4 OB records set at Huntsville

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HTV Boats

If all you want is the numbers, their in the "Results" forum. Details, babble, and a little bragging to follow so read on or tune out.

First thing I have to do is recognize and give credit to people who contributed.

First. Ron Drake (Team Ugly- prospect) who let Jay run his Nova/Lynx in the 2 tunnel classes B-C. Ron can fill in any details as I was working on the D and FE boats. He did run Technology fuels. Ron also supplied his expertise and Nelson powerheads for the D effort.

Next; Shawn Junker for a pair of Vision .45 hulls that ran flawless even when conditions were not perfect.

Henry Nelson who makes Nelson outboards (in the USA) and help at the test pond from pylon racer John Albritton.

Mike (Grimracer) Zaborowski, a long time friend from the Midwest who has been a mentor and makes the fuel that powered our D motors.

That leaves props by Mark Sholund and Andy Brown who met me at exit 460 on I 75 to make sure we had last minute props.

Finally my son Jay made his dad proud and grandson (prospect and gopher) Max fresh from rehab after spending time in the Team Shaw trailer being brainwashed at Charleston.

You don't own records you just set them and see how long they stand, till someone else has the stars align on their day at the pond. That said in the words of Rick Flair,"if you want to be the man you have to beat the man". 4 of the five records Jay drove were held by John Finch(Q mono) and outboard records held by Bill Bigelow, Kently Porter, and Tommy Lee. One has stood for 24 years.

We will continue the 1/3 mile effort in time. May be a while before the stars align like this weekend again.

Mic

Last edited by a moderator:
Congratulations! Sounds like you guys had a great weekend.

Kentley Porter

Great stuff man... congrats to all involved. I dont RT boats but understand fully how much work it takes to get just a few 10ths..

Great to see that Grimracer fuel at the top in D..

Congarts to ALL!

Grimracer

Would be cool to hear how his plugs held up using the GR fuel...

Mike,

I have to say plugs held up very well. Not that we didn't toast any. When they failed the element was intact just not attached to relight. We also had a pipe that pulled out elements for us.

Mic

Tight work Mic and Jay- you told me in Sowega you guys where going after it this year and you drilled it- awesome job.
default_cool.png
default_cool.png
default_cool.png

See you guys in a few weeks for HSC .

Andy

Congrats to the record setters and also to the Huntsville Gang for all the behind the scene work that is required to make records trials possible for us every year.

Thanks!

-Carl

Last edited by a moderator:
Shane,

A tunnel qualifies as a hydro so that's what we ran. Testing props in rougher water and just declared the runs as a hydro as we already had the tunnel record.

Mic

We had some GREAT water at times! Sure you would have to wait at times but if a b tunnel can make a record run the water HAD to be pretty darn good! Huntsville is one of the best lakes around and we set some records this past weekend. 12 to be exact!

Paul

I also would like to thank the Huntsville Team as they do a great job and I always look forward to record trials there.

Here’s my two cents. Thank U to Huntsville for putting on the event especially Paul and David, both who got there early, and stayed late everyday giving their time so others could have fun. Again thank you Mark Sholund, and Andy Brown for Props. Props often get overlooked, but they are at the top of the list of importance for boats. Why do props when U can get them from Mark and Andy. Grimracer helped us with fuel for this, but also for electric batteries and motors, so again thank U.

Big thanks to my dad, he worked for months getting us ready for time trials. He spent a lot of time getting many boats ready, most of what we brought with us never hit the water. I’ve been lucky having my dad loan me his boats to drive to been part of multiple US1’s, National Championships, World Tunnel Championships, and Records. Unfortunately if I had to set up equipment, none of those things are within my ability, so thank U Dad.

Ron Drake put a motor on our D boat that was outrageous. With the right driver I think the boat is capable of the 1/3 mile record, only time will tell. Ron was focused mainly on the 40 boat. When he was tuning wrenches putting on his motor the water got right. I asked him if I could go take his 20 boat for a few laps. First run we broke the B ¼ mile record. The boat was so fast I actually asked Ron if we could richen it up, or put a different prop on that would slow me down a little. His actual response “I’ve never been asked by anyone to slow down a boat”. Makes me imagine what putting a sprint car motor in go cart would feel like. Regardless a great experience Ron let me have.

