Duplicolor Paintshop

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobertDoak

Hello guys...
Just finished a paint job using the product mentioned in the title...
It's a lacquer based product and in my opinion rather expensive for what you get...non the less I gave it a shot..
Now I know a lot of people will com.ent about the lacquer base....and "it's not a urethane" product...well look guys...lacquer has been around for what 60+years painting cars without any issues..I'm not going to give a painting history lesson....but yes lacquer is fuel proof....
I chose the duplicolor Primer....then Burnt Orange metallic and the clear coat..overall the product does what it says....no reducing is necessary, out of the can its ready to go...
Would I recommend the product...not really....there are way to many other methods of finishing products ot there and at a overall better cost...heck even a single step urethane paint is cheaper than the duplicolor paintshop system..but it is something different...I was tought painting with lacquer and at the time was really simple...but times change and for the better....I will attach a pic andvideo....

Attachments

• Resized_20220405_084635.jpeg
    Resized_20220405_084635.jpeg
    849.7 KB · Views: 23
  • 20220406_154854.jpg
    20220406_154854.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 24
  • 20220406_154905.jpg
    20220406_154905.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 21
Hello guys...
Just finished a paint job using the product mentioned in the title...
It's a lacquer based product and in my opinion rather expensive for what you get...non the less I gave it a shot..
Now I know a lot of people will com.ent about the lacquer base....and "it's not a urethane" product...well look guys...lacquer has been around for what 60+years painting cars without any issues..I'm not going to give a painting history lesson....but yes lacquer is fuel proof....
I chose the duplicolor Primer....then Burnt Orange metallic and the clear coat..overall the product does what it says....no reducing is necessary, out of the can its ready to go...
Would I recommend the product...not really....there are way to many other methods of finishing products ot there and at a overall better cost...heck even a single step urethane paint is cheaper than the duplicolor paintshop system..but it is something different...I was tought painting with lacquer and at the time was really simple...but times change and for the better....I will attach a pic andvideo....

FUEL proof??? You might want to test that!

FUEL proof??? You might want to test that!
Well lacquer paint has been fuel proof on cars for like 60+ years in the past when it was being used then...and when I sprayed it in the late 70's..but not much resists brake fluid...and the amount of fuel a RC boat uses plus its mixed with oil.....yes....fuel proof...you can bath urethane paint in fuel and eventually it will react with the paint...

Well lacquer paint has been fuel proof on cars for like 60+ years in the past when it was being used then...and when I sprayed it in the late 70's..but not much resists brake fluid...and the amount of fuel a RC boat uses plus its mixed with oil.....yes....fuel proof...you can bath urethane paint in fuel and eventually it will react with the paint...
Fuelproof?
Nope.
I've had splashes of high octane race gas spot top of the line lacquer paint in the past on street rods I had. And lacquer absolutely will not stand up to high nitro exposure. Also ANY basecoat/clearcoat system be it urethane, lacquer or what ever is only as good as the clearcoat. Not to mention if the clearcoat gets scratched deep enough or otherwise exposes basecoat to fuel or oils it's game over. Just ask anyone who drilled their drain holes after painting and watched the paint lift from the drain hole on as fuel and oils attacked the basecoat. This is why I only shoot single stage urethane paint (unless the color is only available in a base system like the HOK purple on a Smokin' Joe's scale), expensive as hell but it lasts and only after every hardware and/or drain hole is drilled.......

Nice post Robert. I wonder how Duplicolor in the spray cans would hold up to Spraymax 2k clear? For instance, if you put the primer and the color down, wait a few days, wet sand, and then spray the 2k? I’m working on a project that uses specific automotive colors, ie Gm Autumn Maple Metallic (kind of a metallic burgundy) and this color is available in their spray can line…

Rich...I have not personally tried 2k over lacquer base....but have read both good and negative results....I need to do a test myself on that....
Also...after a week of drying....I'm going to do a test with gasoline on my freshly painted cat...I will pour pure gas on the paint to see the reaction...now keep in mind...I will replicate what will typically happen at a gas pump filling station...fuel spilled and then wiped off....I'm not stupid enough to bath a painted surface with fuel and let it sit for hours...stay tuned for that....should be interesting...

Back