years ago I had an X hydro that would fly off the water on the exit of a turn. The boom flex allowed a lot of sponson angle change, when I made a stiffer boom setup the boat was much better and that problem simply disappeared!

Back