Nova 45 in Sport 40

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interesting, Alex had his choice this year to run a CMB vac,a picco blackhead or the Nova DD. He likes the sport 40 with the Nova and it is spinning a 1455 2 blade. It will also push a x450, a prather 235 and a abc prop that I cannot remember the numbers on. we tried a few different carbs and the stock on sounds rich going to the water. but it launches well and cleans up consistently with a little heat. It is a Phil Thomas hull with a tyndal fin. Here in the mid west, its how slow can you go until the start, and you better be able to go on command or you will be in traffic. This motor can do that consistently. I feel you need 14 ounces to safely run a heat. This motor likes its fuel. I am in agreement with Sam on the x447/2. I think its a little small and would require a short pipe to be fast, which would most likely make it inconsistent going from milling to racing. My two cents..

Sam,

Way too much pitch ratio for heat racing a Sport 40.

Try the 2015 and I think you will change your mind

with the Octura.

Wayne,

If you are running the Nova 46 we have had good results

with a X-448 or reduced diameter X-450 from Octura.

With the ABC propellers we still like the 2015-19-38% or

the 1915 for higher altitudes.

Thanks For Reading,

Mark Sholund

Last edited by a moderator:
Sam,

Way too much pitch ratio for heat racing a Sport 40.

Try the 2015 and I think you will change your mind

with the Octura.

Wayne,

If you are running the Nova 46 we have had good results

with a X-448 or reduced diameter X-450 from Octura.

With the ABC propellers we still like the 2015-19-38% or

the 1915 for higher altitudes.

Thanks For Reading,

Mark Sholund

What sort of speeds are the abc props delivering I’m curious about them

I was way off on size then. It would be the 2015. I can't read the back of the prop. I couldn't tell any difference between that and the octura.

Wayne,

We are heat racing and only care about lap times.

I am sure they are in the 50's to low 60's in heat race trim.

Thanks,

Mark Sholund

haha, Good point Sam.

I do trust Marks recommendations. Sam and I both know in our district a lot of boats finish the heats so the water gets chopped up. Sam and I as well as some others had issues staying on the water in the later laps even while leading. This year in our group, there are three Peterson hulls. Two that are proven racers and one that will test when we get soft water. Wes's son (Matt), and Grandson (Gavin) are racing the two proven hulls, and Dean Werges will be back in sport 40 with his Peterson hull. Chuck Hildreth, James Ellet, Alex Hildreth and myself are racing Thomas hulls with motors ranging from CMB RS (James, Chuck) Nova DD (Alex), and Myself with a picco blackhead. The smaller prop may be a good idea as the Peterson hulls can go slower than the Thomas hulls with the exception of Chucks, he has an older Thomas hull that will mill with the Peterson hulls. that 448 may give the Thomas hulls a better chance to get lane one. Guess who found one of those hulls over the winter. All of these motors I feel are capable of winning. It is all SET UP SET UP SET UP. Making that hull work for how you drive. It is amazing how a small change can make a boat work better for you. Hopefully, if my health allows. I will be out there with all the names above, changing one thing after another, driving the boys and Wes Crazy, making small changes down to the throw and rate their rudder moves. and forgetting to drive my own boat. lol

"Samuel Hagan JR

World Racer

Members

PipPipPipPipPip

3,161 posts

Posted 16 February 2018 - 04:19 PM

Who counts lap times during a heat race.

Samuel Hagan Jr "

Assuming the boats start at the same time, who ever has the lowest average lap time wins the heat.

"Samuel Hagan JR

World Racer

Members

PipPipPipPipPip

3,161 posts

Posted 16 February 2018 - 04:19 PM

Who counts lap times during a heat race.

Samuel Hagan Jr "

Assuming the boats start at the same time, who ever has the lowest average lap time wins the heat.
If you say so.

Get a lap penalty and low lap times might get you out of the basement but probably not a win. I've only seen one person EVER get a lap penalty(jumped the start in this case) and still finish first by having the lowest lap times.

Maybe you should get out more. I've seen it a lot done it a few times

Caught a guy sleeping in scale one year and woke him up as I drove by off bout 6 last lap. Shocked was an understatement

So i have gone through my props and i have the following;

* x455/3

* prather 240

* x450/3

* 1455/2

* 1455/2 barr cut

* x452/2 barr cut 50.5mm dia 5.29" of (t.e.) cup 3.65" of (c.o.
default_cool.png
pitch

Prather 235 should spool the motor up enough to keep it consistent without overload.

X452/2 blade with a little hub relieved it's definitely the one to make your boat fly....3 blade ran smooth but was 5 mph slower. Prather 235 cupped up is also good. The ABC props are showing great promise too.....

Back