ODMBA SAW record trials results

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Don Ferrette

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Supporting Member
Vendor
Here are the records set this past weekend at the ODMBA Elizabeth City SAW site. The info listed under the record time is the boat, motor, prop, fuel and radio in that order-

Steve Sutton

LSG 36 Mono

74.75 MPH

Seaducer - MBRE Zenoah - Prop Works - Gas - JR

Steve Speas

LSG 36 Cat

82.35 MPH

Aeromarine/Avenger - Butch the Boatman - Propworks - Gas - Futaba

Mike Luszcz

Q Outboard Tunnel

64.65MPH

Woodstuff - Castle/Neu - Octura - Zippy Flightmax - Airtronics

Dick Loeb

P Outboard Tunnel

53.170 MPH

Woodstuff - AquaCraft - Octura - Zippy - Futaba

"Mustard" Bill Bigelow

C Outboard Tunnel

65.420 MPH

Lynx - Orlic Nova Rossi - Oz-Spec Octura - K-Zam - Futaba

John Finch

E Hydro

116.390 MPH

67 K-Zam - CMB67 - Grim Octura - Technology - Futaba

John Finch

Gas Sport Hydro

91.830 MPH

Blazer Marine - Butch the Boatman Zenoah - Prop Works - Gas - Futaba

Kentley Porter

C Hydro

21 K-Zam - Oz-Spec Nova Rossi - Oz-Spec Octura - K-Zam - Futaba

Kentley Porter

Sport 21 Hydro

Whiplash - Orlic 5-port Nova Rossi - Oz-Spec ABC - K-Zam Futaba

Congrats to the guys who nailed down new records or upped ones they already had. I wish that I could have upped my own twin record but it was not in the cards with me busting up my boat not once but twice during the course of the weekend. No big deal as I know what changes will be needed to get me where I want to be with the twin. Also the bad luck bug was not just hovering around my area as Aaron Alberico who made the trip all the way from Australia donated about $1,000 worth of hardware to the pond gods off of his twin, Carl Van Houten and Ron Drake fought a new design all weekend and Kentley trashed a lower unit on his o/b tunnel hitting what was believed to be a turtle on one of his passes. No matter for KP as he had some seriously fast runs and gave a good show with his other boats. Steve Speas, Steve Sutton and John Finch lit up the cord puller numbers, Mustard Bill got his C o/b record and John nailed the E hydro record with a box stock CMB67 greenie. At the end of the weekend Carl and Ron finally got to show a good pass of 76.844 with that 45 Nelson powered hydro they'd been fighting with. Speaking of a good show I watched the fasted pass I've ever seen by a nitro powered boat in a blast that Aaron made Saturday evening with his Picco .45 powered rigger, the sight and sound was simply awesome. The lights picked up a 1.618 time on his right to left pass which is 139mph. On the back up pass the motor began misfiring badly 1/2 way through the traps yet he still posted something like a 2.1 second pass. While the combined time was more than good enough to take the record Aaron felt he needed to do it again so the "internet doubters" would be quieted and said he would only accept that record run if he could either repeat it or get very close. Unfortunately it became painfully apparent that the motor was hurt as no matter what Aaron did on Sunday it just would not clear out and go like it did on Saturday. So as the sun set into the tree line that evening Aaron conceded that the little Picco was most likely toasted and vowed to return to try again. I must say right here and now THAT speaks volumes for this guy's honesty and integrity as he could have just as easily taken the times and I know there are those out there who would have done just that. Anyone who was there can tell you that he definitely has some big league bad azz stuff and knows how to go fast! I also have to say that Aaron was just a blast to hang out with, a good dude and genuinely funny guy as he fit right with the band of cut ups and comedians we make up and I look forward to him returning next time. B)

Last edited by a moderator:
It was a pleasure meeting everyone at the race. Had a blast and got to see some fast boats that one can only dream of seeing! Congrats to everyone! Mike Luszcz

Great job & congrats to everyone, I know how much time & work it takes to put on the SAW races and to run a boat or two at one of these events :D

Don F,

Is the video of Aaron's 2 passes the ones you are refering to?

Don :)

Great job & congrats to everyone, I know how much time & work it takes to put on the SAW races and to run a boat or two at one of these events :D

Don F,

Is the video of Aaron's 2 passes the ones you are refering to?

