27 Alpha Gas Crapshooter

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great job, Stu. Really looking forward to more video and results. First class as always.

Well here is my experience.... I have 3 gallons through my CMB Alpha 27 so far and it has been 100% reliable all season long. Mine is stock 2014 specs running a Zippkit pipe at 12 1/4" from the engine block's exhaust flange. I have been racing with a stock ABC 2916/2 - 20 degree rake prop at 68-72 mph; the latest strut change gave me 72.4 mph. Other props have been 75 mph, but with a slight handling issue that would out weigh the 3 mph gain in a heat race. I think I need more weight on my rear ski of the Envy, so I'm hoping to get the engine farther back this winter. With more rear weight I feel I can get a little more speed. I run 100LL with 16 oz. of Klotz Super Techniplate per gallon.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had said awhile back that you need to look. I wanted to get some races under my belt while learning about gas. Mark Grim has been a great help with set up and props with motor. From Hobart on (Mark gave me the best prop then), the motor has been unbelievable. Lots of people have admired the appearance of motor because it is so big and looks like a real racing motor. Looks like you could put in your cart and race with it.

I have raced this boat/motor set up from this spring. It won all races entered (six races). Hobart was the best test. One race at Hobart, I had to race Mark Grim. He jumped the clock and I was right behind him. He is very fast with the CMB ALPHA also so i pressed the boat so he would not catch me. Another race I jumped the clock and caught the crowd for the win on the sixth lap. Perfect score with the ALPHA at Hobart. ALPHA won 1st and third at Hobart.

Most races have been won at half or three fourths throttle.

Can't wait for Charleston now.

Stu

Stu, what's the price on the engine/pipe setup just like you have in this boat?

mb
Mike,

The ALPHA is $960. I am running a "Hot Pipe" and I don't remember the price. Maybe $125. The CMB carb is OK, but Mark recommended a Walbro carb and that is what I am using. It is important to run square drive with this motor. Mine is square drive at the strut.

Stu

How does the strut stand up to the push on it by the drive dog? Ran the square drive but never could get the parts to last long, had a couple hard washers and a couple fiber washers stacked up back there. Had a ball bearing setup that didn't live long either. I guess the bolt spread on the exhaust flange is the same as a QD rear exhaust, or do they make a special header flange for the CMB?

Mike

Bolt pattern is the same. It is just when you order it make sure I am told is going on a CMB motor. The reason being is that the CMB motors have an o-ring on the engine, So I use a different spigot on the end of the pipe for this.

Todd

Quickdraw

Mike,

My strut uses a nylon trust washer front and back. Very little wear. I did change leaded teflon bushings before Hobart. I had about 5 gallons of fuel run on the original bushings. Make sure your prop is perfectly balanced.

Stu

I have run a variety of thrust washers including the Octura washers and generic nylon washers. They all work well, but I needed to replace them about every gallon of fuel. I see this as no big deal as they are dirt cheap and you are removing your cable anyways for grease and inspection. The washers will start to mushroom and will then fit tight on the drive shaft. This is when you know to replace them. I was able to adapt a square drive cable to my Zippkit strut with no other changes to the strut setup. So you can still use your favorite strut setup if you like. All I did was have Bob Tuttle square me a standard shaft at the length I needed and then I used a nylon washer and shaft saver on the engine side of the cable to keep the cable from falling out when the engine is running out of the water.

Back