PAINT ??

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

waterbug

I'm using an automotive Acrylic Enamel Paint Kit ( 4 qt.= gl.) over a good two part primer.... Will the acrylic enamel two part clearcoat protect good enough or should I use urethane clear ??

I'm just painting over gelcoat and just the tunnel center nose section and cowl....

Butch

Last edited by a moderator:
Butch,

I do not believe that the enamel will hold up to the nitro. Best plan on clear coating with urethane.

I'm using an automotive Acrylic Enamel Paint Kit ( 4 qt.= gl.) over a good two part primer.... Will the acrylic enamel two part clearcoat protect good enough or should I use urethane clear ??

I'm just painting over gelcoat and just the tunnel center nose section and cowl....

Butch
If you are painting a tunnel hull and acrilic enamel is what you've got laying around, I'd say OK. A tunnel does not get exposed to nitro like inboard boats. But if you want to do it right and not have to worry about it, use the urethane clear that is recomended for the base coat. Even urethane is not "nitro proof" but it is the best available.

I worked at a body shop years ago to help out a close friend, we did test panels

to see what the minimum protection paint would be with nitro spill and wipe-up.

Acrylic urethane showed to be the one,,acrylic enamel was right next to it and

suffered a "foggy" look . Fuel used for splash test was Sidewinder 45% nitro.

Note:we were using PPG paints only

Real world experience with PPG MAE (acrylic enamel) on a 40 rigger running up to 60% nitro tells me that it works with little to no ill effects from the nitro. I even had a few spills where a gas tank siphoned out and the whole bottom of the boat got drenched from my wheep holes to the transon. It just wiped off with the paint still shinning.

I wouldn't let the boat sit in nitro all day long but with reasonable care it is a problem free finish.

Do let it dry at least a week at temperatures above 60F before running it.

Thank's Guys !!!

The paint kit is made by BASF...Limco and it was a good deal !!

Butch

Back