Help With my 20 Speedmaster

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Heartbeat

My 20 Speed master wants to lay down hard right when going down the straights, It will hop in the turns. I tryed raising the strut which has helped.

I lowered the right trim tab, but I don't want to go to far I am looking for a fix not a patch.

Any Ideas?

Thanks

Mike

give a few more details, first guess is that the rudder blade is too long, if you set it up like the sheet says, and used s/m hardware it should be excellent. 440/3 is the prop. what is the speed?

Mike B

I set it up as the sheet except for the CG which I set as per a previous post.

I couldn't get a actual speed, But is way SLOW. I was thinking if I get the attitude corrected then I could work out the speed issue.

Would the rudder blade being long make it lean like that?

I will have to double check the lenght.

Thanks Mike

mine is pretty much set up per the instruction sheet. all trim tabs are LEVEL, and teh strut has EXACTLY 1/32" neg angle on it is all. about 1/4" max rudder throw. does 42-43 mph (radar gun) with a x-440/3 and a CMB TT 21 (black engine).

great boat.

MAKE SURE EVERYTHIG IS SHARP!!!!!!!!!!!!!

carl

I have always used 9 5/8" from the transom for the c/g, strut and rudder from s/m no fin no tabs, mac or n/r races in the low 50's.

Mike B

If you are using the standard Speedmaster rudder, you need to cut it. If it's the mini rudder, you don't need to.

Heartbeat said:
My 20 Speed master wants to lay down hard right when going down the straights, It will hop in the turns.  I tryed raising the strut which has helped.  I lowered the right trim tab, but I don't want to go to far I am looking for a fix not a patch.

Any Ideas?

Thanks

Mike

83453[/snapback]

It is too tight on the water. Trim the rudder like Joe said.

Can anybody tell me how high the strut should be from the bottom of the boat?

and should the rudder be kicked in or out?

The rudder is shorter then the set up sheet says.

Thanks for the help

Mike

if the boat were upside down and a stright edge was placed on the keel, the strut would have an even 3/32-1/8 " gap between it and the straight edge. the trailing edge of the rudder should be 90 degrees to the bottom of the boat, if the bottom of the rudder is kicked in, it will make the boat run wet or tight in the turn, the opposite if kicked out. I still think something is dragging in the water, do you run a turn fin? where is the c/g, does the handleing change as the fuel burns off?

Mike B

Thanks Mike

I am going to straighten out the rudder, and bring the trim tabs up and try again.

The cg is abour 9 5/8 and there is no turn fin.

Mike

Whatever is making it run wet, the problem is that it is running wet.

I saw it with another boat. It will lay on it's side like there is 5lbs of lead on it.

Thats whats its doing.

I will be home on monday or tues and will retry with the rudder fixed

Thanks

Mike

Back