Speedmaster mono

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drew St. Amant

So I've been doing some looking around and I've noticed that the speedmaster monos are not able to be purchased currently due to the fact of Julian not wanting to make boats I get his reasons for that and completely understand. What I'm wondering is if it would cause a problem if I made my own molds for them I'm proficient in cad and have a speedmaster 20 mono to base it off of. I'm not trying to steal anyone's design I just hate to see that boat go away. My speedmaster is by a large margin my favorite boat I've also always wanted to see a 60 size and a gas size speed master which I could make cad files for. The other big issue is the only person I currently know with cnc big enough to make the plugs would be many months before they could do it so if anyone has any ideas for that I'd appreciate it.

That may be true the only thing I've personally seen about them is him saying he doesn't want to make any cause family comes first. which is completely understandable basically i just want to make sure I'm not stepping on any toes because it is not my design by any means.

So I've been doing some looking around and I've noticed that the speedmaster monos are not able to be purchased currently due to the fact of Julian not wanting to make boats I get his reasons for that and completely understand. What I'm wondering is if it would cause a problem if I made my own molds for them I'm proficient in cad and have a speedmaster 20 mono to base it off of. I'm not trying to steal anyone's design I just hate to see that boat go away. My speedmaster is by a large margin my favorite boat I've also always wanted to see a 60 size and a gas size speed master which I could make cad files for. The other big issue is the only person I currently know with cnc big enough to make the plugs would be many months before they could do it so if anyone has any ideas for that I'd appreciate it.
I say let the chips & dust fly!
Make them available again

Maybe contact Julian and see what he has to say. He is the one that in the end will have an issue with it. If in fact the molds are lost and you want to cad a plug, then he might be good with it. Just saying.
Mike

Make them available a
I can be contacted by sending me a PM

Make them available again
Of course you would say that because

1) one you don’t own the name and design
2) you did not invest any money in acquiring the Speedmaster boats business, molds and the design.
3) going thru the pain in the butt process to patent the design.

Of course you would say that because

1) one you don’t own the name and design
2) you did not invest any money in acquiring the Speedmaster boats business, molds and the design.
3) going thru the pain in the butt process to patent the design.
So make them available Julian!
What good are they doing sitting in storage?
This subject comes up quit often and it's the same story, there mine, I own them and I'm not making them for anyone.... why?

So make them available Julian!
What good are they doing sitting in storage?
This subject comes up quit often and it's the same story, there mine, I own them and I'm not making them for anyone.... why?
It’s pretty simple. I’m not going to take time away from my family and my toddler.
I have a million things going on in my life and Rc boats is no where in my priority list not saying they will never be build but at the moment is not in my priority list.

I work very long hours and the little time I have is for my family.

If someone wants to buy them they can PM me is that simple

Julian,

Glad to hear from you again.
Your correct family, work, hobbies.
Life is all about Priorities.

Talk Soon,

Mark

No dog in this hunt but one thing needs to be cleared up. There is no such thing as an enforceable patent on a boat hull, lifesize or RC. Why? This matter was addressed by the Supreme Court around 1985 when a big group of boat builders pushed the issue because of all of the 'splashing' that was taking place in boat manufacturing. In a nutshell. the court decided that builders could not get protection on every single mold that they built because it would cause a firestorm of litigation. Everyone in the country that built a V bottom boat would be suing each other over every V bottom boat design.
Now, the patent office and a patent attorney WILL take your money. They will take your money and after a lot of paper work you might get a "patent" on what you submitted. It is not worth the paper it is printed on. Suing someone does not mean you will win either. At the end of the day you are just better off using that money to buy materials and crank out boats.

No dog in this hunt but one thing needs to be cleared up. There is no such thing as an enforceable patent on a boat hull, lifesize or RC. Why? This matter was addressed by the Supreme Court around 1985 when a big group of boat builders pushed the issue because of all of the 'splashing' that was taking place in boat manufacturing. In a nutshell. the court decided that builders could not get protection on every single mold that they built because it would cause a firestorm of litigation. Everyone in the country that built a V bottom boat would be suing each other over every V bottom boat design.
Now, the patent office and a patent attorney WILL take your money. They will take your money and after a lot of paper work you might get a "patent" on what you submitted. It is not worth the paper it is printed on. Suing someone does not mean you will win either. At the end of the day you are just better off using that money to buy materials and crank out boats.
You're exactly right!....I remember that, guy's were splashing the hell out of Allison's and Hydrostream's back then....if I remember correctly, Howard Pipkorn of Hydrostream was a plaintiff in one of those suits, and he lost....all that it takes is one small functional design change to make it legit, anyway.

You're exactly right!....I remember that, guy's were splashing the hell out of Allison's and Hydrostream's back then....if I remember correctly, Howard Pipkorn of Hydrostream was a plaintiff in one of those suits, and he lost....all that it takes is one small functional design change to make it legit, anyway.
Yup just ask the guys at Aeromarine, the most copied r/c boats on the planet.

Yup just ask the guys at Aeromarine, the most copied r/c boats on the planet.
Yessir, forgot about that. Last time I talked to Troy, about a year ago, that even came up in conversation.

They made good boats when Remy's dad was running the show, and selling the heck out of them, mid/late 80's...built one of their scale Miller American hydros and thought it was a decent boat...can't remember how many of their cats we had....think Aeromarine was even the OPS Dist. for a bit, too.

When I lived in central Florida years ago I walked into a very well stocked hobby shop that had lots of boats and planes. It was obvious that someone in that area was splashing every boat he could get. There were several Dumas deep V copies and several large cat copies. All of them were thin and cheaply built. This was when gas boats were starting to show up. It was obvious the owner of the shop did not know his boat brands or he would have known what the person was selling him.
I was not condoning the practice in my previous post. Unfortunately there are always people who will do this because they know how much work is in building from scratch.

I hate a splash as much as any designer.

BUT it is about supply and demand, if there is demand and it cannot be met the right way, then people will do it the wrong way.

It sucks, but it is the way of the world... let alone getting into the world of the Vietnamese copy cats...

Back