About time..........................

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well spent some time talking with Andy to day. Bin a wile since we had a good conversation about boats and as always was very enlightening.

So I am going to try some thing totally new with the Eagle.

I will post some picks when It is done............

Lets just say it should make this Eagle FLY.........................................

Keep tuned more to come....................................
Yep! David's old bird is going to grow some new wings! ...and get a little clipping too! :)

Well here it is nothing but wing .....................................will see how it fly's here this weekend.

DSCN2881.JPG

DSCN2882.JPG

OK fresh off the glass and ready to test this weekend. Have a new prop Andy prepped for testing with this set up.

Also shortened the pipe up this time around.

Wish me luck here goes nothing........................

DSCN2883.JPG

DSCN2884.JPG

OK fresh off the glass and ready to test this weekend. Have a new prop Andy prepped for testing with this set up.

Also shortened the pipe up this time around.

Wish me luck here goes nothing........................
OK, good luck!...btw you're going to need more prop that one looks way too small, lol.

YA its just a break in prop...........
default_rolleyes.gif

Well spent two days testing the new setup..............................

Have to put all my props away and start over....................................

Have to re think every thing I thought I knew about what works on a rigger..................................

Every thing I thought I knew about what is needed to load a nitro eng on a rigger is out the door.......................

Cup is not needed blade area is not needed TE rake is not needed.............................

The boat runs so clean that all the drag from the stuff hanging on the back changes how the prop works.

Running the boat is totally different. Only the prop is walking on top the front ride surfaces hardly ever touch.

This Eagle is literally flying on the prop.

The boat is very prop sensitive...........only got a handle on what direction to go after two days and many different props.

Never took a plug testing............the eng loaded on props that would only clean out the eng if I leaned it till the plug blew before.

5.6 TE pitch and the eng loaded and revved higher than any I have run before with 4.32 LE pitch.................sounded like a .21 revving.............

A gas sport hydro prop ABC 2718 was the eye opener.

This will be a very interesting boat to test with ...................

More to come............................

O and the VAC 1.05 is still in one piece and it SCREAMS.......................................
default_wink.png

Last edited by a moderator:
It's got to be moving with that prop. David had also made his pipe shorter than ever before. I have been testing a similar set up on a 67 boat. The boat is definitely fast on a smaller than normal prop. I am running the same X-2 wings on the 67 boat, but with very shallow rear sponsons. David decided to try the set up with no rears to see what would happen. Not sure no rears at all will work out yet, but the very shallow rears are working great.

The rear wing and shallow rear sponson concept comes from the Original Jaguar that I designed in 1994. The 1994 Jaguar won IMPBA US-1 in 67 hydro two years in a row ( 1994, 1995) and also set some SAW records.

It slows down in the corners and dose not mill at this point with the props I have tried.

The props become really efficient that is the problem if you want to call it some thing.

Have tried about 10 different props to this point in the testing. Few will even plain the boat.

I was so concerned with loading the eng to this point that all my props will not even plain the boat.

Did not change any strut setting yet. Did not want to get ahead of my self. Needed to nail down a prop to test first.

There is no unloading of the prop with this setup when you run over rough water. The eng dose not cut in and out from loading and unloading.

I am going to try the big V props next week end. Also some big strut angle changes.

Your are under the impression that your VAC1.05 will pull more prop than the RS1.03s that I run.......????

Scott has done wonders for me too...However......

You have to many variables. Your scientific approach dose not have a base. The only thing I changed.........first was the motor.

Good luck testing.

Getting ready for the next test session.........

Made some fillers for the rocker on the boat. Will add two first then ad two more.

Will use two sided tape to attach for testing.

This will replicate a flat bottom tub...........

Also got a new blade to swing.....V 965 stock pitch and cup just S&B...........

This prop is notorious for not hooking up......SO maybe it will be the ticket on this setup.

Also set up 3.5 DEG shaft angle with the drive dog on the table and tub level.

Dam the torpedo's full steam ahead...............................

I think it's time to break out the eagle tree again..............
default_wink.png

You know that scientific stuff and all.................................
default_rolleyes.gif

DSCN2887.JPG

DSCN2888.JPG

DSCN2891.JPG

DSCN2893.JPG

Looking good David!

Make sure the strut slot will allow plenty of upward adjustment. Remember what we talked about in that respect, especially with the V series prop.

I am bottomed out on the slot in the strut with this setup. I Will have to make the slot longer.

Thanks for the reminder...........getting old S#%$S........................

Good for you for trying different stuff!

I've found playing with my own designs the last 20 years or so that it's the total package that has to work, and that one change often effects a couple other things.

Fur shur the V965 is tough to keep hooked up (in other words has lots of lift). Do you think having a flat bottom will help that? What about the 3*+ shaft angle?
default_rolleyes.gif

Don't know what it will do...............but I am fixing to find out....................................

I will try the ABC prop first as the base and just the strut adj. I can add the fillers at the pond one set at a time.

Not sure if taking the release out in the back of the boat will add lift. Thinking it will more than any thing make the tub neutral.

Going down the straits with the wings in full control lift is not the problem. but when you hit the corners and the air goes off the wings and lift is needed. There is no crutch under the boat to prop it up or unload the prop. so when the boat back end drops in the corners and the prop drop in the water more. The right prop will lift the back end up. It is all going to be in the prop how it works.

I have a few ideas on where to go with the prop. But I have to take it one step at a time so my brain dose not get confused.......LOL

The wing are set to lock the boat level. If I was thinking a head more I would have made the wings bolt on with a slot for the back bolt. That way I could change the attack angle. But then It would gust give me one more thing to run around in circles with......LOL

Getting the V prop to run on just the tips will control the lift in the prop. So the strut height and angle will be the lift control.

So the thinking is low lift on the tips down the straits then as the prop drops in the blade area will induce lift.

The high strut angle will keep the drive tube and the strut out of the water. When up on the tips there will be almost no lift so the strut angle will help with this. Also as the blade drops in the corner it will induce more lift.

I know it is hard to grasp in your head but I think it is worth a shot.

The idea in my mind is let the prop control the boat ride. Lots of prop work and testing is the only way to find out.

Don't know where this will go. Almost gave up and cut them off. But the last run made me want to keep trying.........................

Talking with Andy is always a joy for me. He dose not give you all the answers but makes you think to find your own.

Moby dose the same thing to me........................
default_wacko.png

Can't really answer your questions about how the wings effects any thing yet as I am still sorting things out.

As far as the CG I have not checked it since I installed the VAC 1.05. I did have to move the eng mounting back some to get it to fit.

Will check it before this next test section.

Not going to get to wrapped up in the CG placement. It is what it is. I will work with it . Don't think a small 1/4" change will make a big difference one way or the other.

It can't be to far off original as the VAC eng is longer than the RS. That and the boats attitude was the same with the VAC 1.05 before I made the wing change.

Have to make a strut mount tomorrow. Want to be able to rise the strut to have the 70% mark on the prop at the water line with up to 7 deg of strut angle for the high mark.

At that point the tube will almost be level with the filler blocks.

Latest posts

Back