Booms

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gooycheese

Chat Moderator
Hi all,

I broke my .12 blazzin booms this weekend and I am deciding how I want to re-make them. I am pretty sure I don't want to glue the boom tube into the sponson. I am really considering the brass sleeve like the Hawk or the aluminum sleeve like the Crapshooter glued into the sponson. The question I have regarding these styles would be on the Crapshooter. I really have never looked really hard at the booms on them, if I decide to use this style of boom how are they done, and what is the black collar up against the tub on them? I have searched for some pics and haven't really got what I was looking for, I need to know how they attach to the tub and how they attach to the sponson. Please help any information that can be provided will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Paul

p.s. I am not and will not use your help for designing my own boats, I am really a rookie and just am trying to have fun boating. I am just looking to try different styles of builds. Thanks Again :)

Last edited by a moderator:
OUCH. Hey Paul,

When I do my sponsons I use carbon tube on both sides. My ? is how prone are you to clipping things?? This will determine how heavy a tube you use for the application.

we epoxy aluminum tubes in the sponsons. if you hit something hard it can bend the aluminum tubes and break the carbon ones. you just heat the aluminum up a little with a propane torch and pull them out with pliars, them glue in new. this will work with carbon also ,but they usually break off even with the sponsons, which makes them harder to remove. the collars locate the front tube, nothing else holdes it in but the sponsons. the rear collars just add strength if you hit something, and looks better. also covers up the slot for the tubes

Ok I have been looking at the Blackbird and the Crapshooter. It looks like the boom tubes slide over the the aluminum stubs that stick out of the sponsons? Now if this is the case are they held on with a machines screw thru the boom tube and the stub? I understand the collars are on the outside of the tub and it makes sense that they would hold the boom tubes where you want them left to right but how do you adjust your AOA like this ? Does anyone know of some pictures of the sponsons attached to the boom tubes and the inside of the tub where the sponsons travel thru the tub? I am hoping to build some sponsons this week and have this little boat ready to run for September 1st District 4 Championships ( I also need this boat ready for Indy Masters the following weekend)

Thanks again,

Paul

My email is [email protected] if you have some pictures you would be willing to share.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Chris,

That is the info I am seeking. I cant do everything the way you have it pictured but I can make the sponsons and have the stubs set for your style and next tub will be built over winter and can use the sponsons the way I make with the new tub.

Thanks ,

Paul

Paul this is the set up on the .12 Rigger I got from Mike (toyotatruckin), he did a GREAT job on the sponsons, you can adjust them in or out and they tighten down great. I hit a buoy today and ripped the buoy out and did nothing to the sponson that hit it. Didn't even change the adjustment. They look heavy but they weigh nothing. I will email you a picture can't get it to upload.

Ralph

Thanks Ralph,

That style is the same way the hawk is done :)

Chris,

The only question i have is how would you adjust toe in? On the Hawk you can adjust toe in at the collar next to the sponson. This style has a screw thru the stub and the CF, I am sorry I really like to understand the way it is suppose to work (I should have spoke with you and your dad in more depth Saturday).

Thanks again,

Paul

Latest posts

Back