Been a lot of talk about the Thor I'm sure its a very good boat. We speak to Carl from time to time, and he’s always been great and helpful, I consider Carl a friend in the hobby. His designs are absolutely unique and always do well in records and heat racing. Never driven a Thor, and never seen one run, think this year could be a healthy fun rivalry between Vision and Thor. With all the Thor hype I think the 40 Vision Shawn builds gets overlooked a little. Most don’t realize but Shawn keeps making subtle changes to both his 20 and 40 which keep improving a very good boat. My Dad’s been working with Shawn over the last year to improve the Visions aerodynamics making the boat much less prone to blow over. With both nitro and electric we’re pushing the Vision faster than ever and are having very little problems blowing over. Also the Vision holds much more speeds in turns than any boat I’ve ever driven. Been a lot of talk about the Thor, but I believe Vision won Both 40 and Open at the champs this year, but the past is the past. Stewart race field looks good, looks like just a few keyboard racers in hiding yet. For those not able to attend the Stewart race, I believe Ron Shaw is hosting the Keyboard Tunnel Masters the same weekend, which looks good also.

Jay Halbrehder

Here’s my two cents. Thank U to Huntsville for putting on the event especially Paul and David, both who got there early, and stayed late everyday giving their time so others could have fun. Again thank you Mark Sholund, and Andy Brown for Props. Props often get overlooked, but they are at the top of the list of importance for boats. Why do props when U can get them from Mark and Andy. Grimracer helped us with fuel for this, but also for electric batteries and motors, so again thank U.

Big thanks to my dad, he worked for months getting us ready for time trials. He spent a lot of time getting many boats ready, most of what we brought with us never hit the water. I’ve been lucky having my dad loan me his boats to drive to been part of multiple US1’s, National Championships, World Tunnel Championships, and Records. Unfortunately if I had to set up equipment, none of those things are within my ability, so thank U Dad.

Ron Drake put a motor on our D boat that was outrageous. With the right driver I think the boat is capable of the 1/3 mile record, only time will tell. Ron was focused mainly on the 40 boat. When he was tuning wrenches putting on his motor the water got right. I asked him if I could go take his 20 boat for a few laps. First run we broke the B ¼ mile record. The boat was so fast I actually asked Ron if we could richen it up, or put a different prop on that would slow me down a little. His actual response “I’ve never been asked by anyone to slow down a boat”. Makes me imagine what putting a sprint car motor in go cart would feel like. Regardless a great experience Ron let me have.

Been a lot of talk about the Thor I'm sure its a very good boat. We speak to Carl from time to time, and he’s always been great and helpful, I consider Carl a friend in the hobby. His designs are absolutely unique and always do well in records and heat racing. Never driven a Thor, and never seen one run, think this year could be a healthy fun rivalry between Vision and Thor. With all the Thor hype I think the 40 Vision Shawn builds gets overlooked a little. Most don’t realize but Shawn keeps making subtle changes to both his 20 and 40 which keep improving a very good boat. My Dad’s been working with Shawn over the last year to improve the Visions aerodynamics making the boat much less prone to blow over. With both nitro and electric we’re pushing the Vision faster than ever and are having very little problems blowing over. Also the Vision holds much more speeds in turns than any boat I’ve ever driven. Been a lot of talk about the Thor, but I believe Vision won Both 40 and Open at the champs this year, but the past is the past. Stewart race field looks good, looks like just a few keyboard racers in hiding yet. For those not able to attend the Stewart race, I believe Ron Shaw is hosting the Keyboard Tunnel Masters the same weekend, which looks good also.

Jay Halbrehder
hahahaha

I cannot wait to see some of this stuff Jay, been hearing lots of good things about the drivers and racing quality over there ;-)

Jay, just to be correct- I have yet to receive his application for the SKRA ( Southeastern Keyboard Racing Association) as I am the only person that can approve new members, and we typically dont approve those that are butt hurt by what they lay out but cant take- time will tell
default_laugh.png
default_laugh.png
default_laugh.png
default_laugh.png
default_tongue.png

Btw - Hell of a job, you guys both called it at Jimmys race in Sowega, and you backed it up, NICE WORK.

See ya in a few weeks.

Andy

Back