JAE gas rigger build

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We started our Jae Gas Rigger build. After reading the instructions several times we got started After unpacking and marking the parts we glued the tub side doublers in place Next we fitted the bulkheads After gluing with ca we moved on to the booms This will set up all nite before we sand and apply the tub bottom rear section. For power we will use a RCMK rear exhaust motor, most of the rest including hardware and prop will be Zipps off the shelf parts
Ok we sheeted the bottom,in order to get a tight fit we had to sand the bottom sheet to get it in the jig correctly. Be sure to get the shaft log holes on the RIGHT side. Next we glued the sub nose and transom doubler in,note we glued the doubler while the boat was in the jig,you want to be sure as you add parts NOT to build any twist in the hull. We hope to move along more this weekend,when I say we my son Jeff is doing the bulk of the work.....

Ok when you glue the inner/outer tub sides, did you coat the inner tub side with epoxy? Thanks.

I'll go weights as well. Another question (sorry), were your outer tub sides curved much? Mine were curved.

I'll go weights as well. Another question (sorry), were your outer tub sides curved much? Mine were curved.
All the more reason to use weights on a flat surface or clamped to your angle. Mine were fine all the wood has been perfect.

More pics tonite,we have put several parts on,Jeff is working on his 20 Jae at the same time.

Guys-

A lot more people (I'm sure) read these posts than actually reply and get actively involved in the discussion... Like me, most of the time! I'd just like to say that I really appreciate the pictures following/documenting a build this way- it's a huge asset for us visual learners out here. I'm currently finishing up a JAE .21 right now, just in the process of sealing the tub with West Marine epoxy resin, and hope to build a Gas JAE next... so am benefitting from all these pictures! Thanks again for the extra effort you put into your posts!

Wes

We started our Jae Gas Rigger build. After reading the instructions several times we got started After unpacking and marking the parts we glued the tub side doublers in place Next we fitted the bulkheads After gluing with ca we moved on to the booms This will set up all nite before we sand and apply the tub bottom rear section. For power we will use a RCMK rear exhaust motor, most of the rest including hardware and prop will be Zipps off the shelf parts
Ok we sheeted the bottom,in order to get a tight fit we had to sand the bottom sheet to get it in the jig correctly. Be sure to get the shaft log holes on the RIGHT side. Next we glued the sub nose and transom doubler in,note we glued the doubler while the boat was in the jig,you want to be sure as you add parts NOT to build any twist in the hull. We hope to move along more this weekend,when I say we my son Jeff is doing the bulk of the work.....
Ok back Middle tub sanded and installed Next we glued the front sheet in Extra time was taken to prepare the tub for this part,make sure you get it on correctly, Sponson tubes next,be sure to find a #16 and #29 drill bit as the front gets tapped and rear gets bolted And counter sink a little extra to allow for sealing the wood Pin the transom note the pic in the manual one pin in front and one in rear doubler I have to switch to Jeffs screen name to finish this as im out of room for pics

Pins Next we glued the lid frame support and goofed we also glued in the lid frame.. Left side spacers were installed and we started mounting the motor,I have a Butch block shaft and bushing along with a wood dowel That I use to get the angle im looking for We are in process mounting the motor,take your time as we are to get the shaft alignment correct...Mike and Jeff

Attachments

• pins in transom.jpg
    pins in transom.jpg
    326.2 KB · Views: 1
  • Radio lid front support installed as is lid frame.jpg
    Radio lid front support installed as is lid frame.jpg
    297.9 KB · Views: 1
  • Engine alignment.jpg
    Engine alignment.jpg
    376.2 KB · Views: 1
did you notice that after your bulkheads were set in, that it took alot of sanding to bring them all flush with the tub sides? Mine were all about 1/16 higher on every side all the way around. I sanded them all down and the tun came out straight. Just thought it was wierd. For your rear boom tube brace, underneath the brass tubing, is that piece standing up or laying flat?

thanks, sorry if I sound half crazy its hot in the garage and been sanding all day.

There is a brace in both aft and one under the brass tube. When its time to drill the tubes you will drill thru the bottom sheet,a brace,brass tube and then the boom tube. See page 9 bottom 2 pics in the manual.

gasjae029.jpg

What hardware are you guys going to use? Zipps?

My only concern is that the strut isn't adjustable.

Your boat looks good,we are stuck trying to prepare for a race and its killing our shop time. Starting Monday my son will start the sponson build while I finish the tub and start sealing.

Back