Sport 40 Build Questions

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DanWeidner

I'm getting back into rc boating after 30 years and had primaily raced tunnels back then. I am planning to build a ML Boatworks Sport 40 kit and want to have a boat ready once the weather cooperates!! I have a brand new CMB 45 VAC and CMB pipe waiting. I do have some questions right now that I would like to hear your recommendations.

1. IMPBA has a rule that states "Model Engine must be fully cowled except for air and water inlets and exits(this excludes the exhaust system))".

I'm a little confused with the double negative. I think it's telling me I can't exit the pipe out through the cowling. Is that correct?
  2. Assuming I was wrong about 1 and there are options between exiting the pipe through the canopy or out the transom, How do you recommend the pipe exit the boat (through transom, out the canopy)? (It seems to me by running the pipe out the transom there may be benefits (i.e lower center of gravity, air dynamics, etc...)).
  3. I have never exited a pipe out the transom, how is that done (pictures)? (Some of my questions include what are you using to extend the pipe to the transom, how do you protect the boat from the heat from the pipe, what do you use to hold the pipe extension out the transom, where in the transom is it exiting(left or right side, how high from bottom of transom, etc....).|
  4. For the enclosed cockpit requirement, any recommendations where to get a decal? I can always just paint it, but it would look better if a decal.
  5. At this point, my painting abilities are quite basic so I am planning to have a very basic paint scheme. IMPBA requires a "Boat must have a name, sponsor's name, logo,and/or a racing number affixed to hull (a local, national, or fictitious sponsor name is acceptable)".
  • What is the minimal information I need on the boat to meet these requirements? Can I just say "Dan's Racing" or do I need more?
  • Do you have someone you recommend that can prepare the label or do you do it yourself?

I'm sure I'll have more questions later, but this will help alot!!

Thanks,
    Dan

Good choice on hull in my opinion.. They way I understand it, Namba lets the pipe go out the cowl, IMPBA says it has to go out the transom on sport 40.. brass tube with rubber grommet through the transom,.. with a piece of coupler between the pipe and brass tube works pretty well., There are more elaborate ways,.. On the name sponsor and stuff.. you can make up whatever you want.. you can get decals for windshield,.. etc..

I think Anthony is confused on the pipe issue. Google NAMBA and read the rule book.

Out of the NAMBA Rulebook:

There will be no exposed tuned pipes allowed. Tuned pipes will be covered by a
deck, a cowl, or an exhaust shroud. That portion of a tuned pipe which is confined to
the engine compartment will be exempt.

Out of the IMPBA Rulebook:

Model Engine must be fully cowled except for air and water inlets and exits (this excludes the
exhaust system).

What this means is that, in NAMBA, the exhaust must be covered or enclosed in some way while, in IMPBA, the exhaust can be left out in the open as I read the rules pasted above

Last edited by a moderator:
Sam i am Namba the pipe has to be under the cowling, when i was IMPBA the rule states it can be exposed through the cowling

just looking at the PT40 Michigan boat.. looks really cool.. Not sure I would or could build mine that well... it would hurt too much when I crash it!

I liked your michigan university one, although all of them were unbelievable! That's coming from an IU Hoosier :)

Back