Don :)
Hey there Mr. Maher how's it goin' out your way? :)

If you are referring to the video Steve Speas posted that is the boat but not timed runs. If I recall correctly Aaron was just trying different props to see if they'd get up when Steve shot that clip. B)

To all,

The ODMBA speed meet was a BLAST!

As always KP and his group was a pleasure to hang out with. Aaron showed us all what twisting it up is all about. Aaron is very smart guy and a true sport. Great show Aaron! I was tired when my plane touched down but then I thought....Aaron has 30 hours of flying to get back home! That made my little 4 hours seem like nothing.

I have to give Tunnel Bill a good word too because every time I go to this meet, Tunnel Bill is always helping me with what ever I need. Thanks Bill for all you do not just for me but for all of us! Thanks KP, Tracy (The team Mom) and Randy for putting up with all of us for 5 days. I know we wore you guys out. My O/B Hydro kept myself and Drake busy the whole time. We are not Hydro guys but we learned a lot this weekend by hanging out with and getting pointers from the Top Dogs of the sport. Got to see John Finch, Don, Timer Jim, the 2 Steves, Preston Hall, Dick Tyndal and the FE guys too.

I had a blast and look foward to going back! Maybe next time we can get some good numbers! I had to put that in there for KP...LOL

-Carl Van Houten,

KP AARON 115MPH.JPG

VANS 7.7 OB HYDRO.JPG

DRAKE.JPG

MUSTARD BILL ARRON.JPG

Just got back home from the ODMBA SAW trials,

30 hours of traveling is a long time, but every minute was worth it,

some of the best bunch of guys i have ever meet, and some dam fast boats...

KP, thanks buddy, you are one hell of a host, one of the nicest guys around.(Dam brother you need drive on the other side of the road)..lol :lol:

and stop eating Hardie's every dam morning..lol :p

one word K-ZAM

Bill(tunnel boat), this mother is one hell of of nice guy, and can down some serious drinks.. more then happy to put his own stuff aside and help others,

Carl(MR lynx) and Ron Drake(the snake),

You guys are awesome, some great info on setting up O/B tunnels, and keep working on that 45 O/B hydro

as it has some seroius potential to go real fast,

Preston Hall, thanks buddy for giving me a bed to sleep,

and that Gin and Tonic went down real good...

Don Ferrette, John Finch, Steve Speas, Steve Sutton, and Jim,

you are just awesome, made me very welome, felt like i had known all you guys for years,

thank you all for your help over the weekend...

it was awesome to see, Steve Speas run 82mph + with his Aeromarine/Avenger cat

Steve Sutton smoken the water up with his 77mph LSG 36 Mono,

Kentley run 82+ with sport 21, and 106mph+with his 28 rigger,

tunnel boat bill got just under 70mph with .28 nova

John Finch set new 67 rigger record at 116mph+ with stock cmb67, alot more left in this boat,(John has been working on that record for few years now) and great to see him get there...

Johns gas sport hydro run 93mph,

Don having as much luck as me with his twin. Don back to the drawing board...lol ;)

Well, I had a little bad luck over the weekend, here we go...

twin saw rigger--

this was a new boat that had only seen water once before, it was pretty awesome to see this run, pulling some serious rpm's and props that should have been on the back of the Titanic, but on its first seroius run I hit something in the water and ripped the hole transom off the boat

and sent it to the pond gods.

45 hydro--

Well what can i say, this thing was crazy fast, went through the traps at 1.618sec(139mph) and on the back up pass i hurt the motor, and it was hunting through the traps and still went through at 2.1sec, I had an average well over the record, but i declined the record as i wanted to do it again,

as i new there would be alot of doubt of this speed, but when you have guys like John Finch, steve Sutton, Kentley, Don etc say they have never seen a boat go so fast in all there years of SAW trials.

you know you got something special...

John Finch's audio tacho read the rpm's at 33000rpm's+ on my picco 45 and with the L.P on the prop it was more then enough to go that fast. On Sunday afternoon i ran the boat again but the motor was to hurt to make any serious power, so will wait until next time.

I have to give a big thanks to my good buddy Ian Inverarity

for all his work on helping me, and all that custom hardware off the twin that is now at the bottom of the lake

thanks buddy....

