need more rtrs to race

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Gibson

Supporting Member
Man was i bummed.....for the first time this year there wasnt enough rtr's to make a class at a wcra one day race... even at the district 3 two day races the turn out has been low...i know the economy isnt helping anything because i cant afford to get to the races in south fla, but i sure wish we could get more boats in the class as it really is a BLAST to race these boats....and economically, they are the CHEAPEST boats to race.....I dont have the answer as to how to get more boats in the class....any ideas out there????

Bill there will be one more rtr in the district next year wife is going to start racing. Robert

Ideas for getting more racers:

Christmas is approaching. It's very possible that RTR boats will be on someone's gift list. Hit every hobby shop in the area. Give them a small poster they can display and a handout with information about the club and racing that they can give to potential new boaters.

If you're not already doing so, promote your races on other sites such as RCU and RCGROUPS. These reach a different audience than IW and are more likely to be found by newcomers.

See if you can put up a table in a mall for a day. Staff the table with friendly boaters who can explain racing without shocking people with the high prices that some people pay. I'm not suggesting hiding the costs, but some people like to brag about how much they spend. Does a newcomer need to be told about someone's new $2500 twin rigger? It is possible to race on a budget, especially with RTR boats. If possible, show some videos at the table (the Me Time Productions DVDs would work great for this.

We have a mall show here every year and I am planning on buying a UL-1 and try to promote it. Yes I know its a fast electric, but guys like me who race electric trucks. This would an economical way of getting started in the boats plus get use to driving over 25mph.lol

Bill - Any chance of you making the West Palm Beach Race? Nov 15 - I wanted to get up there to race you, but just had Orlando race weekend before - Anyway I think the 7th is the cutoff to enter - See ya soon - Spoiler - Got something for ya next time.

Bill - Any chance of you making the West Palm Beach Race? Nov 15 - I wanted to get up there to race you, but just had Orlando race weekend before - Anyway I think the 7th is the cutoff to enter - See ya soon - Spoiler - Got something for ya next time.
Man, I really, really, really, wish i could......its always about time and money....are you going to try to make the last race that the Tampa club is puttin on in Brandon? I got my new cvrm motor, but probably wont have it in the boat till the winter nats...if i can even afford to go to that race...You ARE going to have to run RTR next year arent you?? if you dont i may have to talk some smack about you HA HA.....Do good at West Palm...you got it sewd up anyway!!! SEE YA! Bill

Don't Think I'm going to Tampa - Ran out of vacation days this year, but I do want to make it to the Winternationals , Let me know if your running and I be there.

Guys, if you like the rtr races, check out the proboat 36 shockwave I have for sale in the sale section, it may not be a elam or a bud but she runs absolutely incredible

Guys, if you like the rtr races, check out the proboat 36 shockwave I have for sale in the sale section, it may not be a elam or a bud but she runs absolutely incredible
Big Roy - That was my first Nitro boat - still got it , but you can not race it, RTR class are .18 size engines , Good luck selling your Shockwave, It's a great running boat

I did not realize that the .32 rtr can not run in that class, after all it is a rtr out of the box boat, never put it up againat any of the fast .18 boats so I did not know, sorry. Either way the wave is a great rtr boat to run and learn on.

I have a miss vegas that I am working on right now that I hope to be racing soon. I am trying to fix the sponsons since the glass is thin and leaking water. once that is done, I just need to get some prop testing to get the boat to run better. What kind of speeds are you guys seeing in stock class? How many are running stock vs mod?

In district3 stock and mod run together we dont have enough of both to have 2 classes Robert

As Robert said, Here in district 3 at this point we only have a mod class, But i gotta tell ya, im still running the stock motor that came with my boat and it runs pretty darn good! The only thing that ive done to mine is to remove the head shim and the pull start, other than that, the motor is box stock.....Ive got an O.S. CVRM .18 to put in the boat but ill probably wait till i blow up my stock motor...I have no idea what speeds my boat is running, but ive read from other posts that stock boats are running in the high 30s to low 40s and the modded boats are approaching 50mph!! What district are you in?? P.S. Dont forget, whether your going 40mph or 70mph you still gotta run 6 laps and FINISH the race!! Have fun, Bill

Last edited by a moderator:
As Robert said, Here in district 3 at this point we only have a mod class, But i gotta tell ya, im still running the stock motor that came with my boat and it runs pretty darn good! The only thing that ive done to mine is to remove the head shim and the pull start, other than that, the motor is box stock.....Ive got an O.S. CVRM .18 to put in the boat but ill probably wait till i blow up my stock motor...I have no idea what speeds my boat is running, but ive read from other posts that stock boats are running in the high 30s to low 40s and the modded boats are approaching 50mph!! What district are you in?? P.S. Dont forget, whether your going 40mph or 70mph you still gotta run 6 laps and FINISH the race!! Have fun, Bill

I am in District 3 actually. I attended the july race with herb stewart. i ran an electric tunnel hull with him that day, and helped out with another guy as his pit man. I went ahead and joined, and bought the Vegas that I have now. I have been working through a few problems with it. I have had it running with the new piston and sleeve in the stock motor. Right now i am trying to fix the front sponsons. They were in bad shape, and as I tried to smooth them out, I almost sanded through the glass. I should have it back up and running by the weekend. I am hoping to get out to the lake on sat to do some testing. i have picked up a few new props to try once they are sharpend and balanced.

i may try to come by for the 2 day race, but I don't think I will be ready to race yet. we shall see though.

if I can get into this class, i will just have to get a better motor sooner than later. lol

Last edited by a moderator:

I am in District 3 actually. I attended the july race with herb stewart. i ran an electric tunnel hull with him that day, and helped out with another guy as his pit man. I went ahead and joined, and bought the Vegas that I have now. I have been working through a few problems with it. I have had it running with the new piston and sleeve in the stock motor. Right now i am trying to fix the front sponsons. They were in bad shape, and as I tried to smooth them out, I almost sanded through the glass. I should have it back up and running by the weekend. I am hoping to get out to the lake on sat to do some testing. i have picked up a few new props to try once they are sharpend and balanced.

i may try to come by for the 2 day race, but I don't think I will be ready to race yet. we shall see though.

if I can get into this class, i will just have to get a better motor sooner than later. lol
Im planning on being at the race at Brandon..so come on out and get your feet wet...even if you dont race bring your boat with you and we,ll take a look at it!! RTRs are alot of fun to race and they are CHEAP! If you decide to get another motor later...you can contact Terminater...if he has any left, he sold me a new CVRM at a VERY reasonable price! Bill

Im planning on being at the race at Brandon..so come on out and get your feet wet...even if you dont race bring your boat with you and we,ll take a look at it!! RTRs are alot of fun to race and they are CHEAP! If you decide to get another motor later...you can contact Terminater...if he has any left, he sold me a new CVRM at a VERY reasonable price! Bill
I am hoping to atleast get out there one of the two days. No reason why I shouldn't be able to that I know of. I have the boat cut open right now trying to fix the running surface. I hope to have it back together by the weekend so I can get some more testing done. If I can get the boat running decent, I will plan to run.

Back