About time..........................

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You all don't know what a water Turkey is????????????????? DANG........................

That what I am calling MY new set up................

You know when a water Turkey is wet trying to take off and it feet are walking on the water................
default_smile.png

That's it Don shutter down Martin is taking it over..............................................
default_ohmy.png

I have little run time with the VAC 1.05 right now compared to the RS 1.01 so it is hard to say one way or the other.

I can say it was harder to load the eng on the original boat set up. The RPM that I have seen so far are very good.

have not taken a plug yet with the new setup.

With the 1.01 P/S and more stroke with the VAC crank the timed area is larger with this setup. not to mention more CID.

Also the VAC case has larger volume runners in the case to support higher nitro. By the # it should be a better set up than the RS eng that was designed for lower nitro and smaller runner volume. The VAC case was designed for high nitro from the get go with large volume runners. That is why thy don't hole a piston like the RS eng.

If you do decide to try it you will see what I am talking about when you put the RS 1.01 sleeve in the case and see the mismatch on the transfer ports in the liner to the RS sleeve.

Thy only problem is the small bearings in the case on the VAC. Thy are the same size as a 67/80..............

BAD NEWS..........................Full complement ceramic hybrids are the only way to keep it alive. gives you twice the bearing surface on the crank.

You know if you can not have fun with it why do it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well off to moms to carve some turkey......................NO it not a water turkey either.........LOL

Happy boating all........................

cormorant.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Good speed on the 90 boat, I believe I remember reading about that before. Did you ever take it to record trials ?

Stan has told me about that 45 before, he said 96 . My 45 oval is doing 98+ so your way off now
Happy Thanksgiving everyone!
default_smile.png

Martin, We never did take that 90 boat to a record trial.

Joe also had a 67 Jaguar oval set up that ran 96 or 97 in January 1995. The boat was set up just as he raced it the week before at the Orlando Winternats.

The boat was set up for the race running 87. The next weekend we took it out, bumped up the nitro and prop and it ran the high 90's. The prop was an ABC 65X110. Joe did take that boat to Huntsville and ran it in SAW. Joe never did work at oval records.

You all don't know what a water Turkey is????????????????? DANG........................

You know when a water Turkey is wet trying to take off and it feet are walking on the water................
default_smile.png

That's it Don shutter down Martin is taking it over..............................................
default_ohmy.png

I have little run time with the VAC 1.05 right now compared to the RS 1.01 so it is hard to say one way or the other.

I can say it was harder to load the eng on the original boat set up. The RPM that I have seen so far are very good.

With the 1.01 P/S and more stroke with the VAC crank the timed area is larger with this setup. not to mention more CID.

Also the VAC case has larger volume runners in the case to support higher nitro. By the # it should be a better set up than the RS eng that was designed for lower nitro and smaller runner volume. The VAC case was designed for high nitro from the get go with large volume runners. That is why thy don't hole a piston like the RS eng.

If you do decide to try it you will see what I am talking about when you put the RS 1.01 sleeve in the case and see the mismatch on the transfer ports in the liner to the RS sleeve.

Thy only problem is the small bearings in the case on the VAC. Thy are the same size as a 67/80..............

BAD NEWS..........................Full complement ceramic hybrids are the only way to keep it alive. gives you twice the bearing surface on the crank.

You know if you can not have fun with it why do it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well off to moms to carve some turkey......................NO it not a water turkey either.........LOL

There IS another "very affectionate" name for that water fowl,,,, and it ain't Cormarant,

default_smile.png

default_ohmy.png

There IS another "very affectionate" name for that water fowl,,,, and it ain't Cormarant,

default_smile.png

default_ohmy.png

Its a Southern thang
default_tongue.png

Now the Koots are a whole different story altogether,
default_laugh.png

Eric........where you bin...................long time no posting.................What you think will the water turkey fly..........................LOL

Well have to start some where so here it is. 4.5 deg shaft angle and the strait edge is the water line at tub level.

Got the fillers all prepped and indoor out door carpet tape on ready to stick in place.

DSCN2896.JPG

DSCN2897.JPG

Sure is alot of strut angle!
Compared to the 7 degrees I ran on my Pinckert Gator, it's not that much. I once ran that boat with no rear sponsons and it ran great using a 1400 series prop with no cup at all. Did not fall off in the corners. Handled solid all the way around the course. In riggers we have been conditioned to shallow shaft angles for the past 30 years. Before that 4, 5, 6 and 7 degrees was the norm.

David you are going to try the higher shaft angle before sticking on the "speed shingles" correct? I think it was Don Pinckert that coined the term "speed shingles". Eric Canto could probably verify that.

Yes will start with nothing on the bottom then add them two at a time if need be.........

What am I saying thy will get put on just to see any way...............LOL

Yeah, "speed shingles" is a Pinkert term for rear sponsons mounted under the hull. His were normal depth, not shallow.

The shaft angle can work, I would experiment with some added AOA in the fronts with that much shaft angle. Of course that shaft angle is going to make your new set up even more prop sensitive.

You know its bin a wile since we ran at the pond together..................be nice if me and you got together at Keystone.