All in all i had a great weekend and what an awesome bunch of guys to hang out with, thank you

i have over 90 video's and pic's of this weekend will post some and alot more to come...

1.618sec 45 hydro pass

(not the one that tore transom from boat)
Regards,

Aaron

Just got back home from the ODMBA SAW trials,

30 hours of traveling is a long time, but every minute was worth it,

some of the best bunch of guys i have ever meet, and some dam fast boats...

KP, thanks buddy, you are one hell of a host, one of the nicest guys around.(Dam brother you need drive on the other side of the road)..lol :lol:

and stop eating Hardie's every dam morning..lol :p

Bill(tunnel boat), this mother is one hell of of nice guy, and can down some serious drinks.. more then happy to put his own stuff aside and help others,

Carl(MR lynx) and Ron Drake(the snake),

You guys are awesome, some great info on setting up O/B tunnels, and keep working on that 45 O/B hydro

as it has some seroius potential to go real fast,

Preston Hall, thanks buddy for giving me a bed to sleep,

and that Gin and Tonic went down real good...

Don Ferrette, John Finch, Steve Speas, Steve Sutton, and Jim,

you are just awesome, made me very welome, felt like i had known all you guys for years,

thank you all for your help over the weekend...

it was awesome to see, Steve Speas run 82mph + with his Aeromarine/Avenger cat

Steve Sutton smoken the water up with his 77mph LSG 36 Mono,

Kentley run 82+ with sport 21, and 106mph+with his 28 rigger,

tunnel boat bill got just under 70mph with .28 nova

John Finch set new 67 rigger record at 116mph+ with stock cmb67, alot more left in this boat,(John has been working on that record for few years now)

Johns gas sport hydro run 93mph,

Don having as much luck as me with his twin. Don back to the drawing board...lol ;)

Well, I had a little bad luck over the weekend, here we go...

twin saw rigger--

this was a new boat that had only seen water once before, it was pretty awesome to see this run, pulling some serious rpm's and props that should have been on the back of the Titanic, but on its first seroius run I hit something in the water and ripped the hole transom off the boat

and sent it to the pond gods.

45 hydro--

Well what can i say, this thing was crazy fast, went through the traps at 1.618sec(139mph) and on the back up pass i hurt the motor, and it was hunting through the traps and still went through at 2.1sec, I had an average well over the record, but i declined the record as i wanted to do it again,

as i new there would be alot of doubt of this speed, but when you have guys like John Finch, steve Sutton, Kentley, Don etc say they have never seen a boat go so fast in all there years of SAW trials.

you know you got something special...

John Finch's audio tacho read the rpm's at 33000rpm's on my picco 45 and with the L.P on the prop it was more then enough to go that fast. On Sunday afternoon i ran the boat again but the motor was to hurt to make any serious power, so will wait until next time.

I have to give a big thanks to my good buddy Ian Inverarity

for all his work on helping me, and all that custom hardware off the twin that is now at the bottom of the lake

thanks buddy....

All in all i had a great weekend and what an awesome bunch of guys to hang out with, thank you

i have over 90 video's and pic's of this weekend will post some and alot more to come...

1.618sec 45 hydro pass

Well done Aaron that is fantastic

and iam lost for words the revs revs revs

i thought i had a fast saw boat with a picco 45 but yours is just (lost for words ) i need to go back to the drawing board

bad luck with the picco 90s ( always next time mate ) but they sound so nice

man i going to have to save some money and see them go in the flesh

( get the bed ready Aaron (LOL) )

talk to you soon mate

neal

Thanks Don, Carl and Aaron for some coverage of the event, it's given me some inspiration to get into this side of the hobby, hopefully we can start running some speed trials here downunder... otherwise you may have another Aussie visiting your shores next year...

Aaron, great run there mate.... hopefully you extracted some good info out of Carl on the Lynx :p

Cheers,

ONYA AARON, OZZY OZZY OZZY OI OI OI OZZY OI OZZY OI ,, OZZY OZZY OZZY OI OI OI , MAN THE PUMP ,,OR MAN THE F### UP ,, LORCH YA ANY TIME BUD . safe trip home mate .. stuie 335 RMBC :ph34r:

Great report on the event guys,

sounds like IMPBA better start stitching some faster speed patches. :D

Aaron, is your 45 rigger one of Andy's 21's with the PIcco 45 shoehorned in?

Tyler

Back