Nova 46...good info to know

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Friends I just got done measuring the timing numbers on the production motors...these number run really good!

- bore .816

- stroke .867

- ave exhaust timing 186 (main exhaust port 189 and exhaust boosters 183)

- boost 132

- transfer 135

- crank open 211 ATDC

- crank close 69 ATDC

- total intake duration 217

After I tested each of the protype motors I sent them to Martin Truex to run...Some lessons we have learned during testing:

- Tank needs to have 5/32 tubing. I simply could not get my boat to run more than a few laps with the 1/8" tubing in my tank. It would run strong and then just quit.

- These motors need a nice long break-in. I tried to "go fast" before it was completely broken in and it just acted weird...after about 20 oz of fuel through it on the bench it settled down and acted PERFECT.

- I don't recommend very low oil fuels and I DO recommend some castor in the fuel.

- The motors do not need much water cooling (both Martin and I ran them most of the time without even hooking up the waterline). They really need to get up to temp to get the P/S fit right and burn the fuel.

- We found as Martin was running the first two motors (I gave Martin the green light to modifiy these first prototypes any way he wanted) he actually stuck the pistons. We determing this to be caused by 1) low oil in the fuel (12%), 2) No castor in the fuel, 3) running the motor hard before they were fully broken in (he was trying to get ready for the Huntsville record trial and didn't have much time), 4) running the motor too cool.

On his runs with the last prototype (completely stock...this one is just like the production motors) with a little castor added to the fuel, no water cooling, and after I had finished the break-in, his decription to me on the phone was simply "AWESOME".

Aaron, Martin and I have found these to be the most powerful of all the 45 motors we have run. Great torque and will turn a ton of RPM. (Aaron or Martin, if I have misspoken, please step in and give your accurate findings).

Yes I agree the rear exhaust with the 180 degree header is not as "swoopy" and may not fit as nice in some boats as the front exhaust motors, but I think the performance will make-up for it.

Glenn
Glenn/Guys

these are the timings i got Novarossi to do(everyone might come up with a very slightly different measurement)

Main exhuast should be 189

sud exhaust should be 186

opening on crank 210

closing 69

boost 134

transfer 132

head volume .40cc

carb bore --11mm (.430thou)

regards Aaron

So any one measure the OD of the liner or the wrist pin dia or is this top secret?

Are there any parts available yet? If so the price?

David
David, I just got home from Christmas...

The sleeve OD is .984 and wrist pin is about .213 (I don't have an actual pin to measure...just checing the ID on the wrist pin hole in the piston).

GQ
Thanks Glen figured you where with the family this time of year.

WOW that thing will slide right in a CMB 45 case and the pin is just a bit larger than a CMB 45.

OLD 666 is drooling as we speak.

When can we get parts?

David
David,

No disrespect!

Why waste your time? i thought your rs45 was running really good!

if you dont like the wrap around header just stick with what you got!

and the rs45 being around 2mm shorter stroke, you capacity will be under 7cc.

O and dont have a problem what so ever you wanting to do this either.

regards Aaron
Yes Aaron "NO DISRESPECT"

Why worry about what I am doing?

So I guess using a CMB P/L in a PICO is disrespectfully? :huh:

David
David

as stated you can do what you like!

just letting you know your going to drop your capacity down to 6.81cc

good luck

regards Aaron
Aaron

I know it will be a little small. But that liner is a piece of art work.

Just have to see what it will do in a disk intake Eng. with a custom short pipe with the taper from the start no header.

With the long light rod and and short stroke it should scream. Do you have any RPM info on this eng in testing?

Don't know if you don't try.

The BS stops when the prop hits the water.

David
David

no real rpm's to give you, but this set up in my boat with 1657 cut down to 56mm, 4.75in cup has seen best 92mph(in video posted on page 2) with average from 88-90mph,

But i can tell you right now you need a lot of rpm's with that prop to run them speeds.

let us know how you go!

regards Aaron

So any one measure the OD of the liner or the wrist pin dia or is this top secret?

