Life batteries for RX use - pros & cons?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Any problems with the high voltage? only 6.6 volt ( range 6.7 to 6.8) for LiFe If you make mistake set up on Lipo charger 7.3V( range 7.4 to 8 ) to feed to LiFe battery so can damage. you must always set up " LiFe" charger 6.6v (S2) more safe and good health

Are most running regulators? don't need for LiFe If you use Lipo so must connect to regulator so can feed loss drain volt because the switch turn on all if your dead boat leave on pond so wait pit pick up too long That's risk ( may loss out of control )

Last edited by a moderator:
I have been running the A123 1100 hard cells in both scale and sp-40 for a couple seasons now. I often go two races before charging and I have yet to put back over 300 mah, usually about 150-125 after one race. Love the 15 min recharge and the ability to totally tape up the boat and get it ready to go and not have to leave it on charge till the morning. I sometimes get the boat ready a couple of days in advance, (which I wouldn't do with NIMH). I went with A123 cells cause they are sooooo electrically robust and vibration resistent. I buy NIP VPX drill packs and make my own packs by removing the plastic case and soldering on wire and connecters, much cheaper than buying single A123 cells. I am considering going to Hobbycity packs when I run out of VPX packs, cause the soft cells seem to be working well for 99% of the people. No regulater. I once left the reciever on overnight thought the battery was ruined but it seemed to be okay after recharging. Rudy
When you say "soft cells" do you mean like the Life Source packs?

And the A123 cells are the "hard cells" in 1100 and 2300 maH?

Yes and Yes! A123 is a brand name, I believe there are other hard cells out there now, but of doubtful quality. We are now starting to see competition to pack more MAH into the same package like in consumer AA NiMH's.

Yes and Yes! A123 is a brand name, I believe there are other hard cells out there now, but of doubtful quality. We are now starting to see competition to pack more MAH into the same package like in consumer AA NiMH's.
Thanks figured that.

Been using the 28v Dewalt packs in my starter box for two seasons now, they use 8 of the 2300 maH A123 cells, love it! :)

Been using a life tx pack in my 4pl for indoor off road racing last a month running every Thursday night an Saturday all day!! life rx packs will be in my boats next year!

Ok I've got a number of new builds going together this winter and will need to order batteries for them. Since it's been well over a year since numerous racers started using the Life batteries I'd like to hear some constructive feedback from those who've used them for an entire season in RX applications. I just bought one for my 4PK back in early November but still have all my boats fitted with 2500mah 6 volt Nimh packs. So how are the Life packs? How long do they hold a charge? How well do they do with big hi draw and digital servos? How fast does the charge drop off when they get low? Let's hear the "skinny"! :)
Don I have change everything over to the Life packs. I even put one in my new 4PK. One thing you must understand is the peek amp draw on servos. Most of the problem I have seen with servos is that racers use to small of mah battery. I myself only run standard servos but Doc has been running a digital servo on his big F boat with a 650 mah battery. He could not get the boat to go straight at all. I showed him what the servo did on peek amps when you moved it. This servo peek about 1.5 amps. This was double what his battery could handle. Now this peek is just a split second but will really kick a battery in the dirt and keep it there under loan. I handed him a 1800mah Life battery to put in the boat and the problem went away. So check what your servos do in movement and use a battery to handle the current.

I sell 1300 mah Life packs that are the perfect size and these are made with high quality matched cells with a 10C discharge rating. That is 11 amps which more power than the wire can hold so they have no problems delivering consistant voltage and power to even the highest draw digital servos.

I have been using these packs for a while now and they are just unbelievable the capacity they have. Been doing a lot of testing this past week and spent 3-4 hours almost everyday with a boat with two high torque digital servos 300 oz in and a 150 oz in on a single charge. Running Sundays only they go like 5-6 weeks and lose almost nothing while sitting.

They have the proper Futaba J universal power lead and the most popular XH balance plug.

$26 each shipped in the states.

2d6lhk9.jpg

They aren't making 8.4 volt high voltage servos for nothing so of coarse the receiver can handle it. All Fasst receivers safely will operate and are spec'ed at 8.4 volt. There is printed material out there showing battery requirements as 6 volt nicad on the Fasst 3 channel receivers but are not a maximum spec..

Between the receiver bus and the receivers internal electronics are voltage regulation circuits a receiver can safely run on even 12 volts but they won't tell you trhat because people would blame them for frying servos' if they advertised and/or told you that.

Receivers are not the problem with higher voltage packs the servos are though as the + and - of each batt and servo channel port are on a common bus so what goes in mostly comes out.

1eaqkk.jpg

What would be a good reasonably priced charger for this type of battery?

Tim K
I charge all my batts with this charger Tim.

http://www.amainhobb...arger-6S-6A-50W

Later, Ron
Tim,

I would agree with Ron. Hyperion makes some of the best chargers on the market, and will charge about anything you throw at them. The Hyperion brand is one of the most popular among FE racers for lipos. The beauty is they will charge everything, including Pb gel cells.

Later,

Mike

So.........

With the fact that I run dual RX's in my twins, one for throttle and one for steering even with digitals I'm thinking 2 1600mah life packs would get it done based on what you guys using them are seeing as far a run time vs. nimh. Sound about right?

So.........

With the fact that I run dual RX's in my twins, one for throttle and one for steering even with digitals I'm thinking 2 1600mah life packs would get it done based on what you guys using them are seeing as far a run time vs. nimh. Sound about right?
That is what I am using.

So.........

KILLER!

So.........

Just one 2100 Life pack with two harness good enough power amp ;)

Back