I know you have a "few" props hiding around some where .....................
default_rolleyes.gif

well gust got back from the pond.........WOW........................................

All most there.....................no speed loss in the corners..........just a little chatter from time to time ...........

Ran out of strut adjustment again..............need to make a new bracket again....................

Nothing but prop tips and turn fin in the water....................IT IS A WATER TURKEY..................................

RPM are there at 11" on the pipe......can mill and pop it right off any where on the course.......................

Eng loaded perfect same pug 2 test weeks in a row.

Will reset the front sponsons to 0 on top get some more attack angle. The fronts run perfect with the strut angle and lift to plant them when needed.

Have to mess with more strut height so I can keep some strut angle.

The drive tube will be slammed up on the bottom of rocker at this point.

Also have a bigger prop than the V965 to try and swing.

Jerry told me this will flip a boat over.......LOL..................WILL SEE................................

This is the fastest and best handling the boat has ever bin......

Now the test will be can I race it like this?????????????????????????????

O almost forgot the VAC1.05 runs killer.................................LOL

DSCN2901.JPG

DSCN2902.JPG

well gust got back from the pond.........WOW........................................

All most there.....................no speed loss in the corners..........just a little chatter from time to time ...........

Ran out of strut adjustment again..............need to make a new bracket again....................

Nothing but prop tips and turn fin in the water....................IT IS A WATER TURKEY..................................

RPM are there at 11" on the pipe......can mill and pop it right off any where on the course.......................

Eng loaded perfect same pug 2 test weeks in a row.

Will reset the front sponsons to 0 on top get some more attack angle. The fronts run perfect with the strut angle and lift to plant them when needed.

Have to mess with more strut height so I can keep some strut angle.

The drive tube will be slammed up on the bottom of rocker at this point.

Also have a bigger prop than the V965 to try and swing.

Jerry told me this will flip a boat over.......LOL..................WILL SEE................................

This is the fastest and best handling the boat has ever bin......

Now the test will be can I race it like this?????????????????????????????

O almost forgot the VAC1.05 runs killer.................................LOL
David just go ahead and make her a Surface drive Rigger...
default_smile.png
See you soon.

So ..do you think with less rake in the prop you could run less shaft angle ? It seems like it may be fighting the bow lift of a high rake prop to have to run so much shaft angle. IDK just thinking .

That's the question how will it work in race water..............................

Have to get a little closer to the best set up then I will toss it in with all the gas boats at the pond.

The progressive rake in the V props is more than likely why the boat dose not hold the setup all the time.

Now if I could get a non progressive rake in the same blade design that may be the ticket......

Wish Andy still had his CNC................................................Game over......................................

David,

2719 with 19 degrees of rake

The V-series is going to trip you in race water if you kill

the front angle of attack. Interesting set up?

Time Will Tell,

Mark Sholund

The problem is the boat will not launch that much blade area. It likes to run on the tips of the prop with small blade area and small progression.

LE pitch and 30% progression with small area no cup seam to be the ticket with this setup. It is loading on the true pitch not the cup.

The rocker lets the back end drop that is why the v prop hooks right up and pops off so good.

Form what I have seen to day the front is stabbing in on wakes and stalling the boat a little and the prop lift and angle of the shaft are popping the back up and unloading the prop.

Will reset the front sponsons and see what that dose first. Thy are still set for the old setup to hold the front down.

You know it is not that bad as the boat is hauling the mail and hooks right back up and shoots off like a dart not losing a beat.

There is no prop walk at all I have noticed also with the small blade area in the water. rudder neutral running at this point.

Have a prop on the way from Andy.............casting from one of his CNC props in SS.

The boat is drivable as it is now. goes where you want when you want. throttle is crisp and predictable.

O and fast as stink ............................................
default_wink.png

O did I mention the VAC 1.05 is still in one piece...........................
default_biggrin.png
............... sorry not use to my crazy engs saying in one piece........LOL.

Today I ran the K-90 powered 80 boat with the same set up as David's, except that I ran the very shallow "speed shingles". This is the same way I ran the 67 boat at the 2014 Fall nats and that boat ran perfect with a 1600 prop. That boat ran perfect the first time in the water which was the 2nd round of the race and finished 3rd as I was just feeling out the boat. The boat won the 3rd and 4th round running against the best 67 hydros anywhere. Was just 200 points out of 1st place for the weekend after not running the first round at all...because I was still putting that new boat together while the first round was being run. LOL

Now that I think about it, I ran these same type of shallow rears on the 30.5cc QD powered SGX that I set the oval record with last year.

Anyway, I ran the V967 on the 80 boat like David did and got the same little hop. Also ran a 2170. Not so much hop. Finally a put on an H-48. The H-48 ran perfect and had very good speed .Launched and milled slow with all three props. Had the pipe set at 10-1/8" for all three props.

I do think the shallow rears are helping the launch, especially on the 80 and 90 SGX tubs, because they have a very large amount of rocker in the bottom. Something we built into them for great rough water performance.

David mentioned on the phone today that he would try his "speed Shingles" the next time out.

Back