Are there any parts available yet? If so the price?

David
David, I just got home from Christmas...

The sleeve OD is .984 and wrist pin is about .213 (I don't have an actual pin to measure...just checing the ID on the wrist pin hole in the piston).

GQ
Thanks Glen figured you where with the family this time of year.

WOW that thing will slide right in a CMB 45 case and the pin is just a bit larger than a CMB 45.

OLD 666 is drooling as we speak.

When can we get parts?

David
David,

No disrespect!

Why waste your time? i thought your rs45 was running really good!

if you dont like the wrap around header just stick with what you got!

and the rs45 being around 2mm shorter stroke, you capacity will be under 7cc.

O and dont have a problem what so ever you wanting to do this either.

regards Aaron
Yes Aaron "NO DISRESPECT"

Why worry about what I am doing?

So I guess using a CMB P/L in a PICO is disrespectfully? :huh:

David
David

as stated you can do what you like!

just letting you know your going to drop your capacity down to 6.81cc

good luck

regards Aaron
Aaron

I know it will be a little small. But that liner is a piece of art work.

Just have to see what it will do in a disk intake Eng. with a custom short pipe with the taper from the start no header.

With the long light rod and and short stroke it should scream. Do you have any RPM info on this eng in testing?

Don't know if you don't try.

The BS stops when the prop hits the water.

David
David

no real rpm's to give you, but this set up in my boat with 1657 cut down to 56mm, 4.75in cup has seen best 92mph(in video posted on page 2) with average from 88-90mph,

But i can tell you right now you need a lot of rpm's with that prop to run them speeds.

let us know how you go!

regards Aaron
Will take at least 30000RPM to run that speed. that is spinning it up all right.

Will be some time till I get to that project.At least till the fall.

This eng is a very nice eng don't get me wrong. For stock out of the box none will touch it.

The RS need lots of loving care to do any thing close to what this eng seams to be able to do stock.

Like I said the sleeve design is far over the top of any of the competition.

David

Larry, I read that Aaron had a couple changes that he was having Nova make to the pipe, so he didnt want to release a picture of the pipe until them. Glenn may have more info on that as well.

Wow, what I nice engine!

I received mine today and while I didn't think it could be any better, I got a nice surprise... The glow plugs are Turbo!

Love it!

Thanks Glenn and Aaron and of course the fine people at Novarossi!

Oh, and it fits pretty nicely in my Phil Thomas Sport 45...

Wow, what I nice engine!

I received mine today and while I didn't think it could be any better, I got a nice surprise... The glow plugs are Turbo!

Love it!

Thanks Glenn and Aaron and of course the fine people at Novarossi!

Oh, and it fits pretty nicely in my Phil Thomas Sport 45...
I can't wait to hear how it runs!

GQ

Ok Just measured Mine up

For the guys who have the Metric version of EAP here are the Numbers

Top Of Liner 2.9mm

Rod Length 37.5mm

Exh ave 14.8mm 187 degrees

Boost 19.6mm 132 degrees

Trans 19.4mm 135 degrees

Rotor Open 23.66mm 211 degrees

Rotor Close 11.3mm 69 degrees

Head Volume .40cc

My head clearence is 0.011 with the shim removed

Greg
Greg

Perfect!!! leave head clearence right there.

Guy's

here is pic of the 46 pipe that myself and Ian

worked with Novarossi on,

Nitro and muffled version.

should have them in stock next couple weeks,

regards Aaron

45 nova nitro pipe.jpg

Nova 46 muffled pipe.jpg

Aaron,

How's the performance compare between the two? We have to run mufflers in our district. I suppose the question is how much performance does the muffled pipe cost?

Aaron,

How's the performance compare between the two? We have to run mufflers in our district. I suppose the question is how much performance does the muffled pipe cost?
Hey Brian

the muffled version has no baffles in it, its straight through,

we also have to run mufflers on our boats in OZ.

there is only approx $15 difference between muffled and non-muffled.

regards Aaron

Back