I Waters Rocket Club

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
for sure keep us posted. Shove the E in it..

I got this pic from the club.. its the AJ in the later part of the cato

Last edited by a moderator:
Is there a general rule of thumb for the height of the rocket vs. the height of the launch rod ?

Andy

Andy

Nope.. just remember the longer the better.. the rocket has to be at or around 50' per sec at the end of the rod to make a stable launch.

When in doubt make it longer (1/8" or 3/16" carbon fiber tubing 40" long works good for most aps.. if you are flying larger rockets I use a 6' rod (1/4") (Aluminum or SS).

IF.. the rocket was 2 feel long and had a 8” launch rod.. as long as the rocket makes 50fs at the end of the rod (LL in this case) you are golden.

Grim

An awesome friend of mine whom i work with has gotten bit by the bug......he's gettin a Public Missles AGM-256 Pit Bull, 38mm/ I motors for cert 1.....he showed me a pic of the rocket....I GOTTA GET ONE!!! Its just BAD lookin rocket......this thing looks like my lil Estes Bull Pup.....ON STERIODS! Have you ever tried makin a rocket motor with sugar? CRAZY MAN! My buddy is a little nuts! He,s a helicopter pilot.......IT FIGURES! :D

Andy

Nope.. just remember the longer the better.. the rocket has to be at or around 50' per sec at the end of the rod to make a stable launch.

When in doubt make it longer (1/8" or 3/16" carbon fiber tubing 40" long works good for most aps.. if you are flying larger rockets I use a 6' rod (1/4") (Aluminum or SS).

IF.. the rocket was 2 feel long and had a 8” launch rod.. as long as the rocket makes 50fs at the end of the rod (LL in this case) you are golden.

Grim
Here's why I ask ,

Approx weight 3.5 to 3.8 oz

using D12-5 and E9-8

With a 3ft 5/16 stainless rod .

I tried running the calc you gave Grim, but it wouldnt let me be specific enough about motor sizes .

f2rpeq.jpg

jg2ixg.jpg

Andy

Grim
sorry double post

Andy

IF.. the rocket was 2 feel long and had a 8 launch rod.. as long as the rocket makes 50fs at the end of the rod (LL in this case) you are golden.

Grim
sorry double post

Andy.. a D12 will put you at 52'per (930' alt) sec and a E9 at 42'per (1,519' alt).. if you can get that to a 5' rod you are looking at 55 per sec

on the E.. ..

I have flown rockets that slow off the pad just remember.. NO WIND or very light!

Grim

p.s. whats the body tube dia on that rocket?

Andy

Grim
sorry double post

Andy.. a D12 will put you at 52'per (930' alt) sec and a E9 at 42'per (1,519' alt).. if you can get that to a 5' rod you are looking at 55 per sec

on the E.. ..

I have flown rockets that slow off the pad just remember.. NO WIND or very light!

Grim

p.s. whats the body tube dia on that rocket?

When you say that slow off the pad- 42 per or 52 per off the pad. ?

Or are both borberline slow ?

The E is a tick slow but I have done it.. it will likey be OK.. the D is like ......ROCKET!

Also..my corvette leaves the rod at 80fps on a H128.. but that is on a 6 foot rod.. ROCKEN!

on a Cesaroni H410 its 127fps.. YEA!..

Grim

Andy.. I re checked the numbers and your at 49fps on the E at 3.8 oz.. that on a 4 foot rod..

have FUN and get video!

Grim

Andy.. I re checked the numbers and your at 49fps on the E at 3.8 oz.. that on a 4 foot rod..

have FUN and get video!

Grim
The problem is, the Magician came with 3/16ths lugs and I didnt catch it till after the build.

My 4ft rod is 1/4 inch

My 3/16 ths rod is only 3ft . :(

Should I upgrade the lugs to 1/4 and launch with the longer rod ?

The Eliminator comes in at 33 inches / same motors and tube .

About 4.5 oz

fits the 1/4 rod

Andy

Hum.. I might just get a 40" 187 carbon rod and leave it at that.

But.. as a last resort just place a set of 1/4 lugs on the "other side' of the rocket.

Grim

How do you like that blast deflector.. its dang hard to burn though them..lol

How about it Bill

Grim

How about it Bill

Grim
I meant to say something about that,

Been framing houses again ,

Now I have a good use for those spent $40.00 Diablo blades B) :p

Bill ?

Andy

How about it Bill

Grim
I saw it,(no pun intended) was gonna reply about how GREAT of an idea it was, got a phone call and forgot all about it!! NOW... why dont we kick it up a notch....motorize it, put a sensor on it to switch the motor on if somebody gets within sayyyyy....10 feet of your rocket for protection against potiential SABATOGE!! :lol: :lol: OR spin that puppy up just as you launch yer beast for a swirl effect! :D Man, i gotta get more sleep or somethin....Here's some pics from the launch Saturday...the high power job at launch isnt mine....it was my first ever attempt at taking a pic of a rocket launch.....didnt get to launch my Arcas..if you REALLY WANT TO KNOW WHY,.... ill share! :rolleyes: My lil Magnum Hornet flew real nice...C11-3...good windy day motor...ill stick a D in it next time!

Back