Nova 46...good info to know

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glenn Quarles

Supporting Member
Friends I just got done measuring the timing numbers on the production motors...these number run really good!

- bore .816

- stroke .867

- ave exhaust timing 186 (main exhaust port 189 and exhaust boosters 183)

- boost 132

- transfer 135

- crank open 211 ATDC

- crank close 69 ATDC

- total intake duration 217

After I tested each of the protype motors I sent them to Martin Truex to run...Some lessons we have learned during testing:

- Tank needs to have 5/32 tubing. I simply could not get my boat to run more than a few laps with the 1/8" tubing in my tank. It would run strong and then just quit.

- These motors need a nice long break-in. I tried to "go fast" before it was completely broken in and it just acted weird...after about 20 oz of fuel through it on the bench it settled down and acted PERFECT.

- I don't recommend very low oil fuels and I DO recommend some castor in the fuel.

- The motors do not need much water cooling (both Martin and I ran them most of the time without even hooking up the waterline). They really need to get up to temp to get the P/S fit right and burn the fuel.

- We found as Martin was running the first two motors (I gave Martin the green light to modifiy these first prototypes any way he wanted) he actually stuck the pistons. We determing this to be caused by 1) low oil in the fuel (12%), 2) No castor in the fuel, 3) running the motor hard before they were fully broken in (he was trying to get ready for the Huntsville record trial and didn't have much time), 4) running the motor too cool.

On his runs with the last prototype (completely stock...this one is just like the production motors) with a little castor added to the fuel, no water cooling, and after I had finished the break-in, his decription to me on the phone was simply "AWESOME".

Aaron, Martin and I have found these to be the most powerful of all the 45 motors we have run. Great torque and will turn a ton of RPM. (Aaron or Martin, if I have misspoken, please step in and give your accurate findings).

Yes I agree the rear exhaust with the 180 degree header is not as "swoopy" and may not fit as nice in some boats as the front exhaust motors, but I think the performance will make-up for it.

Glenn

I'm already excited and I won't be able to run mine till late Spring I guess it will give me plenty of time to decide which boat to put it in. :D

Thanks for the info Glenn!

I wonder how the Grimracer fuel will do.... While it has no castor, it has 23% synthetic oil....

Thanks for the info Glenn!

I wonder how the Grimracer fuel will do.... While it has no castor, it has 23% synthetic oil....
I would think it will be fine. This motor uses the same metal that the .21 motors use...it is not going to be real picky. We just happen to hit on a combination it didn't like...tight fit, running cold, running hard and very low oil.

GQ

I would like to comment on oil here. I have used the GR fuel and it works. But with all of my 2 stroke methanol and nitro experience. Both full size and are nitro engines. I have seen more harm done to engines from a total synthetic blend than from a blend with castor. The reason is the synthetic oil burns away much easier than the castor.

Mark

Good Info Glenn, FAST Piston speeds even on a Rich setting is Dangerous, Pinching the needle to Make engine heat is also.........

Piston speed and volumetric efficiency are hand and hand this is translated into the torque curve of the Eng and controlled by the stroke.

Pushing a Eng over this to get that last little bit of HP will always end badly.

David

how much of percent nitro did martin and you run? what kind of 45 pipe? what size of props? thanks Allan

Last edited by a moderator:
Friends I just got done measuring the timing numbers on the production motors...these number run really good!

- bore .816

- stroke .867

- ave exhaust timing 186 (main exhaust port 189 and exhaust boosters 183)

- boost 132

- transfer 135

- crank open 211 ATDC

- crank close 69 ATDC

- total intake duration 217

After I tested each of the protype motors I sent them to Martin Truex to run...Some lessons we have learned during testing:

- Tank needs to have 5/32 tubing. I simply could not get my boat to run more than a few laps with the 1/8" tubing in my tank. It would run strong and then just quit.

- These motors need a nice long break-in. I tried to "go fast" before it was completely broken in and it just acted weird...after about 20 oz of fuel through it on the bench it settled down and acted PERFECT.

- I don't recommend very low oil fuels and I DO recommend some castor in the fuel.

- The motors do not need much water cooling (both Martin and I ran them most of the time without even hooking up the waterline). They really need to get up to temp to get the P/S fit right and burn the fuel.

- We found as Martin was running the first two motors (I gave Martin the green light to modifiy these first prototypes any way he wanted) he actually stuck the pistons. We determing this to be caused by 1) low oil in the fuel (12%), 2) No castor in the fuel, 3) running the motor hard before they were fully broken in (he was trying to get ready for the Huntsville record trial and didn't have much time), 4) running the motor too cool.

On his runs with the last prototype (completely stock...this one is just like the production motors) with a little castor added to the fuel, no water cooling, and after I had finished the break-in, his decription to me on the phone was simply "AWESOME".

Aaron, Martin and I have found these to be the most powerful of all the 45 motors we have run. Great torque and will turn a ton of RPM. (Aaron or Martin, if I have misspoken, please step in and give your accurate findings).

Yes I agree the rear exhaust with the 180 degree header is not as "swoopy" and may not fit as nice in some boats as the front exhaust motors, but I think the performance will make-up for it.

Glenn
Glenn/Guys

these are the timings i got Novarossi to do(everyone might come up with a very slightly different measurement)

Main exhuast should be 189

sud exhaust should be 186

opening on crank 210

closing 69

boost 134

transfer 132

head volume .40cc

carb bore --11mm (.430thou)

regards Aaron

Last edited by a moderator:
how much of percent nitro did martin and you run? what kind of 45 pipe? what size of props? thanks Allan
Allan

I ran 60% all the time i have 5 novarossi's 46 i have been testing over the last 6 months,

Pipe mmmm the NEW 45 pipe myself and Ian help Novarossi design is pretty awesome!!!

I will have these soon as my order arrive's(any day)

Prop- you cant go past 1657 mod, but everyone is different!!!

regards Aaron

Guy's

as Glenn as stated!!!

these motors have to make HEAT!!!! cant make this anymore clear!

Take your time to run them in!!!!

Over last 6 months i have tested 5 of these motors for Novarossi,

i even had this motor screaming down the front straight at 90mph then leaned the needle untill motor would flat out stop

just to see if i could break it, no luck( nothing is ever bullet proof) touch wood lol...

Yes i run 3% castor in my mix and never have stuck a piston!!!

have run a lot of fuel through Novarossi 7.5cc motors and already won state championship and performance just outstanding

anyone feel free to email me at

[email protected]

or call me on 0423 299 082

any questions

here is video of Novarossi 46 in testing 90mph+

regards Aaron

Allan

I ran 60% all the time i have 5 novarossi's 46 i have been testing over the last 6 months,

Pipe mmmm the NEW 45 pipe myself and Ian help Novarossi design is pretty awesome!!!

I will have these soon as my order arrive's(any day)

Prop- you cant go past 1657 mod, but everyone is different!!!

regards Aaron
Hi Aaron Can show picture of your new 45 pipe? price? thanks

Back