Fire Fighter 45

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's some mighty fine machine work you got there Tim.

Ian is definately a fine craftsman no doubt....................man I am gobsmacked by that, really really sweet work

Johno

That's some mighty fine machine work you got there Tim.
Ian is definately a fine craftsman no doubt....................man I am gobsmacked by that, really really sweet work

Johno
Johno,

Just to clarify, I made the strut but not the strut/rudder bracket, I think Paul Osmond made that. B)

Ian.

Yes - the Mill work on the bracket was done by Paul Osmond and I am extremely happy with the way it came out.

While it looks heavy, the bracket and the 4 transom mounting screws are actually lighter than the original transom bracket, two strut brackets and accompanying screws and nuts. The other thing about it that photo's don't really tell, is that it is extremely rigid and not likely to move. I was also able to set the rudder L/E and drive dog position relative to the rear sponson T/E because I wasn't limited by "off the shelf" hardware lengths.

As I said earlier - once I'm happy with a few other little things it will get some more mill work to lighten it, then I might polish it. Possibly have it anodised too if the paint scheme suits.

Sorry to side track your thread Paul!

Yes - the Mill work on the bracket was done by Paul Osmond and I am extremely happy with the way it came out.While it looks heavy, the bracket and the 4 transom mounting screws are actually lighter than the original transom bracket, two strut brackets and accompanying screws and nuts. The other thing about it that photo's don't really tell, is that it is extremely rigid and not likely to move. I was also able to set the rudder L/E and drive dog position relative to the rear sponson T/E because I wasn't limited by "off the shelf" hardware lengths.

As I said earlier - once I'm happy with a few other little things it will get some more mill work to lighten it, then I might polish it. Possibly have it anodised too if the paint scheme suits.

Sorry to side track your thread Paul!
Tim, no worries great looking bracket. I'll probably use the standard brackets.

Added some new pictures to gallery: -Link-

Today Henk Spoor helped me to built an extra silencer for the AB pipe. For the Dutch Championship only 80 dB noiselevel is allowed. Therefore we'll add an extra silencer that should do the job. Unfortunatly the aluminium got a bit too hot and burned away, so on to the next try.

Made the enginemounts and now have to place the engine. What is the good spot, how far from the transom tot the glowplug? What about the angle? I'll try to set the engine as low as possible on a 10 degree rake so that the pipe is level?

Here latest picture of the engine mounts: click

Paul,

I'd suggest waiting until you have the top skin on before you drill holes for the engine mount. (Hint - if you ever build another one, attach the top skin before the bottom one - makes sealing the underside of the top skin a lot easier!)

The reason I suggest waiting until the top skin is mounted, is so that you can ensure you have enough pipe clearance. I'd also suggest getting the engine as far forward as physically possible. Put a rear boom tube in there when you are ready to mount the engine too, and don't forget to give yourself enough clearance for getting the starter belt out from under the flywheel.

Tim.

well... i use a z bend, some like an s bend. it kinda depends on your preference. i drew it on the plans i think??

First of all - Tom, you are welcome down her any time my friend! The local's will probably pick on you for being a Seppo though! (see dictionary) :lol: :lol: :lol:

Paul - I used an S bend shaft in mine - I'll take a measurement for you when I get home from work.

First of all - Tom, you are welcome down her any time my friend! The local's will probably pick on you for being a Seppo though! (see dictionary) :lol: :lol: :lol: Paul - I used an S bend shaft in mine - I'll take a measurement for you when I get home from work.

that's fine with me..... if your going to give it out you better be able to take it :p

now all i need to do is win the lottery!

First of all - Tom, you are welcome down her any time my friend! The local's will probably pick on you for being a Seppo though! (see dictionary) :lol: :lol: :lol: Paul - I used an S bend shaft in mine - I'll take a measurement for you when I get home from work.

that's fine with me..... if your going to give it out you better be able to take it :p

Tom u only need enough to buy a plane ticket, Im sure theres plenty of us that will supply your beer and tucker!

Tom u only need enough to buy a plane ticket, Im sure theres plenty of us that will supply your beer and tucker!
tucker... had to look it up.... honestly, when you guys go through that list do you know everything on it?

now i really like the mackers one! might have some for breakfast!

tucker... had to look it up.... honestly, when you guys go through that list do you know everything on it?

now i really like the mackers one! might have some for breakfast!
Thanks Tim for the measurement. What is the advantage for an S or Z band?

Back